PDA

View Full Version : HexenDS v0.25

wraggster
October 29th, 2006, 01:12
Sektor (http://gtamp.com/DS/hexends.htm) has released a new version of Hexen for the Nintendo DS, heres whats new etc:

This is a port of Hexen to the DS. Rich did all the hard work. I just added support for more devices and changed the controls. It has sound and touchscreen support. Save games don't work. You need the retail hexen.wad, it is not compatible with the shareware version. Saves are written to /data/hexen/ but if you try to load them, you will get an error like "Corrupt save game: Segment [108] failed alignment check".

It uses Chishm's libfat to read the hexen.wad. Libfat is compatible with MK2/3, GBAMPCF, M3CF, M3SD, SCCF, SCSD and NinjaDS. I'm not sure about DS-X.

If you have a G6, EZ4Lite or a 256mbit flashcart then you will need to use the GBFS version. The GBFS version requires the .wad file to be attached to the .nds, rather than stored seperately.

Controls:
- dpad to turn and move.
- touch screen to look around.
- A button fires.
- Y button jumps.
- L button cycles through inventory.
- R button cycles through weapons.
- X button uses objects (doors, switches)
- X button + dpad to strafe
- B button uses the selected inventory item.
- Select brings up the menu and exits out of it (acts as escape).
- Start selects menu items, or toggles the automap when not in a menu.
- X+Up/Down on dpad flies up/down while in fly mode.

Touch screen sensitivity can be changed in options menu. There is a special ds menu for changing gamma and other ds-specific things (such as level warp and give all cheats).

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Mourningstar
October 29th, 2006, 02:08
If you have a G6, EZ4Lite or a 256mbit flashcart then you will need to use the GBFS version. The GBFS version requires the .wad file to be attached to the .nds, rather than stored seperately.

What does that mean?

I have a G6 and tried the old version of Hexen and could never get it to work...

I just tried downloading this and when I try to open it it says its a corrupted file....did you try it Wraggster?

Sektor
October 29th, 2006, 17:36
I downloaded it, the file seems fine. It's compressed with 7-zip, so that may be a problem if you try to open it with something other than 7zip or the latest winrar.

I haven't tested it on G6 but the GBFS version worked on M3 and they have similar compatiblilty.

The readme.txt tells you how to add the .wad file to the GBFS version.

You will need gbfs.exe, lsgbfs.exe and padbin.exe (I will include them next time). You put those files and hexen.wad in the folder that has makewadgbfs.bat, run makewadgbfs.bat and after a while it should create hexenDS_wad.ds.gba. Copy hexenDS_wad.ds.gba to your G6. You don't need to copy any other files.

boule
October 30th, 2006, 13:56
Thank you Sektor, I haven't tried hexen on my DS yet, but i will definitely remediate to it (hope it will work on a g6lite^^).

jechrin_nomme
January 21st, 2007, 21:15
do i need to download the .wad file somewhere or do i have to actually purchase the game to attain it?

Sektor
January 25th, 2007, 07:15
The only legal way to get the retail hexen.wad is to purchase the game.

WhiteX
January 27th, 2007, 04:40
He said there is sound, is there music?

TeenDev
January 27th, 2007, 04:53
this should have been locked a long time ago...

HellsDelight
January 30th, 2007, 21:35
HexenDS 0.26 is out but seems to can't be downloaded at the moment:

http://gtamp.com/DS/hexends.htm

crookedmouth
February 20th, 2007, 03:50
I can load it up, play with options, choose a character but it freezes as soom as I enter a level.

I'm using .26 on an MMD. Says it's compatible. Maybe a bad WAD?

edit: ok its the touch screen causing the crash.

XDelusion
February 26th, 2007, 21:08
Well it works on my Simply now which is great, but now it plays like it's a GBA port do to the crappy Button and pad controls.

Is there any way to configure this back to using the touch screen to look around and the left shoulder button to fire, etc?

I was almost excited, but this is unplayable in this state for me.

Bring back the old controls! :)

kaspergreenday
August 30th, 2007, 16:20
why dont some dude just put all the files in a map so you just have to put the map into the flashcard ore sd card ore whatever?

Sektor
August 30th, 2007, 23:22
All the data is in a .wad file, so if the DLDI driver for your device works correctly then you just put the hexen.wad on your card and it should find it. Make sure you are using 0.26 (released long ago but this topic has 0.25 attached).

2006-01-30 v0.26 notes - Sektor
-------------------------------
-Updated libfat (now supports DLDI)
-A and B now work on the menu (previously you had to push Start and Select)
-Added libcartreset - Quit option returns to menu on supported slot-2 devices
-Level warp now works on DS-X (unexpected side effect of newer devkitARM)
-DS LED blinking is stopped at startup because DS-X annoyingly leaves it on
-DS sleeps/powersaves when closed
-Saving and loading are still broken
-I need a better icon

http://gtamp.com/DS/dualhexen.php

I could easily release 3 versions, touch version for lefties, touch version for righties and the current version but I wanted to do it properly and have custom controls. I'll try to get around to updating it or releasing multiple versions sometime and even add motion card support. I'm busy with other projects at the moment.

omgpwn
August 30th, 2007, 23:34
I have a question not really doing to this topic.. But I cant make forums can someone please Make a forum were people can link all DS home brew 3D games? only 3D games

<--3D Junky!

reginator
November 20th, 2007, 00:47
Im using an R4, and i've got the most recent firmware so I shouldn't need to dldi the hexends0.26 file, but I can't get it to find the .wad when I tried the two directories given in the readme. Im almost positive there's nothing wrong with the .wad, it just can't seem to find it when I try to start up the game. Anyone else had this happen? Is it my R4 itself, maybe?

sukhi-2006
November 20th, 2007, 00:57
This game plays fast and really smooth it does intend to slowdown, overall its an excellent project.

Da_ALC
November 20th, 2007, 10:06
Im using an R4, and i've got the most recent firmware so I shouldn't need to dldi the hexends0.26 file, but I can't get it to find the .wad when I tried the two directories given in the readme. Im almost positive there's nothing wrong with the .wad, it just can't seem to find it when I try to start up the game. Anyone else had this happen? Is it my R4 itself, maybe?

Ive noticed the R4 autopatcher does not allways work. Try doing it manually.