PDA

View Full Version : UAE4ALL Burning Tutorial

Soldiaz
October 15th, 2004, 18:37
Hey guys, i've been waiting so long for an Amiga Emu for DC, it's really cool!
..hope that Wings of Fury, Hostages, POW and a few other games will run on it :-) .

now my question:

How do i burn that emulator. I tried it two times but both discs reboots after the sega screen. Can you guys provide an exact tutorial ?

that would be pretty cool

Soldiaz

@ chui
please go on working on that emu - awesome!

tinku
October 15th, 2004, 21:21
tutorials are almost none existant for anything homebrew

i suggest you get the sbi and sb inducer http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/

it works fine and read the basic instruction as to the rom and required disk image

tinku :)

Soldiaz
October 16th, 2004, 03:08
wich basic instructions do you mean?

There is neither an .nfo nor a readme file inside the archive :-(

wraggster
October 16th, 2004, 03:54
if anyone has or would like to make a tutorial, ill be glad to host it here and you will be fully credited

Soldiaz
October 16th, 2004, 07:22
i walked around this forum and finally got this here:

Toast to root cd:
- 1st_read.bin (scrambled bin).
- kick.rom : amiga bios renamed.
- df0.adf : Floppy disk image.

i burned without kickrom and dfo.adf... i'll try it with those other files

IT DOES NOT WORK :-(

i made it that way:

burned 1st session audio file, 250mb
binhack 1st_read and ip.bin (value 122856)
moving 1st_read to data dir
patch custom logo into ip.bin
made iso with offset 122856
ipins
burn iso cd-xa mode 2

Result: disc reboots after sega screen

tinku
October 16th, 2004, 09:49
well i gave you an alternative.

after your walk around the forum you found the basic instruction.

tinku

ron
October 16th, 2004, 12:10
Exactly like the DCaSTaway version.
Bin and Workbench + ADF files
ISO Multisession Mode 1 (Not closed) and put on it as many ADF's as you want.
It allows to continue adding ADF in next sessions

To start de emu use de XMAS disc, and it brings DEMOMENU and DCHACKER, any of both are perfeclty to launch the EMU,.
That's all,. Enjoy

Soldiaz
October 17th, 2004, 06:53
mmh i cant build a selfbooting disc????

Robert_Johnston
October 17th, 2004, 09:38
To easily burn a self-boot version,
You need to have the BroadBand Ripping Kit. (It comes with SELFBOOT program).
You need the 1ST_READ.BIN from www.dcemu.co.uk
You need a bin file of Workbench 1.3 renamed to KICK.ROM.
You need some .ADF files that you want to test or play.
You need the ip.bin file from within ipfull directory of the BroadBand Ripping Kit installation directory.

Put all of the files.....

ip.bin
1st_read.bin
kick.rom
and your .ADF files

into a separate directory like 'uaeforall'.

From the Broadband Ripping Kit's SELFBOOT installation directory,
run the SELFBOOT.exe

It will give you a dialogue menu to select the directory you want to make into a selfbooting DC disk.
Select the directory where you put all the necessary files into ...ie 'uae4all'.
Next, choose to create a Disc Juggler /Nero Burning Rom image
Then Click the coresponding button for your cdburner of choice.
It will create a cdi image for DJ or Alcohol120%
or automatically use cdi2nero to make a nero .nrg image.
either are ready to burn.

Note nero images from this method must be burned with nero 5.

if you don't like the console vision logo. you can use another ip.bin file or make your own.

The emulator is semi functional. Mouse emulation with the Control pad is semi functional,
if you go to the right, past half way all left right movement is lost, remaing up and down only.
Overall it is an outstanding achievement.
Let's all encourage its development by giving objective and detail specific bug reports.

Have fun, play/testing it.

wraggster
October 17th, 2004, 09:46
Thanks for that :), this scene is in need of a total revamp of tutorials.

tinku
October 17th, 2004, 12:32
it sure is

You need to have the BroadBand Ripping Kit.

whats that? i never needed that to make selfboot diskz

tinku ???

Soldiaz
October 20th, 2004, 10:47
... i am familiar with those different manners of making selfboot discs, but using bin2boot has got a huge disadvantage compared to the echelon method.
You cant read the disc properly. Each time you want to grab files from that disc, you have to use isobuster and hope that its going to extract the files.

Again...how can i build a disc using cdrecord and NOT bin2boot or suppn like that.

The disc shall be readable afterwards....

BlackAura
October 21st, 2004, 06:29
I've never had any problems reading a data/data disc...

As for burning a disc with cdrecord, if you're doing it manually...

Get a small audio sample, and burn that to a CD as an audio track
Get the multisession info off the disc
Create the second session using mkisofs
Insert the IP.BIN into the second session image
Burn the second session image using cdrecord

Selfboot can do it though. Just choose the cdrecord method, and follow the instructions.

Soldiaz
October 21st, 2004, 13:23
ok this tutorial fits to UAE4ALL:

Step.1 - Get your SCSI ID
From a DOS prompt, in your selfboot directory, type the following command.

cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord will give you a list of all attached devices that it can identify. Locate your CD-Burner on this list. Write down the 3 numbers it gives you.
For example, if your CD burner is at 0,1,0 write those numbers down, just like that.
(See notes if you have problems here)
From now on, these numbers will be used where ever you see the command: "-dev=x,x,x" where x,x,x are your device's SCSI ID numbers.

http://www.dcemulation.com/newhelp/cdrecordscanbus.jpg

Step.2 - Burn the First Session

cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -multi -audio audio.raw

When CD Record finishes it's task, you will have successfully burned the first session and first audio track

Step.3 - Getting Multi Session off-set numbers
From a DOS prompt, in your selfboot directory, make sure your CD-R is still in the drive an type the following command.

cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -msinfo

When CD Record finishes it's task, it will print on the screen two numbers. a Zero, and most likely either the numbers 11700 or 11702 which are the most common off set numbers for a CD-R with nothing but 4 seconds of blank audio on it (which is exactly what the first session is)
(see notes if you have read the general tutorial on making "disk warning" audio tracks)
When you have the numbers on screen, write them down. The first one will always be 0, but the second one can vary depending on your burner, and the length of the audio track burned in session 1. These numbers will be referred to from now on as "x,y" and will be used in the burning on the second session, and possibly the creation of the selfbooting image. Keep this in mind.

Step.4 - Setting up the files
From Windows, create a sub-directory (folder) inside your selfboot directory. Name this sub-directory "data". In this new directory, copy ALL the files needed for the program you are trying to make self booting.

1st_read.bin (scrambled bin). *
kick.rom : amiga bios renamed. *
df0.adf : Floppy disk image.

Make sure you have ALL files in root directory e.g. c:\selfboot\data\files_go_here.
The top level (i.e. the root of "data") should contain a file called ip.bin, and 1st_read.bin. You need to move your IP.BIN file from your data folder into your main directory. You do NOT want the IP.BIN in your "data" directory.

Step.5 - Hacking the boot-up files
Ok, i'm leaving this as a step for one important reason. To warn you NOT to try and running binhack on the UAE4ALL 1st_read.bin file. For those of you that make self-boots on a daily basis, you may be used to running binhack on all your ip.bin and 1st_read.bin files.

Step.6 - Creating the Selfbooting Image

mkisofs -C x,y -V SOLDIAZ -l -o data.iso data

Make sure that in the command, you substitute in your off set numbers instead of x,y.

After the program is done, you will have a new file in your selfboot director called "data.iso"

Step.7 - Injecting the boot sector

ipins

The ip inserting program will run, and it will ask you for the name of the boot sector. You will type "IP.BIN". it will then ask you for the name of the ISO image. You will type "data.iso". After the program completes (doesn't take very long) you will be ready for the final step.

Step.8 - Buring the second session

cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -xa1 data.iso

after the program completes (this will take several minutes) you should have a self-booting DC CD-R of UAE4ALL. Eject the disk when finished, and try it in your Dreamcast. Have fun!! Note: This last step does not work for a lot of people, you can also use CDR Win to burn the iso, just burn the iso in regular Mode 1.

taken from dcemulation.com and a bit modified

VampiricS
October 21st, 2004, 13:30
Damn seems like people are looking for way to complex method for people having problems burning those emulators. Stuff that is needed is pretty much just the files from the emulator release in 1 folder, add an IP.BIN file, the BIOS file,and the ADF files you want to try with the emu,all in the same folder. Then just use DIR2BOOT.EXE to selfboot the files that are into that folder. That's all. So far it worked for me each time.

claus
November 9th, 2004, 05:07
Hello
I did put the:
ip.bin
1st_read.bin
kick.rom
and some adf images in the sub.
But it boots after the sega screen then i was wondering if i could put the adf. files into a folder like i do in dcastaway.
:)

law56ker
January 2nd, 2005, 04:22
Ok what is the name of the bios i must rename to kickstart, aren't there more then one atari bios'. Also could please message me on how or where to find the adf files i need to run the emulator. Help whould greatly be appreciated i have tried to burn this and ruined many cds.

zuschauer
May 24th, 2005, 22:10
hi!

i put

IP.BIN (of selfboot directory)
1st_read.bin (UAE4ALL archive)
kick.rom (was kickstart1.3)
df0.adf
and many adf files

in a directory and started selfboot!!!

i burned the cd and boot it up in dreamcast.

the dreamcast and after the sega logo appeared and the it starts over and over again. it loops.... :eek:

any hints? ideas?`

thx.

zuschauer
May 24th, 2005, 23:57
now i followed Soldiaz instructions ... the same result.

dreamcast logo
sega logo - consolevison-

looping ...

plz help. :(

Soldiaz
October 9th, 2005, 12:53
ok I am going to burn the new beta 1 release and I will post exactly the way I do it...hope it works :-)