PDA

View Full Version : Wii wins Popular Science's "best of what's new"

wraggster
November 8th, 2006, 20:30
Popular Science awarded the Nintendo Wii as "Best of What's New" in the category of home entertainment edging out a Samsung Blu-ray player, a Logitech MP3 player, some speakers, an LCD display, and a color-calibration device to name a few. From the article:

"Remember when videogames were fun? When the controllers had only a couple buttons and you didn't have to spend an hour learning the seven-step finger dance for "walk?" Nintendo does, so it took a step back, looked at its superpowered competitors, and took a totally different path with its new console ... Photo-real or not, [Wii] games will draw you in."

Who needs mass advertising when publicity and word of mouth is this positive? But if Nintendo isn't mass advertising...

Accordion
November 8th, 2006, 21:38
as long as we never see the same advertising they used for the N64 ill be happy

Zaneblade
November 8th, 2006, 21:53
the thing i find funny is that in the end it beat a Blu-ray player :D

Dee-Lite
November 8th, 2006, 22:31
In Yo Face Sony!!!! lol

NoQuarter
November 8th, 2006, 22:41
I seem to remember how the N64 was supposed to produce silicon graphics quality games....
It sure didn't live up to that hype.
But hey they never tried that again.

Dee-Lite
November 9th, 2006, 00:21
I seem to remember how the N64 was supposed to produce silicon graphics quality games....
It sure didn't live up to that hype.
But hey they never tried that again.

Thats because they realized no1 cares about silicon graphics and continued makin games that were innovative.

Anyhoo taken from Wiki

During the developmental stages the N64 was referred to by its code name, Project Reality. The name Project Reality came from the speculation within Nintendo that this console could produce CGI on par with then-current supercomputers.

Anyway what a strange thing to point out- you seem to have missed off the fact that n64 brought about true 3D analogue controll and rumble feature and four controller ports as standard to name a few simple things, which innevatibly all rivals copied and thus shaped the way for gaming consoles in many ways just as it has with all its consoles.
Silicone graphics? meh leave that to the PCs is what I say

Sorry i'll shut up now, its late and I know i'm blabbering- every1 has their views and I appreciate that

Thanks

Dee