PDA

View Full Version : Goat Store - Turn Emulation into Reality

wraggster
November 6th, 2006, 22:03
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/banner32ri.jpg

The Goat Store (http://www.goatstore.com/?referer=187432) is well known to Dreamcast Fans and the Dreamcast Community as they are supporters of Dreamcast Homebrew and have published Homebrew games as Commercial releases.

They are also one of the Worlds best stockists of Retro Consoles and Games covering systems such as:

Atari
Lynx
Jaguar
Jaguar CD

Nintendo
NES
Super Nintendo
Virtual Boy
Nintendo 64

Sega
Master System
Genesis
Game Gear
Sega CD
Sega 32X
Saturn
Dreamcast

Other
Odyssey 2
Intellivision
Colecovision
Turbografx-16
3DO

Check out The Goat Store (http://www.goatstore.com/?referer=187432), emulation is good but playing on the real thing cant be beaten.

JKKDARK
November 6th, 2006, 22:28
Yeah, I saw it already. it is nice, we can get old things :)

Basil Zero
November 6th, 2006, 23:14
nice that we can buy old games, but tad too expensive for the games, i'm saying that for the SNES games, some of them are 12 dollars, when u can find unused PSX games for about 10 dollars or less

oh well, i guess its so expensive since its rare. nice site btw

luthor_70
November 7th, 2006, 01:05
Nice advertissement like if it was a real news ... This site and its webmaster get worse day after day.

robocelot
November 7th, 2006, 03:25
Yes, why bother playing roms on an emulator when you can buy a loose megadrive game with a poor condition label for $12? (and probably the same amount for shipping)

Most game stores I know worth their salt would in the very least turn away damaged garbage like this, and if it was a poor condition rare/desired cartridge then at least show a picture.

Nothing says 'shitty internet deal' better than the seller declining to show a picture of the merchandise.

Cap'n 1time
November 7th, 2006, 03:54
Hooray for new users telling us how to run our site! We have been friends with the goat store people for a VERY long time (probably since the creation of this site and even further on the sister site dcemulation.com). Some people that wish to buy these old games are very happy to use the Goat Store do sell often rare items. Also as the Goat Store has done alot to keep the Dreamcast alive. If your not interested then no one is forcing you to go visit these links, but do not insult the webmaster for staying true to the DC scene just because you enjoy bootlegging your old games.

Basil Zero
November 7th, 2006, 04:24
dont take my comment as a negative lol

Amethyst
November 7th, 2006, 08:18
I think Captain Awesome is talking about the two kids that wrote after you.

Luthor is in NO position to speak that way about the site when the majority of his previous posts have been nothing more than b'tch, b'tch, b'tch.

ramjet
November 7th, 2006, 11:23
I agree it seems a bit pricey, but also useful.
while im sure you can get a common system like SNES and games for less in your local paper, some systems (like the lynx) are considerably harder to find.

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 11:28
Nothin like ahole noobs making comments about how you guy's should run your website.
Very irritating,If you don't like the site why even come here?
I think it's a great service they're offering,I just wish some neocd stuff was available!

uneekracer
November 7th, 2006, 15:12
nice all the old things

luthor_70
November 7th, 2006, 15:45
Don't tell me you can't see a false news, with this kind of link (www.goatstore.com/?referer=187432), it's obvious that the number is here to know where the dude who cliked it comes from. I can understand DCemu needs monay to exist, but there are other ways to make money honestly. Even if goatstore may be a good website, even if the news could be interesting, the point is that news is just an advertissement. Also there were plenty of this kind of news by the past on DCemu. Sorry but I will never find that correct ,just like the "coming soon" quotes in every PS1P regarding news, a good way to get traffic on the site (where is the release at this time ??). I don't find that honest. I feel sad because I love this site.

gotmilk0112
November 7th, 2006, 16:33
lol i can get rare snes games like super mario rpg on ebay for a dollar and $3 shipping. screw this website.

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 16:40
Is this website any relation to the goatse man?

Cap'n 1time
November 7th, 2006, 16:55
Is this website any relation to the goatse man?

I AM THE GOATSE MAN!

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 16:57
I AM THE GOATSE MAN!

you wish sonny ;)

robocelot
November 7th, 2006, 17:02
Hooray for new users telling us how to run our site! We have been friends with the goat store people for a VERY long time (probably since the creation of this site and even further on the sister site dcemulation.com). Some people that wish to buy these old games are very happy to use the Goat Store do sell often rare items. Also as the Goat Store has done alot to keep the Dreamcast alive. If your not interested then no one is forcing you to go visit these links, but do not insult the webmaster for staying true to the DC scene just because you enjoy bootlegging your old games.

I reread my previous reply and I have to apologise for being way too harsh on Goatstore (don't ask me what side of the bed I got up on yesterday :-). It's actually refreshing in an era where it's far too easy to slap retro games on ebay for a quick buck to find someone who is willing to do that on their own.

I was shocked to find how quickly I had forgotten that long before the retro game craze, before ebay (and it's predecessor Auctionweb) the only way to find retro game stuff was small Mom&Pop mail order businesses like JerryG (and if you remember him, then you are probably as ancient as I am). He kept consoles like the Atari 2600 and the Colecovision alive long after they were abandoned and (at the time) unfashionable. If someone can keep interest in the Dreamcast alive they can't be all bad. ;-)

BTW: I wouldn't judge a poster solely by their post count, although that does matter in some cases. You never know when someone changes email addresses or starts a new account for other reasons. For all you know I've been contributing here for years.

I'd much rather read a reply from someone who only spoke when something needed to be said, rather than than a kid with 1000+ "me too", "yay first post", "write me an N64 emu", "where is a 2.81 downgrader?" messages.

Basil Zero
November 8th, 2006, 01:42
they should add Gameboy Pocket/Color to the list too

Sweater Fish Deluxe
November 8th, 2006, 04:03
You god damned whiney ROM'z hoarding kiddies need a reality check.

Just because you paid the same amount for the ROMs of Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars (e.i. nothing), doesn't mean the real carts are gonna cost the same amount in the world outside, too. The prices for real games made out of atoms and stuff tends to vary. Maybe you could get Super Mario World or Sonic 2 for $1, but games like Mario RPG or Gunstar Heroes are going to cost you more, whether you get them on eBay or at a place like the GOAT Store.

The GOAT Store's prices are very fair, actually. More or less the same as you'd pay on eBay and sometimes less. And almost always less than you'd pay at other independent game shops that carry older systems.

Sure you might get lucky and find a huge treasure trove of great games in the classifieds section or at a flea market, but that takes a lot of luck and usually a lot of time and work, too, if you're looking for specific or rarer games. I'm sure that any of you whining about the thought of spending their parents' hard-earned money on games they already downloaded for free wouldn't be willing to put in the legwork it takes to hunt games in the wild.

But then, you have all the ROMs you need already and wouldn't even think spending real money on cartridges anyway, so nevermind. Next time don't talk about things that don't concern you.

On the other hand, I totally agree that DCEmu.co.uk has gone way overboard with the whole advertisement as newspost thing. I don't mind the GOAT Store so much, but all the Success-hk and Divineo.com shills are too much. Divineo.com in particular have a horrible reputation and it's a shame that DCEmu.co.uk has associated itself with them. Success-hk is a great shop actually, but I just don't think half the newsposts need to be about them.

...word is bondage...

quzar
November 8th, 2006, 04:48
I agree wholeheartedly with you sweaterfish (funny, I'm fairly sure I've said the same thing as long as 4 years ago =P). And doubly on success-hk. Recently I had an incident that I'm almost positive was them trying to scam me (look for the topic on the free para-para controllers, there were many other people who had the same issue).

edit: yea, too harsh.

NoQuarter
November 8th, 2006, 04:51
Lol,business is business...