PDA

View Full Version : PSP: PS1 games under $5

mavsman4457
November 8th, 2006, 03:12
A couple of months ago it was somehow rumored that the downloadable PS1 games would be selling for up to $15. Many people were upset and expressed their distress that they would have to pay for games that they already own. There's some new news today about the pricing. The games will sell for a maximum of $5. Now, that's a pretty good price but I'm not upgrading any time soon. Nothing can beat the price of games that I will be playing on PS1P, PSXP, and YAPSxP. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061106/sheffield_05.shtml

ICE
November 8th, 2006, 03:15
$5 isnt too bad but frees better :D

NoQuarter
November 8th, 2006, 03:37
Yeah not a bad price but I'd much rather rip my own copies for free rather than pay for them again.
I'll stick with the hombrew scene emu's

Gene
November 8th, 2006, 05:11
if devhook works ok, and the official download-able ps1 games are in a compressed state then this could be worth it.

happy_mak
November 8th, 2006, 05:25
$5, hey then they can count me in. Anyways i was not a game fan for many years or so, i dont own many of the PS titles too and buying them cheap at $5 that too legally is quite a decent option for me atleast.

Geeesh, but they havent spelled out that one would not need a PS3 to download them , am I right? or just a noob question this one?

Edshugeo
November 8th, 2006, 05:28
Five bucks is a great price. Once the firmware the official emulator uses is cracked, I wouldn't mind using it if the homebrew versions don't pan out.

While I'd rather be able to play the games I have, there are games I've lost, like Reloaded, and Jumping Flash (though I recently "found" a copy of JP) and maybe wouldn't mind paying the small price of replacing them.

V3N0M
November 8th, 2006, 05:35
We'll see it when it happens.

punkypine
November 8th, 2006, 06:47
lets be honest, by rip your own cd's, you guys mean rip the few games you own and download the rest.

and then you wonder why sony doesnt like homebrew.

Festizzio
November 8th, 2006, 06:59
When FF7 is available, and if it fits on a 512 MB memory stick, I'm upgrading. :)

Illegal Machine
November 8th, 2006, 07:02
Nothing can beat the price of games that I will be playing on PS1P, PSXP, and YAPSxP.

IF they ever get released...

I've been waiting 18 months for full speed PS1 emulation now. I think it's a pipe dream

Veskgar
November 8th, 2006, 07:19
$5.00 MAX!!!!

Finally, SONY is getting something right. I have been rooting for SONY's PS1 EMU as long as pricing was right. I will gladly shell out $5.00 for some PS1 nostalgia on the PSP.

However, I will NOT upgrade my 1.50. I'm hoping for a 3.00 DevHook, or even maybe a 3.00 SE firmware from Dark_AleX if he even has any intentions on trying such a thing.

It will likely be a long time before we can emulate 3.00 firmware, however, the scene has proven me wrong many times so I know that anything is possible.

This is good news for all PSP owners though!

belialone
November 8th, 2006, 07:23
i dont really see a point in using a psx emulator. i bought my psp because the games look more like ps2 than psx. the only psx game i still own and play is tekken2 (with a emu on my pc). and i wont pay for games that i allready know and have finished. the other side is everybody has sometimes a nostalgic phase, sometimes i play old GameBoy games (vba emu) but not for a long time it is just to remind me of the old times when games depended more on gameplay than on graphic.

ab88
November 8th, 2006, 07:26
five bucks is not bad, I think this is the firs good move sony makes in months. After all if this emu had never been out, they simply would have made no money, so it's like an "extra" I can see UMD sales go down
1 UMD ($40)= around 8 PS1 games, but I can see PSP sales go up just for this new feature, which in the end would mean UMD sales on those new PSP's.
Finally abold move ny sony :D

i dont really see a point in using a psx emulator. i bought my psp because the games look more like ps2 than psx......

well if you take into account that the PSP has a screen much smaller than a TV I think the games will look almost as the ones those PSP only ones.

Adrenalin
November 8th, 2006, 08:03
good pricing, but i aint interested (in psp at all for that matter XD DS all the way)

Festizzio
November 8th, 2006, 08:05
$5.00 MAX!!!!

Finally, SONY is getting something right. I have been rooting for SONY's PS1 EMU as long as pricing was right. I will gladly shell out $5.00 for some PS1 nostalgia on the PSP.

However, I will NOT upgrade my 1.50. I'm hoping for a 3.00 DevHook, or even maybe a 3.00 SE firmware from Dark_AleX if he even has any intentions on trying such a thing.

It will likely be a long time before we can emulate 3.00 firmware, however, the scene has proven me wrong many times so I know that anything is possible.

This is good news for all PSP owners though!

Oh yeah, forgot about devhook lol :cool:

BlackJack23
November 8th, 2006, 09:58
Wow, I'm impressed Sony. Since I've never owned a PS1, I would most definately be willing to shell out $5.

Although the biggest issue Sony will have to deal with is space...
If they develop a good compression method I'm in.

I was also thinking it would be brilliant if Sony released
UMDs with a couple of PS1 games on them. Say for instance all the Crash Bandicoot games.

Tinnus
November 8th, 2006, 10:22
Sony would have to release stuff like FF7 in UMDs. It's just too darn big.

Imagine yourself downloading a 1.5GB game and THEN transferring to your Memory Stick (which, BTW, must be at least 2GB).

There ways to compress CD images (CSO, DAX, ZNX) but even then most games don't compress more than 15-30% so FF7 would still be around 1.5G :)

On the other hand, there are some really small games like the Ridge Racer series, the Tekken series and so.

One thing they can do and probably will though, is convert the audio CD tracks in some games to AT3 and play those instead--that can be easily done in an emulator and would save much space on some games that had (in MB) little content but much CD music.

jimjamjahaa
November 8th, 2006, 12:34

Imagine yourself downloading a 1.5GB game and THEN transferring to your Memory Stick (which, BTW, must be at least 2GB).

There ways to compress CD images (CSO, DAX, ZNX) but even then most games don't compress more than 15-30% so FF7 would still be around 1.5G :)

On the other hand, there are some really small games like the Ridge Racer series, the Tekken series and so.

One thing they can do and probably will though, is convert the audio CD tracks in some games to AT3 and play those instead--that can be easily done in an emulator and would save much space on some games that had (in MB) little content but much CD music.
compression my friend

ridge racer took up ~5 MB on the psp,

i mean what is final fantasy 7? there is the core engine, then there is a ****-ton of images for the backgrounds, and text, movies, models and music. all of those except the engine can be massively compressed now :)

Veskgar
November 8th, 2006, 13:03
Well, another thing SONY is finally getting right is digital distribution. Meaning, the PS1 games will likely be EBOOT files similar to the new PSP DEMO's. Sony will certainly not be distributing the games as ISO's. Also, I think SONY is going to try and have the PS1 games launch right from the XMB. I don't think they will have an "Emulator" app that you first have to load up. It will be built into the firmware.

These are just my theory's, don't carve it in stone.

pkmaximum
November 8th, 2006, 13:30
Nothing will ever tempt me to update my firmware, unless they did something crazy like port super smash brothers melee to the PSP :rolleyes:

zevende
November 8th, 2006, 13:34
Nice, but I'll stick with my 2.71 SE-B" and play my PSX games with a homebrew program.

MZeroEW2
November 8th, 2006, 13:43
lol I bet there in EBoot format, so the PSP is not really emulating the PS1 as much as the games have just been ported over to PSP code

vladiftodi
November 8th, 2006, 14:02
whell at leas smth good enough
hm god news if true
cool

csd-san
November 8th, 2006, 14:19
To be honest, some good psx games would be enough to make me update. I have 1.5 and I'm just not feeling the homebrew like I used to. I'm tired of half-hearted lua apps, and many of the bigger c programs I liked haven't been updated in ages.

I realize there's a few homebrew psx emulators, but somehow I can imagine whatever Sony is developing would run better, and obviously sooner too.

jimjamjahaa
November 8th, 2006, 16:08
To be honest, some good psx games would be enough to make me update. I have 1.5 and I'm just not feeling the homebrew like I used to. I'm tired of half-hearted lua apps, and many of the bigger c programs I liked haven't been updated in ages.

I realize there's a few homebrew psx emulators, but somehow I can imagine whatever Sony is developing would run better, and obviously sooner too.
yeah boii

i gave up on homebrew a while back because of various (umd) games... and i decided when the emu was announced that i will upgrade all the way to 3.00, and only *then* will i start to care about homebrew. once 3.00 is hacked, i will again be careful not to upgrade :D

and with a whole new emu built in there are bound to be some holes in there. just gotta find 1 buffer overflow and you're gold :D

John Vattic
November 8th, 2006, 16:55
i wish sony would just hurry up and release the damn thing so i can play resident evil's, metal gear, and silent hill on my psp. Those those six games will only be 30$

I agree sony is going to get me to update with that price on games.

oh and alone in the dark, 35$ for 7 games. :D

theaceoffire
November 8th, 2006, 17:37
i wish sony would just hurry up and release the damn thing so i can play resident evil's, metal gear, and silent hill on my psp. Those those six games will only be 30$

I agree sony is going to get me to update with that price on games.

oh and alone in the dark, 35$ for 7 games. :D

>.< yeah. Make sure you have a good memory card to HOLD all those on one.

I mean, FF7 was three cds... I think a four Gb should cover it, but still, 6 uncompressed games would be tough.

^_^ Come on sony, push the release of 64 Gig memory sticks!

Apoklepz
November 8th, 2006, 17:46
Or...you could load one disc at a time...a baby could do it!
Honestly, you don't have to be a Harvard Graduate to think you could store all those games into one stick...The three FULL FFVII CD images alone are around 6GB.

SteveV2
November 8th, 2006, 17:53

Ridge Racer is just over 400 meg, all the Tekkens are full cds, just over 700 meg.

That's if you want all music and FMV.

SteveV2
November 8th, 2006, 17:57
Or...you could load one disc at a time...a baby could do it!
Honestly, you don't have to be a Harvard Graduate to think you could store all those games into one stick...The three FULL FFVII CD images alone are around 6GB.

How? 3 X the max CD capacity, 700meg = 2.1gig.

You don't need to be a Harvard Graduate to work that one out lol :D

Veskgar
November 8th, 2006, 19:18
Ridge Racer is just over 400 meg, all the Tekkens are full cds, just over 700 meg.
But I've heard a lot of people say that Ridge Racer is small. Like around a measly 5MB. Now you say its 400MB. What's the truth of the matter?

Alls I know is that SONY better get the games smaller. My 2GB Ultra II stick is packed to the MAX. And even when I get the 4GB, that space will be quickly used up as well.

To make it work, SONY needs to add value and ease of use. Storing the games on the PS3 hard drive is definitely a plus, but I can't imagine getting excited over downloading 400MB + files just to play a PS1 game.

If SONY can manage to add a Location Free WiFi feature to play stored PS1 downloads from any hotspot, that would be the ultimate push to update to 3.00. I still wouldn't personally, but I could see many people taking the plunge and committing homebrew genocide over such a feature.

Anger
November 8th, 2006, 19:22
if all the games are under $5 which to me is about £2.75 thats a very tempting price even for games i already own. if the other emulators dont come out before the firmware does ill be seriously tempted to update to use it. i know ill be giving up homebrew for a time but it is something i would pay that small a price for.

ridge racer the game with music ripped is about 6-7 meg however with all the music tracks it is a lot bigger (obviously) so both are correct.

LazerTag
November 8th, 2006, 19:29
I have no plans for buying any more Sony products, least not till the sort themselves out.

Much less it would appear that a PS3 is required at the moment. No way am I even considering one of those, Sony name and obnoxious price, they can keep it.

NeoXCS
November 8th, 2006, 19:37
If they do it just right FFVII would be signifigantly smaller. The engine is on each CD mind you! :p Also I believe they used 650mb CDs for it. The first CD's capacity is 620MB. :D

John Vattic
November 8th, 2006, 19:42
To think Sony can't shrink their own games is naive.

I think they could get silent hill down to 100 megs and final fantasy down to 700 megs.

Sony made these games remember!

going on original ps1(cd) format size as a basis for psp size is silly.

this isn't 1998 it's almost 2008

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
November 8th, 2006, 20:45
$5 is good.. !...but i'm not upgrading yet!

Firestar_Jes
November 8th, 2006, 22:16
To think Sony can't shrink their own games is naive.

I think they could get silent hill down to 100 megs and final fantasy down to 700 megs.

Sony made these games remember!

going on original ps1(cd) format size as a basis for psp size is silly.

this isn't 1998 it's almost 2008

You are correct in some of what you say, but this is assuming they still have the original source media for the movies.
Then, of course, they would be able to compress them better than what was done on the PSX, and the smaller screen size would shave off another couple of Megabytes.
Even though it's almost 2007 :) it still doesn't mean they can magically cut the size, there is only so much you can achieve with compression.
They could however probably cut it down to about 1GB i size, maybe less. And why is it silly too use a PS1 CD as basis for the size??

Basil Zero
November 8th, 2006, 22:29
nice, but still not going to sacrifice my GBA and SNES games for PSX games

Poem58
November 9th, 2006, 00:21
actually it's not $5
at least not for me...the PSP is my console....I got out after Dreamcast....They cost too much and I don't have the time to sit in front of the TV...so it would be $600 plus $5 each game for me as it stated you DL the game to your PS3 and bounce it to PSP...Not gonna happen ever here...in other words no PS3....your gonna be mostly out of luck as I don't for an instant trust the "Theres gonna be some hotspot available content" crap.....what demo's yeah whatever...and moving the Turbografx system to PSP...WONDERFUL...except is has already been done and I already enjoy TG16,PCE, and SGX games on my PSP...so making them available is no help...so I guess I won't miss out on PS3 after all :)

JKKDARK
November 9th, 2006, 00:22
not a bad prices. PSX has some great games ;)

CrAzY_fLiP3
November 9th, 2006, 00:28
hmm i give sony a small round of applause. they didnt inflate the price to 15$+. still, it would be nice if i didnt have to buy FF7 yet again. im considering buying a new PSP for that once purpose lol.. i REALLY could use a new one :) i basically used it for everything lol but FF7 mobile?:D count me in. as for the upcoming PSXP and all those emulators, i would love to see homebrew overtake the Sony version in terms of performance, speed, etc. that would just be priceless. also looking forward to N64 on PSP. but sadly i cant really get a 1.5 psp.. stores pretty much sell 2.6+ TA-082s :(

the_eternal_dark
November 9th, 2006, 00:58
I'll still be putting heart into the homebrew emulators.

goaliedude
November 9th, 2006, 01:07
who nos mayb the new emulator will be cracked n ported 2 lower fw's

Anger
November 9th, 2006, 01:38
some people are missing something. the people assuming you MUST have a ps3 are wrong. it wont be required at all - it would be better so you can store your games but its by no means necessary. in one of the interviews the boss guy was asked if they would be downloaded only via the ps3 and he said no the psp would also be able to download them. anyway i think they have or are going to miss the release date for the firmware just like they always miss there dates. however i will be watching this with interest.

dmac
November 9th, 2006, 02:31
i still think it should be free for games you own. Rip them with the PS3 to the PSP.

samthegreat68
November 9th, 2006, 04:17
how are you going to have to download these games??

because if you can DL them on a pc i can see these easily being pirated

The_Ultimate_Eggman
November 9th, 2006, 10:14
The Rip i have of ridge racer without the music tracks weighs in at just over 500mb and the tekkens at around 600 ish without music.Havnt tried to zip them yet to see how good a compresion rate i can get will do them and post findings.

Anger
November 9th, 2006, 10:20
were talking about the psx versions of the games. the psx version of ridge racer with music ripped is 6-7 meg.

how are you going to have to download these games??

because if you can DL them on a pc i can see these easily being pirated

i agree - but i think sony knows this and thats why the reasonable price, they know people will consider buying them at a sensible price.
but i do agree getting the ones we have for free would be better but this isnt so bad.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
November 9th, 2006, 10:24
were talking about the psx versions of the games. the psx version of ridge racer with music ripped is 6-7 meg.

i agree - but i think sony knows this and thats why the reasonable price, they know people will consider buying them at a sensible price.
but i do agree getting the ones we have for free would be better but this isnt so bad.

So am i my converted from origianl psx games.

Stew2000
November 9th, 2006, 11:43
Classic Wipeout ^_^

mr_nick666
November 9th, 2006, 12:55
who nos mayb the new emulator will be cracked n ported 2 lower fw's

Theres no chance of me upgrading my 1.5 so fingers crossed :rolleyes: Seems a realistic price for games though :) (first thing $onys got right in a long time)

vladiftodi
November 9th, 2006, 14:48
ill update if it will support a user made image or and other things taht i know :P

SteveV2
November 9th, 2006, 17:18
But I've heard a lot of people say that Ridge Racer is small. Like around a measly 5MB. Now you say its 400MB. What's the truth of the matter?

Alls I know is that SONY better get the games smaller. My 2GB Ultra II stick is packed to the MAX. And even when I get the 4GB, that space will be quickly used up as well.

To make it work, SONY needs to add value and ease of use. Storing the games on the PS3 hard drive is definitely a plus, but I can't imagine getting excited over downloading 400MB + files just to play a PS1 game.

If SONY can manage to add a Location Free WiFi feature to play stored PS1 downloads from any hotspot, that would be the ultimate push to update to 3.00. I still wouldn't personally, but I could see many people taking the plunge and committing homebrew genocide over such a feature.

Yep, I have a totally ripped Ridge Racer at 4.5 meg I think. No music as all, I mean, what's the point?

In my eyes to play a game, you really need to play a game. Imagine FFVII with no music and no FMV?
Horrible thought in'it :)

Cap'n 1time
November 9th, 2006, 18:33
Who knows, maybe sony has better compression tools than they did back in the last generation.... really REALLY good compression tools that turn these 400+ megs games into 20 or 30 megs.

Anger
November 9th, 2006, 18:40
So am i my converted from origianl psx games.
well i dont know but you have to be doing something wrong because ridge racer with just the data is 6 meg-ish. perhaps your not converting the original ridge racer? i dunno. i didnt think to check how big it would be with the music however. sigh no matter.:D

SteveV2
November 9th, 2006, 22:40
Who knows, maybe sony has better compression tools than they did back in the last generation.... really REALLY good compression tools that turn these 400+ megs games into 20 or 30 megs.

They must have something up their sleves.

There is no way these games are going for $5, how much would that cost in web space for the whole collection (7000 did I read somewhere?) at an average of 450meg.

Like you say, who knows :)