PDA

View Full Version : How many of you Dreamcast people, still around?

V3N0M
November 4th, 2006, 23:48
I’m curious to how many of you, "Dreamcast Homebrewers" are still around? I’ve just entered the dreamcast scene a few months ago knowing that the scene is pretty much dead. But I’m curious how many people still hang around in the dreamcast scene or at least check up on it now and again?

BlueCrab
November 5th, 2006, 00:35
I'm still around, and will be for at least the forseeable future.

V3N0M
November 5th, 2006, 01:17
Well I guess the scene isn't completely dead then lol. Ya know I enjoy this scene as much I do the PSP scene. But it can be hard at times to do most everything by my self. Because they’re just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people around anymore. So a lot of questions go unanswered and I must figure them out, but its worth the effort. Plus my "New" Dreamcast kiks ass lol. And since most developement for everything emus/apps/homebrew game is pretty much done. I'm just about done with all of the homebrew available for Dreamcast.

BrooksyX
November 5th, 2006, 01:55
I just recently got a DC, I do play some homebrew but I mostly got a dc for commercial games.

quzar
November 5th, 2006, 01:59
I'm still here, and am gonna be forever. (dc scene, not necessarily this site ;) )

V3N0M
November 5th, 2006, 02:33
Well i'm glad to see that i'm not the only person still active in the Dreamcast scene.

I just recently got a DC, I do play some homebrew but I mostly got a dc for commercial games.

Really how long ago did you get yours? I got mine about 2 months ago. "Brand New". Never opened, off of ebay. It was waiting in that box for me for like 8 years lol.

Cap'n 1time
November 5th, 2006, 03:19
Still here.. while i do moderate the psp section mostly the dc is still my favorite console.

JKKDARK
November 5th, 2006, 03:53
I'm a dreamcast fan since my first one, in 1999. And I will support DC forever :)

BrooksyX
November 5th, 2006, 07:27
Really how long ago did you get yours? I got mine about 2 months ago. "Brand New". Never opened, off of ebay. It was waiting in that box for me for like 8 years lol.

I got mine about 2 months ago used off of ebay. I really just wanted to play some sonic adventure and skies of arcadia.

V3N0M
November 5th, 2006, 07:48
Oh thats cool. But i have to say its well worth the work to get all the great homebrew to run on the Dreamcast. You should try using it for homebrew sometime. Metal Slug runs full speed on the neo geo cd emu. Been playin that one all day lol.

BrooksyX
November 5th, 2006, 08:11
Most of the stuff that a dreamcast can do the psp can do better and the xbox can do twice as good. So I am not interested in most of homebrew, but I am looking forward to PSX4all since my brothers always hog the xbox.

V3N0M
November 5th, 2006, 10:32
Ya i plan on getting a modded xbox soon. But the Dreamcast homebrew scene has been a great scene. And I enjoy playin all my homebrew on the big screen.

quzar
November 5th, 2006, 11:07
Ya i plan on getting a modded xbox soon. But the Dreamcast homebrew scene has been a great scene. And I enjoy playin all my homebrew on the big screen.

The Dreamcast actually has a number of advantages which, depending on the person can be extremely important:

Plays homebrew right out of the box.
Can display up to 800x600 via VGA (HDTV connectivity)
Homebrew on it is 99% legal with very few things using illegal devkits (the numbers of which are pretty much reversed on the xbox)
Actually has a fairly good deal of ground-up homebrew, as opposed to the xbox's homebrew library which is almost all ports (yes, we have lots of ports to, but the ratio is a lot different).
EDIT: one more: Size. Depending on the situation this may be important, as the Dreamcast is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller/lighter than the Xbox. Volume-wise, the Gamecube is smaller, but only by a few CCs.

If you havn't yet, check out NesterDC SE. It is the most advanced NES emulator on any console, and more compatible than almost all PC emulators (scherzo spent a long time looking for emulators that had the ability to play all sorts of obscure games that were known not to work on others).

V3N0M
November 5th, 2006, 11:55
Couldn't have said it better myself quzar. I think of each new homebrew scene i get into as a project. I work on it tell its complete. And then i'll start a new project. I started in the PSP scene. And i still update everything. Then i move onto the next thing. Now that I have pretty much done everything with my dreamcast. The Xbox will be my next project to work on.

quzar
November 5th, 2006, 12:15
Oh, I forgot the biggest advantage that the Dreamcast has to the Xbox. Rez. ;)

Darksaviour69
November 5th, 2006, 14:28
i'm still about too running dcnews.co.uk

i have noticed news for the dc has picked up in the last month (having said that the last week has been dead)

2 big names have gone missing recently: metafox... and Max (dcs)

i would not say the dc scene is dead, just not very active. GPF's "gpSPDC" ( released 20th oct) got over 500 downloads and that's not including mirrors and that the first 24hrs of downloads were not counted...hardly dead

also the new download section of the site was just launched just 2 months ago and there have been over 8000 downloads total!

SiZiOUS
November 5th, 2006, 16:00
Still here too :D

Mark30001
November 5th, 2006, 16:03
I'm here! :)

JKKDARK
November 5th, 2006, 16:06
I'm here! :)

man, it's hard to know what you DON'T have :p

V3N0M
November 5th, 2006, 17:35
Well i'm glade to see how much life this scene still has. Has anyone heard anymore news about Chui and his 4all emulators being updated? I think last time i heard he or someone was planning on making the psx4all emu alot better. I hope that someone someday can make a really good snes emulator. The ones that are out now are great. But maby someone can take those and try to get it all the way up to full speed.

Darksaviour69
November 5th, 2006, 18:43
chui posted in the forums last week saying there will e some new releases for this xmas

SSaxdude
November 5th, 2006, 19:38
Homebrew on the DC is practically dead to me, but I don't care because the games are amazing. Modchipless hacking is great, but the DC isn't really powerful enough to emulate much. My favorite homebrew app on the DC is the Bleemcast! leaked beta.

V3N0M
November 5th, 2006, 22:41
chui posted in the forums last week saying there will e some new releases for this xmas

That’s great news. Well I guess its not completely over for the Dreamcast.

Cap'n 1time
November 6th, 2006, 02:24
Homebrew on the DC is practically dead to me, but I don't care because the games are amazing. Modchipless hacking is great, but the DC isn't really powerful enough to emulate much. My favorite homebrew app on the DC is the Bleemcast! leaked beta.

WRONG! first you say the DC isnt a capable machine for emulating and then you say bleemcast is a homebrew app? you obviously havnt been around the dc long enough to know much about it eh?

V3N0M
November 6th, 2006, 02:26
You tell him "OneTimeUser"!!! oh i mean Captain Awesome. lol Why did you change your name?

Tetris999
November 10th, 2006, 02:25
becuz captain awsome is awsome

V3N0M
November 10th, 2006, 02:46
becuz captain awsome is awsome

Do you just spend your day digging up threads that were made a long time ago? lol I havn't seen this thread in week.

BrooksyX
November 10th, 2006, 02:51
Do you just spend your day digging up threads that were made a long time ago? lol I havn't seen this thread in weeks.

WEEKS?!

This thread was started less than 1 week ago, lol:p

quzar
November 10th, 2006, 03:39
Do you just spend your day digging up threads that were made a long time ago? lol I havn't seen this thread in weeks.

You, yoo, seem to post often in threads for no good reason. Please cut it back.

SSaxdude
November 10th, 2006, 03:56
I believe the Dreamcast is powerful to emulate consoles and have some nice homebrew, but it seems like that limit has already been reached. Doesn't really matter, the commercial games still kick ass. Yes I haven't been into the "scene" for long, but I've owned a Dreamcast ever since the release date in US and now I own another Dreamcast. Now PSP homebrew I'd say has much more life than Dreamcast or even DS.

Oh and Bleemcast! (the beta anyways) is amazing, I can finally play Thrill Kill on my tv.

V3N0M
November 10th, 2006, 05:15
WEEKS?!

This thread was started less than 1 week ago, lol:p

lol i ment "week", as in one.

You, yoo, seem to post often in threads for no good reason. Please cut it back.

No problem. But to tell you the truth quzar I really don't spam a whole lot. You seem to be seeing my posts in the wroung places at the wroung time. There have been people making constant threads/posting about useless stuff. But yet you seem to be getting after me a lot. And no offense whats so ever but please if your going to get on people for spaming please get the people who are doing it excessive.

Tetris999
November 10th, 2006, 05:20
oh im so sorry jman its just that i saw this when i entered the off topic forum i never knew it was old im so sorry for insulting you

V3N0M
November 10th, 2006, 05:27
oh im so sorry jman its just that i saw this when i entered the off topic forum i never knew it was old im so sorry for insulting you

Oh no you didn't offend me at all. I just found it funny. Usually when the threads leave the 1st page they don't come back:p . Ya know Tetris? I'm glade to see you’re a lot more mature than others thought you were. Your all rite in my book.:cool:

JKKDARK
November 10th, 2006, 19:24
Do you just spend your day digging up threads that were made a long time ago? lol I havn't seen this thread in week.

it's nothing. I saw 4 years old threads being revived in other forums

Elven6
November 10th, 2006, 23:49
Im gonna be here till the last DC is avaliable and mabye then some. Or if Sega release's a new console which is BC.

Dull Blade
November 13th, 2006, 00:53
I'm still here, on and off. I'm going to start coding soon, so expect a few releases of pong and space invaders, nothing too complex

I heart Nintendo
November 15th, 2006, 19:13
The DreamCast will always have a place in my heart.

(Can I get an "awwwww!!" *lol*)

Seriously though, it's an awesome console which unfortunately for SEGA, came at the wrong time. It was way ahead of it time as well with online gaming and kick ass graphics. I still play mine now.

I hope SEGA go nostalgic on our asses and re-release a SEGA generations collection of sumthin' for the Wii. Lot's of DC games!!

I'm still waiting for SEGA to do Shenmue 3. They ended the game the way they did and left us all hanging!

Cap'n 1time
November 15th, 2006, 21:54
I hope SEGA go nostalgic on our asses and re-release a SEGA generations collection of sumthin' for the Wii. Lot's of DC games!!

now THAT would be cool :thumbup:

Elven6
November 26th, 2006, 00:51
When I pick up this DC porting stuff Im gonna be a permanent member!

Smurph
November 26th, 2006, 09:27
I'm still here... Sometimes... Maybe I'll really get into it again, and finally finish porting Super Mario War 1.7a, rofl.

Stump
November 26th, 2006, 17:27
not many are Dreamcast Homebrewers anymore, I think ;)