PDA

View Full Version : Live Linux CD for the Nintendo Wii

zidanerick
November 9th, 2006, 12:09
What's WiiLi?

* WiiLi is a live Linux CD that makes the Nintendo Wii boot into a full Linux Desktop without the need of a mod chip or hardware modification.

Looks like the Wii community is fast with modification on this one, i look forward to playing the PSOne version of Point Blank with the Wiimote :D

WiiLi Website (http://www.wiili.org/index.php?title=Main_Page)

MikeDX
November 9th, 2006, 12:11
beta for the first 200 users on the forum with at least 3 posts..

spam spam spam

NoQuarter
November 9th, 2006, 12:14
Um,It says to just download mandriva to see what it looks like,lol
It'll be nice if this is real.

zidanerick
November 9th, 2006, 12:43
I'm hoping this is real as well, but guess we will not know till release day

Sektor
November 9th, 2006, 15:15
Hehe it's a joke. WiiLi = We Lie = BS!

Kramer
November 9th, 2006, 15:22
lol yeah probably a BS money making scheme.

ExcruciationX
November 9th, 2006, 19:12
I think it's fake. Besides, I doubt the Wii would be good for Linux anyway.

Xiro
November 9th, 2006, 20:12
Its not fake, they are basically attempting to port GC-linux to the Wii very quickly after launch.

Read before you post

gotmilk0112
November 9th, 2006, 21:55
why would anyone want linux on their WII?

kinda strange if u ask me. :p

Junixx
November 9th, 2006, 22:34
why would anyone want linux on their WII?

kinda strange if u ask me. :p

I think of the apps, full web browser and other things, and if it could access the SD-card slot then theres some room for expansion

:Edit:

Wow i like that IBM Linux commercial that theres a link to on that site

abeisgreat
November 10th, 2006, 15:36
i really hope its not fake it looks so cool!!

Talka1ot
November 13th, 2006, 03:31
Hope this is true, I would want it.

slayer410
November 19th, 2006, 20:50
Lmao. Doesn't the Wii come with the Linux OS and the Opera Browser? :rolleyes:

Knux896
November 20th, 2006, 02:53
Lmao. Doesn't the Wii come with the Linux OS and the Opera Browser? :rolleyes:

No. :(

No Linux and the browser has been delayed a bit.

Wally
November 20th, 2006, 02:54
Well heres something that you guys won't want to hear, Im not going to homebrew up my Wii unless there is a reasonable excuse to :P

waternova
November 30th, 2006, 22:07
Actually, the OS on the Wii IS Linux, just without a desktop. So, asuming someone figures it out, all someone needs to do is port a new interface (i.e. desktop) to the Wii, the core programming is already there.

Junixx
November 30th, 2006, 22:09
It is? could you please show the source where you got this information?

waternova
December 1st, 2006, 02:18
It is? could you please show the source where you got this information?

I dunno, It could just be a very strong rumor, but here are a few links. Use a search engine if you want and you can find more. Sounds good to me. :p Like I said, I could be wrong, it could be a rumor. :eek:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/10/08/1754219.shtml
http://playsquad.commongate.com/post/Wii_uses_Linux_as_operating_system_with_proprietar y_GUI
http://digg.com/tech_news/Wii_Will_Have_an_Updatable_Linux_OS

Joel92
December 1st, 2006, 03:08
i really cant tell if it is a real product coming out or not. the website doesnt look all that legit...

waternova
December 1st, 2006, 06:35
i really cant tell if it is a real product coming out or not. the website doesnt look all that legit...

Not supporting or denying, just keep in mind that it is a Wiki, not made by a company, but an online community that is trying to create it. Almost anything written there can be edited by just about anybody. It wont look "legit" because it is constantly shifting, and probably not made by a html coding team. This does not mean that it is not something that they are really developing. As for being a "product," it will likely be a free download, which is why they using donations for the server. A product you pay for does not need donations to pay for servers, that is what profit is for. The way that they describe it, it may even be an ISO to download and burn for your Wii. That is just my opinion, and it is not necessarily correct. I know that you cant believe everything you read online, and donations may sound kinda fishy, but if you call something illegit, please give a decent reason.

Your humble n00b,
Waternova

billytopley
December 9th, 2006, 21:36
i have linux on my ds, although its only a shell line, it can still be quite useful for printing files or editing programmes. Linux on the wii actually sounds auite interesting.

abeisgreat
December 11th, 2006, 03:56
i think it will be awsome if they actually make it a boot disc, but a channel would be way cooler

Deburner
January 21st, 2007, 21:48
i wouldn't expect a channel unless you count the disc channel

anyways would you really want your sd card filled up partly just because its not on sd