PDA

View Full Version : UAE4ALL 24.09.2004 Released

DCEmu_Newsposter
September 24th, 2004, 09:47
Bit of an apology here, the download earlier was corrupt, so i fixed the uploading program and to my dismay Chui still couldnt get a proper version up because of browser problems, but now its all fixed and you can download from the UAE4All Page (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/uae4all.shtml) [br][br]I would have done it sooner but have been out all day at work.[br][br]I shall make sure in future theres cover when me and Lyon arent around.

wraggster
September 24th, 2004, 10:14
10 times i had to reupload

godknows where the problem was :(

thebear99
September 24th, 2004, 11:30
Bit of an apology here, the download earlier was corrupt, so i fixed the uploading program and to my dismay Chui still couldnt get a proper version up because of browser problems, but now its all fixed and you can download from the UAE4All Page (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/uae4all.shtml) [br][br]I would have done it sooner but have been out all day at work.[br][br]I shall make sure in future theres cover when me and Lyon arent around.

Yes, thank-you. Many of us have been left in a state of extreme emulator-envy, looking for an outlet, but not finding one.
Thanks again! :D

M@jk
September 24th, 2004, 11:46
ok i just tested:
-sound is horrible (good idea its off :)
-still very sloooow :/ it would be great to see the same speed as dcastaway!
-disk swap is great, but when you change disk there are no screen-refresh
-also mouse sensitive is needed
-and the resoultion of every game is wrong :/ about 1/4 screen is cut
-

wraggster
September 24th, 2004, 12:12
at least the downloads working ::)

thebear99
September 24th, 2004, 15:26
at least the downloads working ::)

Yes, and I was just being tongue in cheek with my comment. I hope that was obvious.

You are doing a great job with this website and these emulator authors are amazing. I love the frequent releases. It lets you see work in progress.

Is there a biography of the authors, or an interview, about anywhere?

Thanks
Tom

arqueiro
September 24th, 2004, 15:33
Yes, and I was just being tongue in cheek with my comment. I hope that was obvious.

You are doing a great job with this website and these emulator authors are amazing. I love the frequent releases. It lets you see work in progress.

Is there a biography of the authors, or an interview, about anywhere?

Thanks
Tom

i watn this too, i know that chui on some time ago already make some dreamcast emu / app but i dont know what...

and i never see him before (i mean arround the internet foruns)

tinku
September 24th, 2004, 20:25
I wounder if we will ever see this and the st emu on the PS2,
now that would really rock

well done Chui your gona be famouse.....

tinku.

qatmix
September 25th, 2004, 03:45
why would it rock? Only people with chipped illegal playstations could use it. Personally it think it would be sad. This being a Dreamcast site etc?

The coolness of the DC scene is that anyone can try this on their DC

Im waiting for Chui to add multiple disc support etc to Castaway. Then concentrate ont eh amiga as its going to be much harder to get to full speed

LyonHrt
September 25th, 2004, 17:20
well i suppose as this is the hosted forum for chui's emu, it would cover any platform he wish's to port it.

imo though, dc version would always be the most impresive, but i'd be equally impressed if he could port it to other systems using legal dev kits (ps2 and gc respectfully)

Other than that i agree with your qatmix :P

scrabbus
September 26th, 2004, 03:21
please this is a dc forum, its about time we showed a little more disrespect for sony they show us no respect every time they try and charge$370 for a handheld console, sorry people this is a rant, but a justified one, the DC was a gorgeous piece of kit, equal to that ****ing so called emotion engine, what a load of kippers arses that turned pout to be, £100 for a 5 year old console anyone???

ron
September 26th, 2004, 05:10
I would like to be serious as much as I can. But let me tell you that , the only interest we have at the moment is just port o re-write emulators for DreamCast and GP32. I don't know how's the SCENE in other consoles like Xbox and PS2, and really i do not care too much because as I said, the DC is our target. I hope than others can put their knwolegde in things like that, but that's not our priority now. If you were reading the M68K thread, you could know that my first attempt was to port the 3 M68000K computers to the DC. More people is supporting us for a port of the Sharp X68000, but until Macintosh emu for DC is over will not be ready for more developments.
Meka, Chui and Me , and that's very important, we do work for living, and time is something precious that we dont have at the moment.
What we do look for, is bring to the DC all the tools and needed elements to bring this console to its real position.

wraggster
September 26th, 2004, 05:15
thanks for sharing that info ron :)

wraggster
September 26th, 2004, 05:24
macintosh emu ;)

BaldMonk
September 26th, 2004, 05:54
macintosh emu ;)

Haha... I saw that too...

Ron, let me be the first to say, I can't thank you and the others enough for blessing the DC community with these emulators. Not only do they let a lot of us relive our best nostalgic memories, but they also show the outside world what a powerhouse the Dreamcast truely is when put in the hands of the right coder. I truley thought I'd NEVER see anything resembling an Amiga or even Atari on the DC, and you've brought them both over to us all. I was gobsmacked when Ian and Co. released NeoCD, which still astounds me today, but having the Amiga.... wow.... I've been playing Stunt Car Racer for hours... haha.

Thanks again. :) Keep up the great work ;)

arqueiro
September 26th, 2004, 06:55
Haha... I saw that too...

Ron, let me be the first to say, I can't thank you and the others enough for blessing the DC community with these emulators. Not only do they let a lot of us relive our best nostalgic memories, but they also show the outside world what a powerhouse the Dreamcast truely is when put in the hands of the right coder. I truley thought I'd NEVER see anything resembling an Amiga or even Atari on the DC, and you've brought them both over to us all. I was gobsmacked when Ian and Co. released NeoCD, which still astounds me today, but having the Amiga.... wow.... I've been playing Stunt Car Racer for hours... haha.

Thanks again. :) Keep up the great work ;)

I agree with baldmonkey :P

thanks for doit this amazing emus to your best console ever maid :P

PS: nice see you here bald" ;D

BaldMonk
September 26th, 2004, 08:40
Eeeeep Eeeeeep!

Yeah, I wasn't gonna sign up, but I decided to... dunno why :) But I like it here anyway :)

ron
September 26th, 2004, 13:33
Hey friends.
These words are really a great support and a motivation for continue working on DC Scene. I feel realy like you, I owned an ATARI ST, AMIGA and Apple Mac Plus. Those computers at actual day are still kicking and alive, so why cant we recreate its working with our DC's ?. I would like to convince other coders that owns DC for keep working in this or other emulators for DC.
Ian Michael, Propeller, Stef, Fox68k, Chui, Mekanaizer and many many other people are doing an enormous work and contributing with their ideas to this fantastic and wonderful comunitty. Keep On working and supporting.
Best Regards,.
Ron

scrabbus
September 26th, 2004, 13:41
Hey, I speak for everyone in here when I congratulate you on a great emulator, and you say there is still more work to do??? BLOODY HELL!!!!!!! This is like an early christmas present, what with all of the dissapointments (PCE, DSNES ET AL) this...This... Sorry its just all too good, I'm off to cry with joy

tinku
September 26th, 2004, 14:52
qatmix:

the site is DC but the forum in not it covers other consoles like the ps2. and there are more PS2 users illegal or not, it really doesnt matter. and i dont care to get into a my console is better than yours debate i have them all.

the DC is dead m8 live with it, all there is is homebrew which 90% is appaling and does nothing for the Dreamcast image at all. unfinnished rubbish. ( i mean stuff that been around for ages and not fixed).

I'm intouch with a lot of DC owners here and they have the same opinion as me about homebrew
and dont bother with 90% of it after reading the docs.

Ian Michael is the only developer that has removed homebrew from his site because it didnt come up to scratch MY HAT OFF TO HIM, if more people did that the dc scene would be much better with quality and not quantity.

saying that i have already had requests for DC hardware because the Amiga emulator has appered, the st im not interested in and neither is anyone else here.

Chui: your efforts are amazing, forget the ST and work on the Amiga as the same games exist for each system but enhanced on the Amiga as you know. the amiga killed the st in its day and will do so now.

im entitled to my opinion ;D

tinku

BaldMonk
September 26th, 2004, 15:30
qatmix:

the site is DC but the forum in not it covers other consoles like the ps2. and there are more PS2 users illegal or not, it really doesnt matter. and i dont care to get into a my console is better than yours debate i have them all.

the DC is dead m8 live with it, all there is is homebrew which 90% is appaling and does nothing for the Dreamcast image at all. unfinnished rubbish. ( i mean stuff that been around for ages and not fixed).

I'm intouch with a lot of DC owners here and they have the same opinion as me about homebrew
and dont bother with 90% of it after reading the docs.

Ian Michael is the only developer that has removed homebrew from his site because it didnt come up to scratch MY HAT OFF TO HIM, if more people did that the dc scene would be much better with quality and not quantity.

saying that i have already had requests for DC hardware because the Amiga emulator has appered, the st im not interested in and neither is anyone else here.

Chui: your efforts are amazing, forget the ST and work on the Amiga as the same games exist for each system but enhanced on the Amiga as you know. the amiga killed the st in its day and will do so now.

im entitled to my opinion *;D

tinku

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but try and make it an intelligent one. Don't go slagging off peoples homebrew efforts until you can produce something better... people could just say that your an uncontributing leech because you havnt made anything for the DC scene.

The DC won't be dead until homebrew/porting and commercial releases stop being made for it. Which hasn't happened :P

MetaFox
September 26th, 2004, 16:17
tinku: All I have to say is this: the PS2 development scene isn't any better than the Dreamcast development community when it comes to unfinished projects. And it's understandable for both systems as developers have lives outside of programming.

You have a right to your opinion - as long as it's constructive criticism. When you go off slagging authors for no reason, then it's no longer an opinion - you are just being an ass.

qatmix
September 26th, 2004, 17:15
Agreed, Tinku your argument is invalid. there is not 1 Legal PS2 which plays homebrew. I own a PS2 (un chipped). So I can play games. However i also love the vibrancy of a homebrew scene. There are some great things for the DC which are free to all, yes they might not be onthe same level as a multimillion pound commercial game. But they sometimes offer interestign alternatives. Thats why i like the sene. :P

Im not having a go. just enjoy it for what it its.

Personally I hope the ST emu gets tidied up before concentrating on the Amiga etc as there are some top ST only games (I had both a ST and Amiga so Im not Biased)

Cheers and be happy
Q

Ian_micheal
September 26th, 2004, 21:45
Hmm ive not removed home brew i have 2 games i wrote one coming out in 3months as well which maybe you may like or not. Lot of us just dont have the time and have life and work outside of this hobby.

The Amiga emulator is really impressive to me it's great seeing the best 16 bit machine shining on the best console. Both the amiga and dc had great homebrew software . The *Dreamcast is like the new amiga which is fitting to see the amiga on the dreamcast. You will find better homebrew on the amiga but there is good why it had much larger user base of programers. In time Dreamcast will see some great homebrew games there is some now like alice and feet of fury some new ones from dan soon among other's in no order..

Still i thought totaly impossable at any playable speed i did tests using 200mhz pc i got 40% speed max so this really is some great work props to you people for making a impossable dream to a commodore fan come true.

Dont know if you know but the amiga 500 could emulate the c64 vic20 and gameboy. *;)

I might be able to help with some optmizing for the amiga emu ive found unrolling all loops gives %5 to 10% speed up if done by hand to a factor of 4x.

If you have long functions break them up into smaller ones this avoids cache misses.

Found a lot of things to do with optmizing for the sh4 in the sh4 chip docs which do infact work..

Just dont have much time as you seen neogeo cd should be finshed but it's not. Im waiting for the fame sh4 core to finsh it.

This has been the best year to me lets look forward to the the coming years.

BaldMonk
September 26th, 2004, 21:57
If you have long functions break them up into smaller ones this avoids cache misses.

Hehe... even I know that... mind you, your the one that told me ;)

Ian_micheal
September 26th, 2004, 22:09
Hey mate waves over there. :)

scrabbus
September 29th, 2004, 14:12
well, isnt it nice to hear a 'Im not getting into the which machine is best argument' speech, hahahhaaha. If I had a pound for every ps2/x-box et al fanboys in sheeps clothing that related words very much like the preceeding sentence, I would be richer than bill gates's gardner. Ive been playing video games since 1978, I have owned/played just about every home system known to man, so please before i'm criticised bear in mind I have a bit of experience here. I get so tired of that bloody argument, its a moot one at that. What these sad little techno masturbatory fetishists don't realise is that people who love video games generally as a rule like to own a variety of consoles/computers, this way we get to play a wide range of very different games. We are a good group of people (generally, but i can name names of people in other forus who have mods with the god syndrome). We apreciate the hard work, effort and long hours it takes to make something yourself, our hobby/life is based upon these very principles. Where would the scene be without those lone coders sitting in bedrooms in the early 80's, these people propogated the whole scene. These are the people who gave me and many others some of the greatest moments of our youth. The whole 80's computer scene would have died on its feet without the lone coder, so in fact the very misguided point about homebrew made by tinku ("the DC is dead m8 live with it, all there is is homebrew which 90% is appaling and does nothing for the Dreamcast image at all") just highlights the blind, misguided attitudes of the neo-fanboys. Homebrew is vital, we need it, every machine needs it. I used to love nothing more than playing homebrew in the 80' and 90's it can be such a relief from all the tripe companies such as EA et al serve up en masse. So lets be honest here, a machine is never dead, as long as there is someone getting enjoyment from playing games on that machine then it isnt dead, just look at the retro scene , its thriving, thriving in a very multimillion pound way. So... let me finish by saluting all the lonecoders everywhere, saluting all of us who still love good games, all of us that love good games whatever the system from whatever era, we remember are the true gamers, this isnt a fashion thing, we dont buy machines because billy at school has one, we buy games consoles because we love playing games, hats off to every last one of us....Scrabbus has now left the building, you can buy his book in the foyer on your way out, thank you.

Ian_micheal
October 2nd, 2004, 00:48
How much is the book ? and is it signed :)

scrabbus
October 2nd, 2004, 13:06
hehehe, ive been writing essays on our hobbys since university, The book will follow shortly

Eric
October 2nd, 2004, 13:32
LOL scrabbus is in fact right. Also you cant hate systems cause every system has great games. It keeps getting better with the coders and i just want to add my input so thats it. I loved games as a kid but i dont think as much as i do now.

Lets just put it this way we dont need to think about systems we only think about them when making a game or buying a game that is only available for that system. So dont hate appreciate what your getting cause every system has something different. Ports are quite different as something is always going to be taken out and is never going to be near as good as the original itself even if its not noticable it still is not like the original game.

Now homebrews i go with scrabbus all the way on that but i do have to add the reason why i think homebrews may not have the popularity that they should. Classic games people really love to play but they dont have the system anymore so what a better way then to emulate it on a system and here comes the point to this dreamcast is dead commercially and so people may not want to play the homebrew games cause the system is dead and they dont want to play any of the new stuff cause they think Sega never made games anywhere as perfect as the "new systems".

Some of us know that, that is wrong but in the real world the reason why people get the dreamcast is emulation for there older games and they dont want anything other then that cause they think the games suck and they think anything newer that would come out would also be the same. I love everything and anything about the scene and if i can get everything and anything from the scene i would love that to but its seems i dont have the right equipment cause my pc is an utter piece of crap whether it plays good games or not which it cant cause my video card is crap and any game that my pc plays my Dreamcast or Xbox can play.

So all i have to say is any system is good it just depends what your fav game is. I would also like to thank many of the great coders for there great work i will say 2 cause i am very tired and can only think of 2 off of the top of my head Ian and Kamjin if i forgot anyone else you all are doing your contribution and we will see more amazing things so thanks to those 2 and many others for your great work.

Eric

VampiricS
October 2nd, 2004, 17:50
Really getting off-topic if you ask me.

Eric
October 5th, 2004, 10:25
Not really seen as how UAE4ALL is emulation and emulation is involved with what we are talking about but it probably could have been placed somewhere else as a complaint i was just adding my input and basically wanted to give a high computer 5 for an exellent job to all coders this year

scrabbus
October 12th, 2004, 14:38
well, you know, theres always a descenting voice!! please read my post

scrabbus
October 12th, 2004, 14:38
then maybe you will see im not off topic