PDA

View Full Version : How do you become a coder

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 01:31
Ive seen people who are psp coder or dreamcast coder,so how do you become a coder?

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 01:34
you need a coding project and some work under your belt. mods notice this then give you a coding title

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 01:36
ok, i was just curious cus I am working on some gba titles and stuff and I was wondering if that would make me eligible for a coder title. P.S. what is a LUA Coder?

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 01:40
-Lua coder

a person that codes in the programming language Lua

-psp coder

a person that codes in the programming language c/c+

-flash coder

a person that codes for the flash player

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 01:49
is that all the coding title there are?

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 01:55
well there are so many titles but for coding i think thats about it

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 02:01
I know quzar is a Dream Coder and JKKDARK is a Dreamcast Coder. So that cant be all of them what about Ds coders?

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 02:06
well i think there is a DS Lua coder

also i dont know what dream coder means its probally a specail title

dreamcast coder is coders in the field of coding for the dreamcast. I dont know what programming laungauge they use

AvengedSevenfold Fan
November 12th, 2006, 02:07
there are a ton of different coding launguages. google it. if u want to code for the psp, then u need to learn eather c or c++ (coding launguages) u can code in LUA, and run your programs on a psp LUA player. LUA is one of the easiest launguages to learn.

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 02:09
ok I want to learn to program a ds what do i need for that?

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 02:17
learn lua to code for the ds lua player

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 02:21
Ok 2 thing where can I get a Lua IDE, Second where do I get a Ds Lua Player? P.S. Its not nice to pee on video games

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 02:23
well i dont have a ds and im not up on ds homebrew talk to computer smarts for more info

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 02:25
Do you mean the member CPU_Smarts or something else?

quzar
November 12th, 2006, 02:30
for coder it's *systemname* Coder. The exception is LUA coder. The reason we made that designation is that we felt there is a large difference between someone who writes a 1 page LUA game made in 10 minutes and someone who writes anything in C/C++.

I'm a Dream Coder because I code people's Dreams.

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 02:35
for coder it's *systemname* Coder. The exception is LUA coder. The reason we made that designation is that we felt there is a large difference between someone who writes a 1 page LUA game made in 10 minutes and someone who writes anything in C/C++.

I'm a Dream Coder because I code people's Dreams.

quzar actaully a lua app or game can take me a week or even a month that why i have a dev team. small lua things can be coded in a short time grant it. but big things like a game takes time. The good thing about lua is that its always open source and you can take a look and edit the code with a note pad. also you dont have to redue a whole code to add a new feature or fix something

cpu_smarts was who i was refering to

quzar
November 12th, 2006, 03:01
quzar actaully a lua app or game can take me a week or even a month that why i have a dev team. small lua things can be coded in a short time grant it. but big things like a game takes time. The good thing about lua is that its always open source and you can take a look and edit the code with a note pad. also you dont have to redue a whole code to add a new feature or fix something

cpu_smarts was who i was refering to

Yes of course. But there are 10 "coders" a day releasing rock paper scissors in lua and they don't deserve the same ranking as "real" coders.

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 03:13
Yes of course. But there are 10 "coders" a day releasing rock paper scissors in lua and they don't deserve the same ranking as "real" coders.

yea i guess your right about that, there are some pritty silly things released in lua

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 03:15
ok so wear can i get lua? I wont release rock paper scizzors

AvengedSevenfold Fan
November 12th, 2006, 03:22
u need to learn c to start ds coding, but u will need a lot of free time on your hands to start coding. it is VERY DIFFICULT

gunntims0103
November 12th, 2006, 03:24
u need to learn c to start ds coding, but u will need a lot of free time on your hands to start coding. it is VERY DIFFICULT

im pretty sure that there is a DS lua player so he can learn lua first and familiarize himself with coding, I know alot of lua and i dont think im ready for C/C++ yet. Go on the DS section of homebrew and look for the lua player. Then start learning how to code for lua

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 03:29
Ok I already know some C#. Second I am a 13 year old home schooled kid I spend my whole day on my laptop. I think I have enough free time. Do I have to use a different compiler to program .nds?

quzar
November 12th, 2006, 04:30
Ok I already know some C#. Second I am a 13 year old home schooled kid I spend my whole day on my laptop. I think I have enough free time. Do I have to use a different compiler to program .nds?

yes. get a thing called devkitpro, it's supposed to be the best out there and has all in one for nds, gp32/x, gba, and psp.

ninja9393
November 12th, 2006, 05:00

Hey! I work hard as hell on my projects. Zion works hard as hell on zion works hard as hell on his projects, don works hard as hell on his projects.

but ur right, there are some silly lua games but still some people make really good lua games

ExcruciationX
November 12th, 2006, 05:16
...and JKKDARK is a Dreamcast Coder...
No, she's just a "Dreamcast User", people can also have "*Console Name here* User" User titles too.

I've been thinking, that I should start learning LUA, and contibute to the scene somehow.

ninja9393
November 12th, 2006, 05:19
hey go to www.evilmana.com

its the best place to learn how to code in lua

and if u need any help just ask me

abeisgreat
November 12th, 2006, 05:20
Oh sorry I though it said she was a Dreamcast Coder, My Bad

splodger15
November 12th, 2006, 10:33
Coding is not easy as you think it is abeisgreat you need patience and alot of free time on your hands and the will power to learn it

Jeremysr
November 12th, 2006, 19:38
The DSLua player is at dslua.com and the download page is at http://www.dslua.com/component/option,com_weblinks/catid,6/Itemid,5/

Download the CF version. DSLua.nds is all you really need. (You might want to keep the examples because there is no documentation or anything)

Here's DSLua tutorials: http://www.bio-gaming.com/jeremy/dslua/index.php?act=tutorials

That's the only place to learn how to program lua for DS. Otherwise go to http://www.lua.org/pil

Also before you read my tutorials read this tutorial, it explains the very first things you need to know very well: http://www.dslua.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,19/topic,114.0

It says you need the GBFS version for it working in an emulator but for me CF version works perfectly in Dualis.

quzar
November 12th, 2006, 20:16
Coding is not easy as you think it is abeisgreat you need patience and alot of free time on your hands and the will power to learn it

frankly, it is easy. all you have to do is want to learn it. if you do it all falls into place. i would reccomend against C#. if you want a language like it, go with java, they're very similar in capability but java is more multi-platform friendly. I would generally reccomend to start with C. It's very simple, very powerful, and can be used on pretty much every platform out there ( of course with modification). With console dev, it is also usually extremely important to learn the hardware features and how to use them, and C is the best for this.

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 01:16
Ok there was alot of info in that. So you think i should start learning C and then once I master it ( or get pretty good ) move on to java?

Cap'n 1time
November 13th, 2006, 01:24
Ok there was alot of info in that. So you think i should start learning C and then once I master it ( or get pretty good ) move on to java?

It can be argued that there is no point to "move on" to java. C is a very powerful language. Then again learning new things is always good I guess.

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 01:34
Ok but I should still start by learning C and using the devkit pro to compile it. Right?

quzar
November 13th, 2006, 01:50
JAVA and C are two different paths you can take to learn the basics. java has it's uses for rapid application development, cross platform software, and in general most stuff to do with the web. C is easier to learn, but harder to deal with (if that makes any sense).

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 01:56
Ok so which would you recomend?

gunntims0103
November 13th, 2006, 01:58
JAVA and C are two different paths you can take to learn the basics. java has it's uses for rapid application development, cross platform software, and in general most stuff to do with the web. C is easier to learn, but harder to deal with (if that makes any sense).

I tried learning C, but unfortunatly it was way to hard for me. I found it a bit complicated. Hek i couldnt even download a compiler and get it working:rolleyes:

Junixx
November 13th, 2006, 02:17
Heres a PAlib Wiki/tutorial site:

http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php?id=day1

If your interested in trying PAlib out, despite the rumours of it bricking your DS, I've never had a problem with running any PAlib games...

I haven't been working on anything because I've been really busy with school and my social life (:eek: )

quzar
November 13th, 2006, 02:48
I tried learning C, but unfortunatly it was way to hard for me. I found it a bit complicated. Hek i couldnt even download a compiler and get it working:rolleyes:

Like I said. Harder to deal with. It is however, much easier to learn.

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 02:57
Ok I think i understand. You say I should learn C

gunntims0103
November 13th, 2006, 03:47
Ok I think i understand. You say I should learn C

truthfully i say learn LUA first, I think if your gonna learn the C langauge you should pick up a beginners book because the tutorials are a bit "limited". That was my flaw when i was trying to learn C. Lua is very easy to learn and it will give you a basis on how coding works and give you a bit of a feel for coding, but if your gonna learn C first i wish you luck. Again its what ever you want to do

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 03:53
Do i need linux to use Lua

quzar
November 13th, 2006, 04:10
Generally I don't reccomend starting with a scriping language for a few reasons:

1) it's no a programming language.
2) it is difficult to move to a programming language from a scriping language.
3) to a point you learn things "the wrong way" and have to relearn later
4) most people who "learn it to learn coding" just stick with it because they become very familiar with it.

although there are some good reasons to learn a scriping language first:
1) easy to learn
2) easy to quickly get results with
3) teaches the basic concepts of program flow and logic statements.

When I first started programming seriously I had already had a lot of learning in the basics of programming such as logic statements and variables from an 80's high school computer class textbook I read when i was like...8 (and still have) as well as from learning to program on my calculator.

I reccomend starting with C. There are a handfull of good small games tutorials out there, as well as many many years worth of textbooks and "learn it yourself" books.

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 04:33
Ok Ill learn C, If i make a game in C then compile it with devkitpro will i be able to boot it on a ds without any other software? I mean will i be able to just select it from my m3s menu and have it run?

quzar
November 13th, 2006, 04:34
I would suggest asking on a DS programming board.

gunntims0103
November 13th, 2006, 04:41
Generally I don't reccomend starting with a scriping language for a few reasons:

1) it's no a programming language.
2) it is difficult to move to a programming language from a scriping language.
3) to a point you learn things "the wrong way" and have to relearn later
4) most people who "learn it to learn coding" just stick with it because they become very familiar with it.

although there are some good reasons to learn a scriping language first:
1) easy to learn
2) easy to quickly get results with
3) teaches the basic concepts of program flow and logic statements.

When I first started programming seriously I had already had a lot of learning in the basics of programming such as logic statements and variables from an 80's high school computer class textbook I read when i was like...8 (and still have) as well as from learning to program on my calculator.

I reccomend starting with C. There are a handfull of good small games tutorials out there, as well as many many years worth of textbooks and "learn it yourself" books.

your absolutely right quzar. LUA is not a programming language the only reason i learned it first is to understand concept of program flow and logic statements. I still have problems though. I read some where that to fully learn C you have to pick books up because again C is very limited with the tutorials that are on-line. Also when you code in C you have to know the platform your coding for. If your coding for the DS you have to know its limitations and strenths

After i have more projects out in LUA il be taking up C

Jeremysr
November 13th, 2006, 05:30
Ok Ill learn C, If i make a game in C then compile it with devkitpro will i be able to boot it on a ds without any other software? I mean will i be able to just select it from my m3s menu and have it run?

Yes, once it's compiled to a .nds you just run like most other homebrew.

gunntims0103
November 13th, 2006, 05:36
abeisgreat i want to show you what you'll be dealing with. Below is a short program called "hellow World" its i C and it what you'll be doing when coding in C. I just want you to take a look at what it looks like

using System;
// A "Hello World!" program in C#
namespace HelloWorld
{
class Hello
{
static void Main()
{
System.Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");
}
}
}
// A "Hello World!" program in C#
/* A "Hello World!" program in C#.
This program displays the string "Hello World!" on the screen. */
static void Main()
{
//...
}
static void Main(string[] args)
{
//...
}using System;
Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");

This is a "small program" and still looks a bit complicated. this is what you'll be compliling into a program

pretty hard

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 05:52
I know coding is hard I may be a kid but im not stupid! I already know Actionscript, C#, Phrogram, KPL,and some C++. I know what it takes to code. Thanks Jeremysr for answering. Thanks everyone for helping me out. :)

gunntims0103
November 13th, 2006, 05:55
I know coding is hard I may be a kid but im not stupid! I already know Actionscript, C#, Phrogram, KPL,and some C++. I know what it takes to code. Thanks Jeremysr for answering. Thanks everyone for helping me out. :)

well then good luck bro and i hope that you learn C and are able to create programs for the DS. even though i dont pertically like the DS as you can see from my avitar lmao:p

but good luck bro

abeisgreat
November 13th, 2006, 06:10
Thanks and as i said earlier its not nice to pee on video games. :)