PDA

View Full Version : Open Platform for PS3

wraggster
November 10th, 2006, 22:51
Sony have posted this:

PLAYSTATION®3 allows any desired third-party system software to be installed on it besides its system software provided by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Details will be posted on this site soon.

Lets pray that means homebrew too ;)

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html

MikeDX
November 10th, 2006, 22:52
Once again I'll believe it when it happens.

uneekracer
November 11th, 2006, 01:07
homebrew on psp yeah!!!!!!!!!!

JKKDARK
November 11th, 2006, 01:58
homebrew on ps3 yeah!!!!!!!!!!

I corrected it for you ;)

F9zDark
November 11th, 2006, 04:23
Well seeing that Linux comes preshipped with it, it would be very hard for Sony to block out software made for Linux.

However this isn't that great an offering, at least as far as I am concerned; I have never gotten Linux to work without problems and installing an application without the right libraries is nigh impossible.

My case is probably rare, but Linux for me = Web, AIM, Word Processing and thats about it.

Now if Sony means homebrew games launched from the XMB, then thats a totally different story. But for homebrewers to learn the Cell architecture without a Sony-made SDK for 3rd Party use would be daunting to say the least. At least with the PSP we many other MIPS processors to learn from or derive from; not the case with the Cell.

Adrenalin
November 11th, 2006, 07:00
i doubt sony will encourage homebrew etc, looking at what they did to psp!
they'll certainly havea shitload mof protection about playing games illegally though i'm 100% sure.
guess we have to wait and see to be sure though

Junixx
November 11th, 2006, 07:29
I think when they say "third-party" I don't think of homebrew, i think of developers such as EA Games, Ubisoft, etc. Thats what I've always heard third party as on consoles

mnuhaily22
November 11th, 2006, 07:42
Wow, a system with that much power will be able to load homebrew that is crazy, can't wait.

kando
November 11th, 2006, 07:44
they already get all the money they need from u up front...after that the games are just bonuses...i guess they can give u homebrew for 700 bucks :P

vladiftodi
November 11th, 2006, 11:12
actualy its true its written on wiki and mnust be true, but it will have a separate processor for that unsigned sw tahts al and some limited call

vladiftodi
November 11th, 2006, 11:15
i think it willrun through yellow dog's linux taht will be preinstaleed on hdd
read on wiki

Chackan
November 11th, 2006, 12:02
I think that if this is true, it's really unfair...What about the PSP?

LazerTag
November 11th, 2006, 13:39
What Sony website is this quote originally from?

Virus.exe
November 11th, 2006, 15:12
why should we need homebrew if we can make our own pc with linux?

Junixx
November 11th, 2006, 15:52
actualy its true its written on wiki and mnust be true, but it will have a separate processor for that unsigned sw tahts al and some limited call

You know anyone can edit a wiki and put false info on it right?

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 20:54
You know anyone can edit a wiki and put false info on it right?

too true...