PDA

View Full Version : My PC just died

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 10:02
My PC just turned itself off last night whilst I was using it (abusing it more like).

I thought nothing of it and went to sleep.

This morning I went to turn it on and nothing, all dead except for one green light on the network card. There are no fans, now power light.

so now I have no pc at home :( I guess that puts my psp projects on hold :(

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 10:10
Damn,I was looking foward to your adhoc projects.
Sorry 'bout your luck MikeDX.

steve-b
November 7th, 2006, 10:10
sounds like a power supply issue. You can pick one of those up for minimal amounts.

Does it make any beeps when you try to switch it on?

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 10:19
nope nothing, just a green light. no beeps, no fans, nothing just a green light.

I'm going to get another case at lunchtime as i can get a case cheaper than I can get a PSU!

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 10:27
I sure hope you get it up and running,at the very least your hard drive accessable.

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 10:28
Well I doubt the hard drive is a problem, I'll be VERY surprised if that is the case to be honest.

its either the motherboard or the psu. Sadly neither of which I can really afford to replace this side of december :(

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 10:33
Damn bro, thats your only PC?
Eh, that's probably a dumb question.
If it wasn't I guess your projects Wouldn't be on hold.
I mentioned the hard drive earlier to say at least you could still retrieve your work from another PC.

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 10:38
Yeah but the problem is, the other PCs I use are work pcs.

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 10:44
Ow,too bad you can't cluster all those psp's you have and compile with that,lol.
I certainly hope you get somethin goin cause I was really looking foward to your releases.
Not to mention it just sux not to have a PC,I feel for ya :(

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 10:56
The gutting thing is that I had just set up a SVN repository on that machine too.

I just hope it isn't a reinstall job, I can't stand that.

Guess it'll just have to wait. Saw a nice case earlier for £30, but if I get that, and it turns out to be the motherboard I'll be plenty pissed.

oh and I need a new keyboard :(

NoQuarter
November 7th, 2006, 11:02
Does the power supply come with the case?
I guess most cases do come with power.
I just recently started reading about SVN, but haven't got into it much yet as I'm just now starting to get my new laptop's OS configured.No need for bleeding edge anything for me...
What did you have a repository on there for, if you don't mind me asking?

steve-b
November 7th, 2006, 12:13
do you have alot of extra stuff plugged into the motherboard? Perhaps the power supply was too small for the job and just packed in.

Although, the NIC light coming on suggests that there *is* power getting to the motherboard etc. Hmm. Maybe it is the mobo that is hosed!

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 12:27
Not really loads of stuff. two hard drives, usb pci card, nic pci... agp gfx card.. couple usb dongles thats about it.

It's done this before but usually leaving it off overnight fixes it.

Cap'n 1time
November 7th, 2006, 16:32
That type of shit happens to me sometimes when somthing simple like burned out hardware is in my pc. Anything from a blown out video card (if you have a radeon card that connects to the PS directly please say so, that could VERY WELL BE IT!), one bad stick of ram, to stupid crap like a dead sound card can occasionally prevent you pc from booting up, and on rare occasions not even offer the beep codes we all know and love. I recommend you at last try replacing sticks of ram with alternate sticks before calling it quits... of course it could also just be your power supply or worse case scenario, your entire mother board, but lets think positively eh?

Edit: Like I mentioned about the radeon cards that connect directly to the PS, sometimes its not a good idea to share them with an HDD if you can avoid it.

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 16:38
Well I'm not going to bother for tonight, I'm going out.

What I might try, is just pulling EVERYTHING off the board and starting from literally a keyboard plugged in and nothing else...

Tomlo
November 7th, 2006, 18:13
Its your powersupply, buying a new one wont always fix it too. The green light on the nic card is likely lit through the power in the network cord, usually used to wake up shutoff computers...

Shrygue
November 7th, 2006, 18:26
It's time to buy a new computer since your old one has conked out, if you have the funds for a good one that is.

MikeDX
November 7th, 2006, 21:33
I dont have any funds for a new pc.

all donations gratefully received! [email protected] ;)

Shrygue
November 7th, 2006, 21:38
Hell, that's a shame. Still, just hope you will be able to save for one in any case! :)

MikeDX
November 8th, 2006, 13:45
My savings are going on a Wii :)

went to buy a new case today and they didnt have the one I wanted, so screw it.

steve-b
November 8th, 2006, 14:13
who needs a case :P

I saw a PC that was all hanging from the roof like a new borns mobile above their cot. it was awesome in a junk yard style.

NoQuarter
November 8th, 2006, 14:22
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!
We need your adhoc projects MikeDX!
I'd send you one of my crappy P3s if I could...
unfortunetly all of my funds are going to the Wii aswell.

MikeDX
November 8th, 2006, 14:33
I need the PSU, I'll be buggered if I'm changing that over in the case when a PSU is £15 and a new case is £25....

It'll have to wait I suppose, no rush :)

ExcruciationX
November 8th, 2006, 16:43
I feel sorry for you, MikeDX.
I wish I could help :(...

iniquitous_beast
November 8th, 2006, 17:17
With PSU's, you can often use the sniff test to tell if it is burnt out. Sniff the vents on the psu. If it smells like burnt rubber, jackpot. If not, your mobo is bad. Motherboards are cheap these days. Don't waste your time on a new case. PSU's that come stock with cases are often weak crap. Go with an Antec or a Thermaltake PSU. They are built to last.

MikeDX
November 8th, 2006, 17:19
I think it's more of a case f having the time to pull it all apart. At some point (possibly later tonight) I'll strip the whole thing to barebones and start with literally psu and motherboard... if that doesnt work, It'll be end of the month before I can get a new MB..

MikeDX
November 8th, 2006, 21:19
well

it was the psu as suggested.

now I'm £30 down on my wii savings :(

NoQuarter
November 8th, 2006, 21:22
I'm glad you found the problem,you could always do some man whorring to make up that money.
I considering it for my Wii...
That's a lot of sluttin for a PS3 though

kando
November 8th, 2006, 21:24
yea i was gonna say either the psu or it could have been the actual switch on the tower...

anyways cheers on getting it up and running :D

MikeDX
November 8th, 2006, 21:42
ps3 can go **** itself. i didnt have a ps2 and i wont have a ps3.

still.. £30 :( that sucked.

MikeDX
November 8th, 2006, 22:24
Well,l I wasnt expecting a nice little something from kando.

One good turn deserves another, kando. add me to msn, I think you deserve to be on the beta team :)

kando
November 8th, 2006, 22:30
wow i didnt expect that =O
i just found a reason to sign on msn again ^_^

NoQuarter
November 8th, 2006, 22:39
Wow,kando score!
I understand your sentiment on the PS3 MikeDX but I have to own any system that has tekken on it.
Sony has become a bunch of pricks.