PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Bushnell Disappointed with PS3

wraggster
November 8th, 2006, 20:09
Atari founder Nolan Bushnell points out that PS and PS2 got lucky with their release, 'It wasn't anything brilliant that they did. With the PS and PS2 it was timing. They had the right pricing at the right time [and were] almost the accidental winner.' But he seeing things this time around different 'It would not surprise me if a year from now they'll be struggling to sell 1 million units.

I think hes going to be wrong :P

paulyfknt90
November 8th, 2006, 20:17
"It would not surprise me if a year from now they'll be struggling to sell 1 million units"

that ass, o hell look like the biggest jackass once they sell more than 1 million by the time of there goal.

ull eat ur words bushnell.!

jerrt
November 8th, 2006, 23:31
he voices some decent concerns, but i think his 1 million mark might be a bit of an overstatement. i think 1 million won't even meet the first 3 month demand. [launch to after new years] i mean, if people are willing to pay over 1000 for a system, more people will be willing to pay 600 for one.

acn010
November 8th, 2006, 23:36
is the ps3 limited on quantity?

freitax
November 9th, 2006, 01:17
"Atari founder Nolan Bushnell points out that PS and PS2 got lucky with their release" dude..Atari?isnt' that company like in bigh shit?i cant remember a recent good game coming from them...

quzar
November 9th, 2006, 01:54
I agree with him. Also, what part of that was quoted and what was you wraggster?

I would assume that the second quote of his is supposed to mean, that they will struggle to move 1 million units during 07. Either way I would agree with an extremely low number. I would say no more than 5million units over it's lifespan.

The problem is that they can't have a poor start and then come back, userbases just don't work like that. Since there are going to be so few consoles availible at launch, developers won't want to sink too much into it, advertising will be slim, because at most it will be 500000 people spread all around the world (part of the reason, I'm sure, why sony wants to keep the consoles in their own region, because if not, they will effectively lose targetable customers). From there, developers have to be doing something, so they will have moved more focus to the wii or 360 (or both).

That combined with the certainty of a large percentage of the hardware being defective on launch, point to a quick death for the system.

irongiant
November 9th, 2006, 10:10
The success of PSOne and PS2 lucky? What shit is he smoking.. Just reaffirms how out of touch he is with gaming now.

irongiant
November 9th, 2006, 10:17
The problem is that they can't have a poor start and then come back, userbases just don't work like that. Since there are going to be so few consoles availible at launch, developers won't want to sink too much into it, advertising will be slim, because at most it will be 500000 people spread all around the world (part of the reason, I'm sure, why sony wants to keep the consoles in their own region, because if not, they will effectively lose targetable customers). From there, developers have to be doing something, so they will have moved more focus to the wii or 360 (or both).

That combined with the certainty of a large percentage of the hardware being defective on launch, point to a quick death for the system.

Yes of course, using your logic the low initial shipments of the 360 have really affected it's long term success.. oh and the PS2 also. Sony will be shipping PS3s to market every week so the installed base will continually increase. If you remember the PSOne and PS2 launched in Japan first, didn't do too badly did they?

You're comments will be proven to be way off the mark over time. Certainty of a large percentage of defective hardware? What a load of garbage.. about 5-10% is about normal.

NoQuarter
November 9th, 2006, 10:53
Any time bushnell talks trash show him a picture of ET...
I'll buy a PS3,after a while. Especially after we find out exactly what's goin on with the first version(hardware problems and such)

quzar
November 9th, 2006, 12:33
Any time bushnell talks trash show him a picture of ET...
I'll buy a PS3,after a while. Especially after we find out exactly what's goin on with the first version(hardware problems and such)

Nolan Bushnell had nothing to do with that.

Yes of course, using your logic the low initial shipments of the 360 have really affected it's long term success.. oh and the PS2 also. Sony will be shipping PS3s to market every week so the installed base will continually increase. If you remember the PSOne and PS2 launched in Japan first, didn't do too badly did they?

You're comments will be proven to be way off the mark over time. Certainty of a large percentage of defective hardware? What a load of garbage.. about 5-10% is about normal.

As far as I know a 1% rate is unusually large for most electronics.

The difference with the 360 is that it was the first "next gen" platform. Even so, compared to sales of things like the ps2 and ps it has barely moved. The PS did poorly in japan relative to in the US. The saturn had a large market share there. The ps2's success is in large part due to the DVD drive, especially in japan.

NoQuarter
November 9th, 2006, 12:38
I know I just thought it was funny,lol
Truth is none of us know the future of this system as the market is really changing these days.console game systems are more and more like fully featured computers especially with all of the hacking going on.
I personally think It'll probably do all right since sony has a rather dedicated fanbase and it's being marketed as more than a game machine but hey I could be wrong, the same could be said about the psp and it's getting it's butt kicked by the DS.Except where homebrew is concerned.

irongiant
November 9th, 2006, 16:31
"As far as I know a 1% rate is unusually large for most electronics."

If that is true then the 360 is also doomed as that has experienced more than 1% of defective units. I'd like to know exactly how you can predict a certainty of a large percentage of defective launch units, do you work on the actual production line?

Sony have challenges ahead and problems aplenty but speculation being put across as fact is just plain stupid.

quzar
November 9th, 2006, 19:04
"As far as I know a 1% rate is unusually large for most electronics."

If that is true then the 360 is also doomed as that has experienced more than 1% of defective units. I'd like to know exactly how you can predict a certainty of a large percentage of defective launch units, do you work on the actual production line?

Sony have challenges ahead and problems aplenty but speculation being put across as fact is just plain stupid.

Based on the original Playstation, and Playstation 2 release hardware, I predict that the initial release Playstation 3 hardware will have a relatively high defect rate, as the previous ones did.

I'd like to see where you found a percentage for the amount of defective xbox 360 units. Also, you can't compare the two regardless because the xbox 360 was the first "next generation" system, so it will always have that over the PS3 and Wii, similarly to how the Genesis had a large edge for a long time by coming out first (although it didn't suffer from the other problems so it's not a particularly good compairison).

I didn't mean to state what I said about hardware defect as pure fact, it's my judgement(and that of others) based on the prior information of SCE hardware launches, that there will be a large amount of defective pieces of hardware.

kumquatskickass
November 9th, 2006, 19:47
<HTML><B><I>
Atari founder Nolan Bushnell points out that PS and PS2 got lucky with their release" dude..Atari?isnt' that company like in bigh shit?i cant remember a recent good game coming from them...</I></B></HTML>

You're kidding, right? Although they were not the developers, there is the Unreal franchise, and a close relationship with Epic. Atari is actually apart of infogrames. They have alot of intellecual properties.

quzar
November 9th, 2006, 20:09
<HTML><B><I>
Atari founder Nolan Bushnell points out that PS and PS2 got lucky with their release" dude..Atari?isnt' that company like in bigh shit?i cant remember a recent good game coming from them...</I></B></HTML>

You're kidding, right? Although they were not the developers, there is the Unreal franchise, and a close relationship with Epic. Atari is actually apart of infogrames. They have alot of intellecual properties.

The thing is, that has nothing to do with Nolan Bushnell. The current company named Atari only shared a name and logo with the company he ran.

kumquatskickass
November 9th, 2006, 20:19
True, but the company in of itself does have well known games. The next edition of Neverwinter nights is due out soon. Granted, there isn't a butt load of developement by them, and it seems they are happy with the production side, to say they have nothing notable would be a false statement.

SnesR0X
November 10th, 2006, 03:55
it's hard to say, the thing is it would be harder for parents to go and spend 600 dollars on their kid for their christmas gift, and spending 250 bucks on a wii is a lot more attractive to money-concerned people

mavsman4457
November 10th, 2006, 04:27
Atari founder Nolan Bushnell points out that PS and PS2 got lucky with their release, 'It wasn't anything brilliant that they did. With the PS and PS2 it was timing. They had the right pricing at the right time [and were] almost the accidental winner.' But he seeing things this time around different 'It would not surprise me if a year from now they'll be struggling to sell 1 million units.

I think hes going to be wrong :P

When was the last time Atari came out with a console?

kumquatskickass
November 10th, 2006, 04:34
I would love to get a PS3, being a 360 fan and I'm saying that, but unfortunately my budget can't fit that in and I think my son would have more fun with a Wii... well, he will as soon as he gets older. Gonna start him young, he's only 5 months now and I think the Wii controler is easier to use for younger kids. PLUS, I can't see myself being able to convince the other that the PS3 is for him, *sigh*. So, for me... yeah, it sucks. I want them all, but that will be a big no from the boss. That and it's more important to get him learning and developement toys, that I agree with.

F9zDark
November 10th, 2006, 17:57
For those too young to remember, Nolan Bushnell founded Atari back in the 80s and released the first (or one of the first, not too sure) gaming consoles. Without him, there probably wouldn't be consoles...

I think Sony will suffer a bit from launching late and rushing to get the PS3 out the door. But as time moves on I think the PS3 will move up and gain stability in the market.

How much of that market will be in Sony's hands, I don't know. But I think it will be reduced in comparison to years before.

quzar
November 10th, 2006, 18:18
For those too young to remember, Nolan Bushnell founded Atari back in the 80s and released the first (or one of the first, not too sure) gaming consoles. Without him, there probably wouldn't be consoles...

I think Sony will suffer a bit from launching late and rushing to get the PS3 out the door. But as time moves on I think the PS3 will move up and gain stability in the market.

How much of that market will be in Sony's hands, I don't know. But I think it will be reduced in comparison to years before.

wow. If you're gonna give a history lesson, make it right. Nolan Bushnell founded atari in the 70's and created the first electronic arcade games. They went on to make the first (successful) home video game console.

F9zDark
November 10th, 2006, 21:00
Sorry was a little off, but the general idea was there, he was the father of consoles as we know them, which was the purpose of the 'history lesson'.