PDA

View Full Version : New dustball ads a few hairs short of a carpet?

wraggster
November 6th, 2006, 16:11
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148747)

Ah, Sony. Where did it all go wrong? It seems nothing the Japanese giant does at the moment hits the money, and alas, those new PSP adverts will do nothing to change that.

In times past Sony has been responsible for some of the most weird but innovative ads in all the craziness that is adland. However it seemed to lose its way over the recentish 'black versus white' adverts which were accused of being racist and now it has decided to go in an entirely different direction for its new PSP campaign.

With heavily-accented Mexican dustballs.

You may well already have been irritated by the ads on TV, which end with the baffling tagline "PSP - it's like carpet you can watch outside". Which of course is meant to symbolise the... erm... no, it makes no sense to us.

See if you can figure out what's going on by now checking out the ads online here (http://www.dustballs.tv/). Answers are welcome in the comments field below, if you have any...

vanle
November 6th, 2006, 16:15
Wtf....

ICE
November 6th, 2006, 16:34
ya those ads have been in the us for quite some time now. has anyone seen the ps3 commercial? CREEPY!! its a baby doll with moving creepy eyes sitting in a white room with a ps3!!! its awful!!

LAW666
November 6th, 2006, 16:45
i think the intro bit with the vacuum cleaner says it all tbh,

sony suck...

mesosade
November 6th, 2006, 16:51
nice title to post nonetheless :D

irongiant
November 6th, 2006, 17:06
The really disturbing part is how much people must be getting paid to come up with this crap! Selling games to gamers is very simple, just show plenty of gameplay. The dustballs advert is just awful.

jimmi
November 6th, 2006, 17:12
i dnt really like the advert but the dustballs rock teh sox0rz

mr_nick666
November 6th, 2006, 17:44
The trouble with game marketing these days is its dogshite :( We just want to see the fu(k!n@ games you retards :mad: Its like bloody modern art... Makes no sense at all... :rolleyes: At least Nintendo shows the games running in their adds :eek:

steve-b
November 6th, 2006, 17:47
there is another ps3 ad, done in the same room. it solves a rubik's cube instead of making a doll come to life. it's pretty cool

edit: oh it explodes the cube once it's done also :)

S34MU5
November 6th, 2006, 17:47
Think i saw one of those ds here, (UK)
the intro is like a dusty reverse loco roco!

Vega
November 6th, 2006, 17:48
meh... I thought the Tekken dustball ad was quite funny.

kando
November 6th, 2006, 18:49
those dustballs are quite annoying...

"its like a party man!" "its like you party you know? like a party man!"

shadowhawk22
November 6th, 2006, 20:02
Hmmm. I am a marketing major, and when I see these ads I am not impressed. They do get across an idea of "portability", but confusing and angering viewers is always a bad thing. The white vs black idea is poorly constructed, given the racial tension (especially present in the United States). I would have suggested some sort of cool "seperation", where the two PSP's would have come from teh same black and white PSP...

Sony seems to be really off lately. Their lawsuit with liksang, the creepy commercials, the PS3 ads are bad too... Ugh, It is always a possibility that Sony implodes like Sega (with the dreamcast), but who knows...

Veskgar
November 6th, 2006, 20:15
Yeah, some of these ads are just plain ridiculous and over the top.

My favorite video game ads of all time were the Ratchet & Clank ads for the PS2 where they would show a group of teenagers in a backyard or somewhere and they were testing out different "weapons" from the Ratchet & Clank game.

The commercial had a look of an amateur home video and then you see these crazy weapons being set off in a very realistic and funny way.

Then they would show actual gameplay footage of the game.

Those commercials have always stuck with me and I hope they revitalize those when the new PSP Ratchet & Clank comes out.

emuking
November 7th, 2006, 00:04
Yeah, some of these ads are just plain ridiculous and over the top.

My favorite video game ads of all time were the Ratchet & Clank ads for the PS2 where they would show a group of teenagers in a backyard or somewhere and they were testing out different "weapons" from the Ratchet & Clank game.

The commercial had a look of an amateur home video and then you see these crazy weapons being set off in a very realistic and funny way.

Then they would show actual gameplay footage of the game.

Those commercials have always stuck with me and I hope they revitalize those when the new PSP Ratchet & Clank comes out.

yeah ive seen those commercials man, theyre probaly some of the best video game commercials ive seen :)

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 00:55
You wanna talk about lame ass ads,how about the stupid fingerpuppet ad for psp?
Sony must have really been trying to cut corners on it's budget with that one.
I gotta say I do like the rubics cube ps3 ad.

SnesR0X
November 7th, 2006, 01:16
You wanna talk about lame ass ads,how about the stupid fingerpuppet ad for psp?
Sony must have really been trying to cut corners on it's budget with that one.
I gotta say I do like the rubics cube ps3 ad.

That one was sooooo anoying, they need to think before they make them:(

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 01:52
They must have spent a whole $10 on that ad,lol

aries2k4
November 7th, 2006, 13:46
Lol, $ony---Hooked on Crack!!!!

Skateblind
November 7th, 2006, 16:57
It is meant to show that the dust usually likes a good carpet to snuggle to, but now it can go outside, watch movies and snuggle next to the psp screen(Cause dust sticks to the screen??). Mystery solve?

XpspX
November 7th, 2006, 23:40
Mexican dustballs...how ammusing -.-

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 23:47
Seems kinda racist...
Like how all those stupid finger puppets are white.