PDA

View Full Version : originality crisis

biagrin_sackville
June 25th, 2004, 04:58
as we all know sony are having problems being original with their games and we all know that there is a an over-abundance of shit film tie-ins. so where should they go from here. we know that sequels to top games are usually good but what do you think of the originality crisis. where are the original games

WHurricane16
June 25th, 2004, 05:01
Well, the problem is no one is original right now. *Look at the music industry. *Look at the homebrew games in this scene. *Look almost everywhere....there is a true originality crisis in the world. *I can't figure it out myself, maybe we need someone with a Psych-major to comment on this.

My guess is 3 things:

1. acceptance
2. security
3. actually the number 1 reason ----> money

biagrin_sackville
June 25th, 2004, 05:10
yeah money is a big part or should i say greed from the big companies. the big companies control the market so that stops small companies from being original. now thats fair enough because the small companies dont have the money to compete against these big companies. but the big companies, instead of putting money back into the development of original titles, put the money in their pocket. thats where the greed comes in. i think a new format is needed instead of the usual types of game such as beat em up etc. that i think is where the genius game developer is needed. somebody please discover a new type of game instead of just putting two or three formats into one game.

biagrin_sackville
June 28th, 2004, 05:34
i take it nobody wants original games then

WHurricane16
June 28th, 2004, 06:53
I've been crying about this for awhile, no one seems to care about originality around here. 'Course, this is an emulation site :D

souLLy
June 28th, 2004, 09:25
it's half about lazyness and half to do with money, if you can make a stack of money by making yet another sequel rather than having to innovate and take the risk of losing money then it's easy to see why the same games are released year after year. it sucks but its how it is.

Cap'n 1time
June 28th, 2004, 16:18
Nintendo doesnt make any origonal games... does it?! OH YEAH THEY DO!

quzar
June 28th, 2004, 17:57
you shouldnt complain about originality unless you can bring some yourself. sometimes its hard enough to come up with a small spin on an old idea.

MetaFox
June 28th, 2004, 18:15
Look at the homebrew games in this scene. Look almost everywhere....there is a true originality crisis in the world.That's one thing I can say about my games - they're weird and original. It may take me eons to complete them, but they're original. ;)

biagrin_sackville
June 29th, 2004, 03:22
well actually i do have my own ideas which ive been working on and no im not sharing them with you or anyone else.

Cap'n 1time
June 29th, 2004, 14:44
Congratulations. Find time to make a game and stop making negative comments about everything.

biagrin_sackville
June 29th, 2004, 15:07
its not a negative comment but a simple observation. good point though maybe i should make that game.

quzar
June 29th, 2004, 15:44
trust me, it isnt as easy as 'hmm maybe i should make a game'.

Cap'n 1time
June 29th, 2004, 16:14
No kidding. My friend has been working on his libraries for about a year. He said he would be ready in about 1 month. Im in charge of the graphics. What program do you use for graphics? MSPAINT OF COURSE! (actually i cheated and used the gimp a little bit)
The point of the project will be to prove that flashy graphics dont make good games... crappy graphics do!
- ps. it probably wont go to dreamcast *:'( .

biagrin_sackville
June 29th, 2004, 16:53
ive written a script with full dialogue, camera angles, and basically a full direction of the game. the only problem is that im toss at art and drawing, have no idea about graphics and coding etc. what should i do?

guymelef
June 29th, 2004, 18:16
1 originality is always a matter of focus in any art form
2 people love sequels, i love sequels
3 sequel can be in and of themselves original
4 there is not a whole lot of money involved in going out on limb with your software. there are a whole bunch of games that are original and suck.
5 take what you can get, always rent before buying and never trust someone elses opinions

Cap'n 1time
June 29th, 2004, 18:41
people have differant systems i think, but i just make sprite sheets. like the main character is in a 45x38 tile. not sure what you do from there, i guess you tell the program to seperate differant image parts.

DemoniusX
June 29th, 2004, 18:54
2-D for life

guymelef
June 29th, 2004, 19:05
2d was way cooler
metroid123
zelda 123+al the GB's
final fantasy was never the same

quzar
June 29th, 2004, 20:41
ive written a script with full dialogue, camera angles, and basically a full direction of the game. the only problem is that im toss at art and drawing, have no idea about graphics and coding etc. what should i do?

Hold an open call for coders and graphics artists. Depending on the intended platform coders will be your problem to find, but graphics people are generally universal so that should be easy.