PDA

View Full Version : DS81 v1.1 - Nintendo DS ZX81 Emulator Updated 5/11/2006

wraggster
November 6th, 2006, 20:54
Noddybox (http://www.noddybox.co.uk/nds.php?I=ds81) has released a new Sinclair ZX81 for the Nintendo DS, heres the release information from the site:

If you'd have told me 25 years ago that I'd be playing 3D Monster Maze on the bus on a device powered by batteries, I'd have said you were mad...

DS81 is a basic emulation of the Sinclair ZX81. It currently doesn't support loading of external files, but includes a few games to try out. Note that I did not write these games, or own the copyright to them. They are included in good faith (as far as I know the authors do not mind this work being distributed), and if any of them want their work removing I'll gladly oblige:

ZX81 ROM © 1981 Nine Tiles Networks Ltd
City Patrol © 1982 Don Priestley
Sabotage © 1982 Don Priestley
3D Monster Maze © 1983 Malcom E. Evans

When you run DS81, following a splash screen, you'll be presented with a ZX81 display on the top screen and a soft keyboard on which you can type. If you click on the bottom part of the touch screen you'll be presented with a menu where you can choose a tape, reset the ZX81 and set the sticky state of the shift key on or off.

Once you have selected a tape, simply type LOAD "" on the ZX81 to load it! All the included games map the joypad and buttons to sensible settings for each specific game.

Heres whats new in this release:

DS81, the ZX81 emulator the Nintendo DS has been updated so that it supports the loading of external files on some devices.

Fantastic News for the Old retro fans :)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Amethyst
November 7th, 2006, 08:20
Having never played the ZX81, temptation got to me. I'm giving this one a go.

iball
November 7th, 2006, 08:30
I had one of the first Timex-Sinclair ZX81s that came out.
I feel old...

Category
November 7th, 2006, 14:59
This is an awesome little EMU! The games included arn't the best (3D Monster Maze is good though), so I'll be a lot more interested when you can load external roms and such... Keep up the good work!

Hawq
November 7th, 2006, 19:07
Full change list:
+Added external FAT file loading.
+Added Mazogs as a built-in tape (code courtesy of Paul Fearnley)
+Fixed bug where the ROM input routine could be easily locked up.
This was caused by a problem in the way I set up the LASTK system variables from the house-keeping routine.