PDA

View Full Version : mesosade's guide to emulating and emulating on psp and other things

mesosade
November 4th, 2006, 09:31
Mesosade's guide with easy to understand noob language :P

this is basically a whole guide on emulating and running things on psp i did this is in my spare time so don't

expect any magical amazingness.

Right so...

your at a friends and he starts to go into some crazy gibberish about playing for example n64 on his pc and you think wait! i want to do that! but yo ask your friend to help but then he goes straight into complicated bits like specs and stuff. this is where I come in.

Q.SO... how do i play old consoles on my computer?
well to do this we'll need something called an emulator. or emu for short. Quite simply an emulator copies what an

old console does and uses your computers power and whatever to act like it's the console you want to play.

Q.ok so where the hell can i get an...emu?

well i'd suggest www.emulator-zone.com it's pretty up to date and simply laid out.

Q.ok i've downloaded it...wtf!?!?! why can't i play a game?

well emulator needs to open a file like paint opens pictures. an emu opens a file called a rom. before you start to

frown at such a weird word it's simply a 'rip' it's the file actually in the cartridge (n64) or cd (ps1) that

contains the game. a rip is taking the file out of the cd or cartridge.

Q.wtf how do i do that?

now...loads os people suggest this whereas i would say 99.999% actually download them.

Q.GIVE ME A LINK NOW!

well that would be naughty and illegal though actually some sites do it anyway or even host them for you to

download!

Q.Where can i find a download site?

well i can tell you how NOT to find one. NEVER go on a site that makes you vote like a million times! and try to

keep away from torrent sites (BAAAAAAAAAD) and never go on a site you pay for (pspblender anyone?)

Q.but google keeps giving me crap sites...

well another not so safe option could be a p2p software

Q.EH???? p2p?

it means peer to peer or rather PERSON to PERSON. i'm sure you've heard of limewire. that's p2p software. Problem

is noone really knows for sure if these programs are harmful to your pc. some people say programs like limewire are

some say their not.

Q.ok...i got a rom

well i forgot to mention you'll need to have the orignal game or it's illegal for you to have the rom (though then

again 99.9999% keep it anyway :P)

Q.ummmm so now what?

well if you open your emulator there should be a taskbar on the top with words like file, system options etc... try

file now hopefully there should be a open rom. open the rom you downloaded and voila! if it didn't work it's 3 of

the following:

your comp is teh noob

or your plugins are probably crap or you have none at all!

it needs a bios

bios? omg now what are you talking about.

have you ever turned on a ps2? (no jokes) if so you'll notice the main menu where you access your memory card and stuff. that's the BIOS

Q.ummm now how the hell do i get something from my ps2?

it's not that hard granting you got a usb ps2 to pc controller. you can 'dump' your bios this way...

Q.can't i download them?

yes nuf' said

Q.so dumping... what's that?

it's when you copy something from something else like A CONSOLE to your pc. to do this with a bios you can use this

utility http://ps2dev.org/ps2/Tools/Misc_tools/Bios_dump_util

Q.how do i use this?

i dunno i downloaded my BIOS lawl

Q.ummkay got one what consoles use BIOS?

maily ones with cd's

Q.my comp's crap what do i do?

get a new one or upgrades

Q.plugins? wtf are they?

they're things that make the emu work! for example a controller plugin makes your a pc a console controller! a

graphics plugin manages the plugin. and a sound plugin...well think about it...

Q.NOW I'VE HEARD THIS TEH OWNAGE STUFF CAN BE ON A PSP...how?

well psp uses different code similar to the one pc uses to make emulators. people make a 'port' this is when they

translate the code of a program to the code of a psp allowing it to run on it.

Q.so i can run emulators on psp???

yes you can.

Q.how do i do that?

whoa, slow down you need to know summit first. psp's use a thing called firmware. this is a bit like the psp's BIOS

now SONY (evil) the makers of psp don't like this (EVIL) so they put security on thier psp to make life harder for

the psp emualting and homebrew community here's a list of firmwares and thier homebew compatibilites (btw to check

your psp's firmware go to the far left in the menu go to system settings i think and go to system info.)

1.0 psp's: one of the main firmware's that allow other's to run programs

1.5 psp's: a more popular firmware for homebrew and emulators to run on. and any 1.0 aps can be converted to 1.5

2.0 psp's some people don't bother to make apps that run on this firmware but some do. a bit more annoying to use

2.5 psp's rarely any apps that run straight off on this firmware

2.6 same as 2.5

2.7 just recently found an exploit that allows apps to be ran on here but it's a nightmore for some coder's to

enable this

2.8 only works with tif apps. not many of those

BUT you can downgrade...

Q.really?

yes people have been making apps that allow you to go down firmware to 1.5 mostly. there are downgrader's all the

way to 2.7 but 2.8 is still not possible.

Q.but anyways how can i downgrade?

well there are tutorials on dcemu try getting started with that.

Q. ok my head is about to explode i got a 1.5 psp how do i play emulators on my psp!?!?!?!?

well if you connect your psp via USB you would notice that there are many folders. if you go into PSP folder

there's a GAME folder. go in there. now this is where you need to put your games and stuff.

Q.what bits do i put in?

well when you download it for 1.5 you should have 2 folders. one with a normal name and one with a percent sympol

after it. throw those into your game folder.

Q.k...now what?

well turn on your psp. go to the game section where you run UMD's and click on the memory card section (not the

saved data section) and click on your program and there you go!

Q.umm where do i put roms?

in the GAME folder also.

Q. so how does a 2.7 psp play homebrew?

three ways. the exploit that allows it has been put in.

eloader was used

or it's custom firmware.

Q.eloader? what's that?

it uses the tif exploit to run any homebrew form 2.0 all the way to 2.7!

Q.and custom firmware?

it's well...custom firmware BUT it has all the features of 2.7 but allows you to run any homebrew without security.

the lastes out is 2.7 SE-B by dark_alex. look into it if you wish.

Q. what's bricking?

it's when you flash your psp incorrectly and your psp is pretty well useless.

Q.when do i ever flash?

when you update your psp and use x-flash

Q.how do i let 1.0 apps only run on 1.5?

you need to kxploit them to do this google kxploit program download. it's pretty easy to understand so there's no

need for a tutorial here.

Q. what's homebrew?

it's homemade apps and games.

Q.what's a LUA game?

a game written LUA code due to it's easierness to understand. it needs LUAPLAYER to run. it's another app you can

just stick into 1.5 google it to find the program.

Q.ummm kay i'm out of questions thanks for the help.
no probs enjoy!

This has been my tutorial i did in 15 mins :P feel free to send criticism and edits needed. i'll be prettying it up

in the mean time.

BY mesosade