PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew on the PS3 from the Begining ?

wraggster
November 11th, 2006, 07:15
Sony have seemingly dropped a bombshell already with news on one of their sites that reads:

PLAYSTATION®3 allows any desired third-party system software to be installed on it besides its system software provided by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Details will be posted on this site soon.

Lets pray that means homebrew too

Discussion Here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42096)

Is homebrew from the start a reality, well we all hope so, keep your eyes focused on PS3 Evolution (http://ps3-evolution.dcemu.co.uk/) for any breaking details regarding homebrew on the PS3.

polkod
November 11th, 2006, 07:44
I heard official news that the PS3 will impliment the Update feature just like the PSP.

Nikolaos
November 11th, 2006, 08:16
yay i heard of this news :) cant wait for ps3 launch! wraggy made a mistakey *cough* 'begining'

CoderX
November 11th, 2006, 08:17
well here is your FW 1.0 and 1.5 as far as homebrew goes. likely limited to user mode style executions, but im sure it will be a short while till that is bypassed.

I find it funny that sony would do this after the psp

Makaveli777
November 11th, 2006, 09:32
Thats a good idea for sony. Because that would just blow he competitions deals away. Like wii's emulators and xbox live arcade. That is if this includes homebrew.

ACID
November 11th, 2006, 09:34
Sure it wont. Look at the big fuss they have made over PSP homebrew.

Xander9
November 11th, 2006, 09:38
Who knows? The only way to find out is wait the short little while that's left before it is realeased.

Airdevil
November 11th, 2006, 09:58
well the PS3 runs linux, so im not surprised.

splodger15
November 11th, 2006, 10:13
I hope it will allow homebrew then they may think of creating an update for the psp to allow homebrew

jools
November 11th, 2006, 11:04
Im not gona get my hopes up just yet but so far it looks good.

aYu][Takeshi
November 11th, 2006, 12:42
I'm also not suprised, because we knew that about one year ore more oô
(seems like it didn't care anybody)

Basil Zero
November 11th, 2006, 14:34
man, i want a ps3 so bad, that'll be cool to play SNES games on TV again

nyrtrublue
November 11th, 2006, 14:51
does anyone else think that there is gonna be alot less of an iso problem b/c of the size of the games b/c i doubt sony is worried about emulators and smaller games but piracy

geise69
November 11th, 2006, 16:27
If I want to run emulators on my tv i just use my s-video out on my video card. I'm already playing MAME, neogeo, snes, basically everything. Why wait for a ps3 to do this if you have a computer already and video out?

gas19d
November 11th, 2006, 16:39
Maybe... just maybe... Sony decides to enable homebrew in the 3.00 update to go along with a homebrew capable PS3! Yea but im a big dreamer...

mavsman4457
November 11th, 2006, 16:45
I hope it will allow homebrew then they may think of creating an update for the psp to allow homebrew

I was just thinking the same thing. Once people see homebrew on PS3, they're gonna say, "Why don't they let me do this on my PSP?" I think sony could just implement a feature so that nothing can read ISO, CSO, or DAX files or something like that. Also I think the main reason that they are allowing homebrew on PS3 from the start is because of Blu Ray. First off, the game sizes are huge so you could only fit one to a hard drive without modding it. Also, I read somewhere that Blu Ray discs have a special layer on them that makes it almost impossible to copy. Sorry I don't have the source. Also, I think that Sony had to keep up with the other guys and take it a step further. Wii and 360 allow limited homebrew and old emulators but you've gotta pay for it. That's no fun. Like their online service, this homebrew will hopefully be totally free. Also, I think Sony saw the possibilities of xbox and gamecube emulators being run on PS3 and just couldn't pass it up. That's going to be funny.

irishwhip
November 11th, 2006, 17:30

1 word
"xbox"

mr.psp
November 11th, 2006, 17:31
yep sony have realised the only way they're gonna sell the ps3 is to make it able to play nintendo and sega :)

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 17:31
Also, I think Sony saw the possibilities of xbox and gamecube emulators being run on PS3 and just couldn't pass it up. That's going to be funny.

And that would cost Sony a lot of money in lawsuits from Nintendo and Microsoft, something Sony would not like to have on them. I doubt this will mean anything outside of simple programs limited to a certain file size or specific file format.

well the PS3 runs linux, so im not surprised.

Who actually knows what Sony is using for the OS on the PS3? I highly doubt it is linux. This is turning out to be like the discussions that the Xbox360 could use gamesave exploits, even before the 360 came out. Thats just silly to assume without any knowledge of the system.

mr.psp
November 11th, 2006, 17:36
it's actually quite old news that the ps3 will run linux

Elven6
November 11th, 2006, 17:39
Lets hope they do the same for the PSP :)

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 17:43
it's actually quite old news that the ps3 will run linux

Its speculation. No one knows yet.

*edit* If you can prove it is running linux, I'd like to see it. Just because someone thinks it is running linux doesn't mean it is. No one has any experience with the console yet.

1 word
"xbox"

Dreamcast.

Emeriastone
November 11th, 2006, 18:02
if linux is available then certainly homebrew is too -- and I got meself a copy of the ps3 1.10 update.pup

qskint
November 11th, 2006, 18:31
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Linux

MicroNut
November 11th, 2006, 18:42
The PS3 is available in Japan.
I can only imagine that someone over there is thinking about all this too.

A naked PS3 for you (http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1111/ps3.htm)

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 19:33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Linux

Ok, one question, can anyone verify something for me? http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/index.html <--- is this an "Official" site? Looks like it may be, and if it is, I tip my hat to you. I've never heard anything officially from any Sony anouncement about being able to load other operating systems, and it's also not listed on the official sony or official playstation website.

telnaur
November 11th, 2006, 19:36
if the ps3 can run homebrew, I will buy one no matter what the price!
...and my respect for sony will be somewhat resored.

splodger15
November 11th, 2006, 20:00
I think sony decided to allow homebrew because what ever update they do hackers will just crack it and it saves them time and money releasing updates for just security

JKKDARK
November 11th, 2006, 20:02
if the ps3 can run homebrew, I will buy one no matter what the price!
...and my respect for sony will be somewhat resored.

All I can say: Never!

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 20:03
Time will tell if Sony allowed linux (or any other OS for that matter) to be user installed.

cador
November 11th, 2006, 20:11
Yes!!!!! Sony Is Gonna Kick Gp2x, Ds And Wii-wii's Butt!!!!!!

Sony Fanboi4life!!!!!!!!!!!

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 20:15
Yes!!!!! Sony Is Gonna Kick Gp2x, Ds And Wii-wii's Butt!!!!!!

Sony Fanboi4life!!!!!!!!!!!

Not in price or fun. The GP2X is the original opensource monster. Sony won't keep up with Nintendo still because of price.

*note* It looks like I am wrong about the PS3. It is pretty much open source.

J sims
November 11th, 2006, 20:16
does anyone else think that there is gonna be alot less of an iso problem b/c of the size of the games b/c i doubt sony is worried about emulators and smaller games but piracy

yes because you would most likely would only be able to fit one game on 60GB premium model and none on the 20GB basic model.
Also if some one was to mod the ps3 the largest affordable harddrive for the average person is 500GB(note this is just going by what i see in bestbuy) and you would only be able to fit less 10 25GB isos(file sytem uses space) on it.I am also guessing that the HDDs that ship with the ps3 have some sort of proprietery firmware on it like the ones that came with final fantasy 11(only those drives actually showed up in the Ps2 browser). But the point of all this is not to advacate isos
but to show that sony might actually support homebrew on this system.It is after all a computer not a game system, and iv yet to see nintendo sue microsoft or Dell for allowing emulators to run on PCs.

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 20:28
yes because you would most likely would only be able to fit one game on 60GB premium model and none on the 20GB basic model.
Also if some one was to mod the ps3 the largest affordable harddrive for the average person is 500GB(note this is just going by what i see in bestbuy) and you would only be able to fit less 10 25GB isos(file sytem uses space) on it.I am also guessing that the HDDs that ship with the ps3 have some sort of proprietery firmware on it like the ones that came with final fantasy 11(only those drives actually showed up in the Ps2 browser). But the point of all this is not to advacate isos
but to show that sony might actually support homebrew on this system.It is after all a computer not a game system, and iv yet to see nintendo sue microsoft or Dell for allowing emulators to run on PCs.

You can order 750GB Seagate hdd's off certain places on the net. I think tigerdirect.com or zipzoomfly.com has them.

But, Microsoft and Nintendo are still selling games from their older systems that are compatable with their new systems. Lets see if Sony gets the blame or the end user who does it. It's not a problem with emulators, its the ISO's needed to make them function. Many people with emulators don't own the games. That "I owned it one time" crap doesn't work either.

The Hombrew Hunter
November 11th, 2006, 21:44

Virtual Console.

Digging out the freakin' SNES.

Laptop to Television cables with the SNES Emulator.

Xbox Homebrew.

Guess what? ALL ARE CHEAPER!

yaay woo

Oh and I doubt this also means homebrew.

In fact, updates will probably undo this.

The Wii is the winner, no doubt. Sorry fanboys.

the_eternal_dark
November 11th, 2006, 22:44
Virtual Console.

Digging out the freakin' SNES.

Laptop to Television cables with the SNES Emulator.

Xbox Homebrew.

Guess what? ALL ARE CHEAPER!

yaay woo

Oh and I doubt this also means homebrew.

In fact, updates will probably undo this.

The Wii is the winner, no doubt. Sorry fanboys.

So true.

Destroyer699
November 11th, 2006, 22:46
Maybe this is the ps3 equvilent of the psp 1.5. Sony will update it in a few days realizing it can have homebrew, and we will all stay on it for life.

Adrenalin
November 11th, 2006, 23:18
So true.

seconded!

Maybe this is the ps3 equvilent of the psp 1.5. Sony will update it in a few days realizing it can have homebrew, and we will all stay on it for life.

we still don't actually know if it can run much/any homebrew. wait till we hear from some testers vefore you get your hopes up. And i don't think sony would make the same mistake twice - that is, if they don't want homebrew etc, they will block it in the original firmware.

That is what i believe

MicroNut
November 11th, 2006, 23:39
Everyone but Sony is saying it.
Just Google it and you will see where all the confusion comes from.

Linux for PlayStation 3 Officially Announced (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/739/739688p1.html)

PS3 to ship with Linux, Sony confirms (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2370343858.html)

Linux on PS3...A new report by Ars (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_on_PS3...A_new_report_by_Ars.)

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2006, 00:02
Everyone but Sony is saying it.
Just Google it and you will see where all the confusion comes from.

Linux for PlayStation 3 Officially Announced (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/739/739688p1.html)

PS3 to ship with Linux, Sony confirms (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2370343858.html)

Linux on PS3...A new report by Ars (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_on_PS3...A_new_report_by_Ars.)

That is true as well, we will all have to see when it releases everywhere else to determine for ourselves.

MicroNut
November 12th, 2006, 00:18
How to install another OS on your PS3! (http://ps3.qj.net/How-to-install-another-OS-on-your-PS3-/pg/49/aid/72538)

Playstation 3 Firmware 1.10 Released - Supports Homebrew! (http://ps3.qj.net/Playstation-3-Firmware-1-10-Released-Supports-Homebrew-/pg/49/aid/72450)

NoQuarter
November 12th, 2006, 01:04
just the simple fact that it is running linux means we will be able to install whatever software we want.
Remember the hooplah about the PS3 being a computer?
Well this all means that we can install whatever we want to it, be it super nintendo emu or whatever,it's a computer!

MicroNut
November 12th, 2006, 01:21
Looks like good news:
http://ps3.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/72538/other_os_qjpreviewth.jpg

Mourningstar
November 12th, 2006, 01:44
PS3 homebrew would be the only thing that could get me to buy a PS3....unless Xbox 360 homebrew comes along. ;)

The Hombrew Hunter
November 12th, 2006, 01:52
Still not gonna buy one.

At first, PS3 homebrew will suck. A'la DS. But I'll own the Wii. Cheaper, LEGAL way to own SoM and whatnot. To be played on TV.

Mourningstar
November 12th, 2006, 02:03
I was just trying to say something nice about PS3. ;)

Personally Xbox360 and Wii will be more than enough for me....

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2006, 04:05
I agree with The Hombrew Hunter on this one, Nintendo may also be looking to go after people this time for illegally downloading their games for use in emulators.

*off topic* Has anyone speculated that there may be some homebrew capability with the Wii out of the box? It has the ability to use the Gamecube memory ports and with a little sd adapter available from Nintendo (or one called SD Gecko) and Action Replay (using the SDLoad program on AR), one should be able to run code using the Gamecube system structure.

I think we have 2 systems in the next gen that may be able to have this homebrew capability, if both are proven to do so.

Khorney
November 12th, 2006, 06:35
does this mean we could *potentially* install windows on our PS3's? if so, we then have a really cheap uber computer =P

the_eternal_dark
November 12th, 2006, 07:31
does this mean we could *potentially* install windows on our PS3's? if so, we then have a really cheap uber computer =P

Possibly, but no one knows yet.

I just saw one of these things, its as big as, maybe even bigger than the XBOX360! Japan is in for a shock.

rokobungi
November 12th, 2006, 08:42
'any' probably means java or anything programmed and compiled for the cell arcitecture (will they release a compiler or the assembly needed to compile our own stuff?)so you might need a ps3 dev kit

MicroNut
November 12th, 2006, 11:23
Whatever OS it looks like it will have to be complied special for the PS3 Cell architecture.
Yellow Dog Linux is one.
And who knows how much the platform will be open to the OS.

jimjamjahaa
November 12th, 2006, 14:46
this is ideal news. we will see dual boot systems within weeks i think

the sony OS will probably be stored in a seperate memory store, so no one will mind having a fully patched un iso-able sony firmware, and then the option of booting in to linux for all your homebrew needs.

sweet

it wont be long before precompiled ps3 distros surface with beryl built in and fully optimised.

MicroNut
November 12th, 2006, 16:39
Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/)

Yellow Dog transforms PlayStation into home computer (http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/BUSINESS/610180339)

tito13kfm
November 12th, 2006, 22:09
This is actually a very smart move on Sony and will help to REDUCE the piracy of their games.

Most "hackers" of previous generation consoles were mainly looking for a way of running unsigned code, ie. emulators, media players, and the like. It was pretty much a side effect that allowed copied games to run as well.

By providing a protected area where programmers can develop and run their own programs directly on the PS3 it gives them less incentive to break any kind of security and encryption on the system.

Although, the moment there is something developers want to do that is not allowed, the full push will be on and piracy will again be a side effect.

I'm hoping that the full power of the PS3 is available to program for and it is not some restricted RTE type atmosphere that only allows access to 1 of the cores or limited memory.

tsaikimon
November 13th, 2006, 10:02
the OS only has to be compatible with the PPC CPU architecture not compiled for the cell specifically.

T-2000
November 13th, 2006, 11:24
everytime a new system arrives all we read is will it emulate this will it emulate that, how many systems do u wanna play snes games on...lol a meaty console comes out and u wanna play old games, why not go to your local 2nd hand shop and buy an old snes etc.. ;-)

pdotb
November 13th, 2006, 15:25
The current Linux release does not enable direct access to the video hardware (or bluetooth-attached peripherals)

Lets you access the BLU-RAY with a restricted interface.

For graphics, it lets you write to a single or double-buffered 2D view of the screen which will be fine for many current Linux apps but not games requiring accelerated 3D.
(My interpretation of LinuxKernelOverview.html in the recently provided Sony documentation)

Looking forward to MAME etc. and doing my occaional office/email tasks.

I see the death knell for $1000 PCs if people can now get that power on Linux and simply switch to 'gaming mode' to play games.

I hope Sony or some ingenious programmer removes the graphics restriction, but I imagine it could encourage the development of Linux-based gaming at the expense of Sony's own development approach.

Time will tell.

The addition of a usable home office computer into the PS3 makes this seem pretty good value now. Intel et al might see a few problems ahead.

mog
November 13th, 2006, 17:59
Isn't this news at least a year old now?

I can't wait till when we get PS3s over here - only 4 months to go now!! :rolleyes:

Atleast I can be sure a PS3 is going to cost more £ after waiting so long, than if I was to just import one now from Japan/US at current conversion rates...
That will be nice... *insert good sarcasm smiley here*

If only Britain was in BluRay Region A with US and Japan, but instead we are in stupid Region B. :(

Joe100517
November 23rd, 2006, 06:25
how many systems do u wanna play snes games on...lol

hahaha so true! There's just something more exciting about the old games when they're on something new... :p