PDA

View Full Version : XP vs. Vista vs. Other OS's

Video_freak
November 5th, 2006, 05:14
Just wondering what people are going to be using over the next few years... :)

Kramer
November 5th, 2006, 05:17
hey VF hows it going.

Yeah im sticking with XP I dont want to waste a whole lot of money on something that will slow my computer down anymore than it already is.

Destroyer699
November 5th, 2006, 05:20
I will probally buy a Vista installed pc. I need to get a laptop so I may as well get the latest os.

Video_freak
November 5th, 2006, 05:22
Wow I see I'm on people's sigs now.

JKKDARK
November 5th, 2006, 05:25
at the moment, I prefer XP :)

NoQuarter
November 5th, 2006, 05:56
Vista is going have rather high hardware requirements,will most certainly be heavily hacked and costs alot.
With linux your computer performs much better and you have little to worry about with spyware or viruses.Besides linux already does everything vista is going to be capable of FOR FREE minus the learning required.
XP,what a buggy and infested operating system...
Open source software has done nothing but grow over the years and that upward trend continues.

One thing to think about is that with windows you don't only have to pay for windows but the other software it requires for protection as well as any apps you may want or need.
The other alternative is piracy which is just asking for a trojan and I don't mean a condom
Mac OS:
Pretty sweet, if not somewhat cultish :)

Good to see you 'round video freak.

But hey, were would hacked super computing be without windows :P

kando
November 5th, 2006, 07:12
i will never buy windows. if it comes w/ my computer/laptop, great! otherwise, i'll reinstall whatever windows cd i got lyin around....most likely xp :)

Video_freak good to see u still around bro :) ur still a damn legend to many of us :D

cheers!

o and v_f u might wanna kill the lik-sang link in ur sig :(

Junixx
November 5th, 2006, 15:14
Heck I'm using Win 2000 w/ Astonshell right now, I would be using Ubuntu (I love it) but my games dont run all too well, maybe after christmas or something I will get a better computer...

Gizmo356
November 5th, 2006, 15:26
i use windows xp

Malksta
November 5th, 2006, 15:38
I would update to Vista, I like the voice recognition feature :)

BlueCrab
November 5th, 2006, 20:54
Mac OS X (and its successor, if it ever comes to that) is the only OS I have any plans to buy any time in the near future.

kando
November 5th, 2006, 21:07

thats just microsoft taking more money from the companies who already have programs out w/ voice recognition...

microsoft == sony

Accordion
November 5th, 2006, 21:18
MAC OS is amazing!!!!

new laptop for christmas...is amazing!!!

Time machine is ...amazing!!!

i am......tired

ExcruciationX
November 6th, 2006, 07:34
I use an "alien" computer, but in order to access the internet, I am forced to use Mandriva Linux 10, with the Firefox web browser.

Also, how has it been going for you, Video_freak? You still are a "DCEmu Legend" to us. :)

NoQuarter
November 6th, 2006, 07:44
Wow,Excruciation I didn't know you used linux.Good to hear.Open source=the future

Cap'n 1time
November 6th, 2006, 17:02
I use ubuntu, but I duel boot to XP when I want to play oblivion. I would love to give OSX a spin sometime, but Ubuntu and sometimes XP is all I need. :)

Welcome back to the internets VF.

Accordion
November 6th, 2006, 17:12
I would love to give OSX a spin sometime[, so i will because MAC OS X rules] .

get a dual booting mac [or even better get parallels' virtualisation software]
and have a the chance, like me ...for christmas...yay...
...yes im very excited, this christmas will be the best ever, Wii, Zelda, and the mid range macbook pro
yay!!!

S34MU5
November 6th, 2006, 19:44
malkster you can get voice rreconition on apps anyway, plus retina scanners etc,

but there is like 2 games which work in vista....

Shrygue
November 6th, 2006, 20:10
I'll be jumping for Windows Vista, especially the Ultimate package of it. However, I'll have it as dual boot configuration on a seperate hard drive (which I've yet to buy). In fact, I currently have the RC1 (in other words, beta 3) version at this time....

ExcruciationX
November 7th, 2006, 19:56
...Open source=the future
That's correct. :)

acn010
November 7th, 2006, 20:00
i stick with XP proffesional edition, works best on my crappy pentium 3

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 21:34
If you've got a P3 you dhould try out some form of linux.I have 2 P3 and they perform rather well with it.
Guy's this months linux magazine has a guide to getting world of warcraft running on linux,I'm definitly gonna be checking that one out :)

Cap'n 1time
November 7th, 2006, 22:35
Guy's this months linux magazine has a guide to getting world of warcraft running on linux,I'm definitly gonna be checking that one out :)

Im guessing that is refering to WINE (not cedega this time!) with some patch or somthing. I saw it online the other day. I used to read Linux Format, but their constant brown nosing of Mandriva eventually got to me.

anyway check out how to get WoW working fairly well in linux with wine here. (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4031)
For ubuntu (and debian) specific instructions check out the ubuntu wiki on it here. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Video_freak
November 9th, 2006, 04:14
Wow, the results seem pretty even (XP:10, Vista:9, other OS: 6). I expected there to be a huge difference between XP and Vista (thought Vista was mega-popular). I guess XP is still going to have support by programers and stuff for a while. :)

Cap'n 1time
November 9th, 2006, 05:15
If i remember correctly, alot of people took their time upgrading from 98 to xp. Also linux and Mac OSX wasnt quite as simple to pick up and use at the time. Now there are alot more options and in reality thoes options are hurting microsoft in sales a little bit... That makes me smile for some reason.

abeisgreat
November 9th, 2006, 05:21
I dont like the Xp and there is no way in hell im going to vista, I ll stick with linux thanks!

NoQuarter
November 24th, 2006, 06:01
I just installed suse 10.1 and xgl+compiz on my friends dell laptop.
DUDE!The 3d desktop is just unbelievably cool :) :)
If you can check it out please do,I'm impressed
Chalk one up for linux!Vista has no comparison to this!
Captain Awesome,I really hope you've looked into this desktop.
I literally feel handicapped not having it at my fingertips, it's just so damn efficient.
Unfortunetly I can't put it on my own laptop since VIA wont release usable source code for my chipset :(
@$%&!!!!!!

Smurph
November 26th, 2006, 09:30
XP, Somebody will hack DX10 into it. It's only a matter of time, as there are so many people who dislike vista.

Vista = XP with a prettier GUI and DRM crap.

the_eternal_dark
November 30th, 2006, 04:25

It looks to be really fun. I would die watching my boss use this.

This guy had a hard time with the demo (most of you have seen it already).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1123221217782777472&q=microsoft+voice+recognition&hl=en

Also, stick with the free stuff. Who needs to spend more money on their computer anyway?

chrono75
November 30th, 2006, 07:15
If I had a computer that would run Windows Vista decently, I would get Vista. I've used MANY UNIX variations and OSs like Redhat, Fedora, and Knoppix to name a few, plus, many more. I have set a machine up to tripple boot via Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Fedora Core 4. I honestly have to say that between all operating systems Windows takes the cake. I've used Mac as well and wasn't impressed. Windows Vista is just a much more grand version of Windows XP with fancier graphics. Also, I've seen how Vista shows your harddrive as stars in a solar system so you can visually see what files and folders are larger, now that's pretty cool. Sorry people who use any type of UNIX or Mac OS, I'm sticking with game compatibility no matter how crappy you think Microsoft Windows is and I've used more than ten OSs over the years.

SnesR0X
December 1st, 2006, 01:13
I got vista last weekend!:D it kicks major ass

Ari
December 1st, 2006, 02:20
I've currently got a triple-boot on my machine... openSuse 10.1 with XGL and Compiz installed, a 64-bit testing branch Gentoo install (VERY buggy), and Windows XP.

Unfortunately, I'm using XP right now because I can't get my printer to work in either suse or gentoo... but I use suse most of the time. It's a good OS.

chrono75
December 1st, 2006, 22:54
Ohhh, SNESR0X, I envy you. :P
I can't wait until I get a good machine to run mine on! Theres no I would use Vista with a laptop, it's just not powerful enough.

I've used Gentoo, I think it's best for game programmers or any kind of programming for that matter. Plus, it's just wicked. I would never try to edit someones open source anyways cause I think that's lame unless you fancy being in their shadow. Oh yeah, I'm about 1/5 done with Mega Dude and I'm going to release the full version to DCEmu users only, so, I hope you guys enjoy it when it's done! Probly gonna be more than 24 hours of gameplay in a platformer level up style environment. DEEmu is just the place I would feel most comfortable releasing it. Just a guess, but it may make quite a stir if I play my cards right.

NoQuarter
December 6th, 2006, 20:05
I was thinking about trying gentoo,there's just something sexy about compiling everything from source.Besides from what I've read gentoo gets the best performance.

I currently am dual booting XP and slackware 11 on my laptop and have 2 other lowend slackware 11 systems in the apt.
I was thinking about trying kubuntu with aiglx+beryl.

Stump
December 6th, 2006, 20:06
I prefer XP, and I will install Vista this atumn ;)

NoQuarter
December 6th, 2006, 20:12
I was a windows user at first but I got fed up with getting viruses, adware,trojans and spyware.Only reason I have a dualboot now is cause the maker of my IGP:VIA doesn't understand what open source means :(

Stump
December 6th, 2006, 20:17
hmm, that's complicated also! ,,, :( sad,,

NoQuarter
December 6th, 2006, 20:27
It's only complicated at first,no more so than getting stuff running on the psp though.

Stump
December 6th, 2006, 21:02
hehe, yeaahr, you're right ;)

jman420
December 6th, 2006, 22:13
Yeah, what with all my computers being fully capable and powerful enough to use Vista, I suppose I'll update... plus, XP sucks arse... so I dont want XP anymore then I have to lol

Cap'n 1time
December 6th, 2006, 22:51
I just installed suse 10.1 and xgl+compiz on my friends dell laptop.
DUDE!The 3d desktop is just unbelievably cool :) :)
If you can check it out please do,I'm impressed
Chalk one up for linux!Vista has no comparison to this!
Captain Awesome,I really hope you've looked into this desktop.
I literally feel handicapped not having it at my fingertips, it's just so damn efficient.
Unfortunetly I can't put it on my own laptop since VIA wont release usable source code for my chipset :(
@$%&!!!!!!

sorry it took me a while to respond. I DO NOT LIKE THE SUSE PEOPLE! 3d desktop is cool, but you can set that up with any linux distribution.. I really reccomend a ubuntu setup and read their wiki often to learn how to take control of the linux universe (i had to do it the hard-ish way with slackware about 4 or 5 years ago and i still learn somthing new everyday.)

About suse.. suse just used to be your average distrobution, just with a MASSIVE ammount of software available on install, it was later bought by a bunch of ****s at Novell... and as you have seen with redhat and mandrake (now.. whatever its called) big business + linux does NOT equal success. Debian based OS's (and i still have a soft spot in my heart for slackware) such as debian themselves, ubuntu, and i believe knoppix is debian based. They are the undisputed gods of package managment software. I suggest everyone with reasonable computer knowledge who is interesting in linux to at least give UBUNTU a try :).

As for the comment that vista is just a beautified XP with only slightly improved software, i agree. waste of money...