PDA

View Full Version : Wii DVD Japan only

wraggster
October 30th, 2006, 16:15
Nintendo has "no plans" to release DVD-capable Wii outside of Japan

The enhanced Wii console, capable of DVD playback - mentioned in the latest issue of Edge - may never see the light of day outside of Japan.

Talk of the DVD-compatible Wii in Edge has caused a stir on the 'net, despite Nintendo confirming back in September it had no plans to release such a console outside of Japan.

In a statement Nintendo confirmed that "in Europe (and the Americas), we have no plans for a DVD option either internally or as an accessory at this time. DVD players are now sold so cheaply and the penetration rate is so high that we did not think it was worth including [DVD playback] and raising the price of Wii."

I heart Nintendo
October 30th, 2006, 16:17
They're taking the PISS!!! Are Nintendo so thick that they can't see how much that US and UK gamers would like have their Wii console support DVD playback!?

They did the same damn thing with the GameCube / Panasonic Q and now it seems they're gonna go and do it again.

I hope they see sense and release a DVD playable Wii outside of Japan - 'cos it'd rope in alot more people into buying a Wii.

Gottaa
October 30th, 2006, 16:47
Do you currently own a DVD player ?

I got a new one about 9 months ago for 20 quid from Tesco it's a multi-region/mp3/cd-r/dvd-r player and I don't see the need for a DVD player in it, especially given the quality of the DVD playback I've seen in other consoles.

PS/2 - Lip Syncing was out very often
X-box - Could hardly hear the DVD over the noise of the X-box

Given the choice of cheaper or with DVD player I'd go with cheaper every time. Also the Wii isn't trying to be media centre, it's a games console and I'd also happily live without the photo viewer or other channels but hey that's life.

It could also be down to the fact the HD-DVD/Blu Ray battle will be here soon enough and they don't want to get involved with the large expense of one of those players in there box.

JKKDARK
October 30th, 2006, 20:08
too bad, I would like the Wii with dvd :(

rehbock
October 30th, 2006, 20:23
Maybe they can input in Japan a dvd drive because they can sell it there at the same price and here we get a price increase

jstush04
October 30th, 2006, 22:42
yeah, seriously, who doesnt have a dvd player these days? and yes, the dvd player in the ps2 did suck. its just not neccesary. you can get dvd players for $20 these days

I heart Nintendo
October 31st, 2006, 01:02
You're speaking as people who own DVD players.

I own a PS2 as my DVD player and despite how people knock - I think it's fine.

The bottom line is that it wouldn't have hurt to have included one. Not EVERYBODY has a DVD player. I feel that including DVD playback would've roped in more casual gamers. I can't see how including it would've have driven costs up that much higher.

I remember working at a video games store one Christmas and having to pull all sorts of crap out of my ass to sell a GameCube. With the PS2, I'd mention "It plays DVD's." And they'd want one there and then.

That's my opinion. I feel Nintendo woulda benefitted from allowing DVD playback. The fact they are considering it now, shows they know to a certain extent that removing it in the first place was somewhat of a bad idea.

kcajblue
October 31st, 2006, 02:12
why Japan only?
no DVD doesnt bother me, but it would be nice to have it.

Adrenalin
October 31st, 2006, 04:47
Not EVERYBODY has a DVD player.

you sure about that XD

Gottaa
October 31st, 2006, 07:33
Going off previous Nintendo History it could as much be a plan as anything else.

Imagine in a year and a half's time.

Wii Plus is revealed, 10 different colours, rechargeable wii-more, dvd playback, some other bits which they have improved since release,

And while I'd like the Wii plus when it come out it would do a much better job at pulling in the current non-gamers as they know they would already have the current gamers, those gamers would have shown it to there non gamer friends, the seed would be planted and be fully grown by the time the Wii Plus is released.

Nintendo are constantly looking to improve the hardware they currently have in the market and I've always thought some things they just leave out on purpose.

It is still the case though a cheap standalone DVD player is much better than any integrated one's I've used. And a quick look on froogle showed I could get one for £23.44, and if you enjoy watching movies that investment is well worth it. But I'd rather pay 23 pounds less on the Wii and it not have a built in DVD player than have to pay more for something I already own and would be better than the inbuilt one.

It's one of the many reason I'd not touch the PS3, all that money and you just know it's Blu-Ray playback will be borked in some way compared to a standard Blu-Ray player. But then I hope HD-DVD wins the war, and TBH I'm not touching either with a bargepole until the winner is 100% clear.