PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo and its developers were covert with Wii

wraggster
November 2nd, 2006, 00:14
Business Week examines the Wii as compared to Sony's PS3 from a non-gamer perspective. Though somewhat redundant, the piece offers good insight as to how the Wiimote came to fruition (once a cell phone?), favorable analyst predictions (Wii to initially outsell the PS3), and the amount of stealth used to mask Nintendo's motion-sensing mojo:

"Development of the Wii took place behind an absolute shroud of secrecy. When Sega finally got a sneak preview in early 2005, it immediately offered Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Monkey Ball for the Wii's launch [Note: Sega strongly supported the 'Cube] ... France's Ubisoft and a half-dozen other studios excitedly signed on, too. All were required to take extreme measures to prevent leaks."

The article goes on to say that Ubisoft even built new office walls to stay mum. Well that helps explain the extreme hush-hushness of the project. And the business mag concludes that despite Wii's chances, hard-core gamers will likely prefer a 360 or PS3. "But for the industry, Nintendo's machine could be a real game changer."

I heart Nintendo
November 2nd, 2006, 02:05
Hardcore gamers will go for which ever console gets the games.

If Wii manages to get ports of popular titles and as much 3rd party support as the PS3 and Xbox 360 - it'll all go in the Wii's favour.

Gottaa
November 2nd, 2006, 07:21
I don't think the Wii will initially take on as many hardcore gamer, even if they did get ports of all big titles as already shown the hardcore gamers will be should "graphics" from the rooftops along with a mix of "HD", "Pixel shading" and the like.

I think if it was possible to in two years time the current gamers would have PS3 as top, Wii and 360 fighting for second. While new gamers would have Wii as top PS3 and 360 fighting for second but much lower figures. Nintendo have shown they can appeal and pull in non gamers with the DS, if they do the same with the Wii (and only time will really tell that) they will easily win the console war in numbers. Of course Sony with there ability to really annoy euro gamers currently aren't helping themselves and could even find there uptake among current gamers much lower than expected. It certainly will be interesting times ahead.