PDA

View Full Version : Installing Another OS on PS3

wraggster
November 12th, 2006, 10:25
Sony have posted details on how to Install another Operating System on the PS3, heres the instructions:

1. Insert the disc or storage media that contains the installer in the system.

2. Select (System Settings) under (Settings) in the home menu.

3. Select [Install Other OS].
The system searches for the installer. When the installer is found, its content and location will be displayed.

4. Check the content of the installer, and then select [OK].
The installer starts. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.

More details Here (http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/osinstall.html)

Anyone tried installing anything yet, post your details via Comments

Accordion
November 12th, 2006, 16:48
this means the PS3 can dual boot...

we need a list of compatible OS [s]

imagine MAC OS X on a PS3...

spahar
November 12th, 2006, 19:16
This is good news. But a lot of thinks have to be cleared. For example I have these questions:

1) Can someone install any OS, that can be installed on a PC? Or the OS must be specific for the PS3? I think it is going to be the second, since Terrasoft is releasing a new version of YDL, with PS3 support.
2) Will the OS be able to take full advantage of the Cell power?? I hope it is.

Can I ask something. If Linux could take full advantage of the Cell, then we could easily see emulators and media players playing at PS3 through Linux, right???

tsaikimon
November 13th, 2006, 07:55
from what's been released via QJ it can support any OS that supports the Power PC CPU which is almost any major linux distro and obviously the mac OS's. However I think that means the entire OS will be running off the cell's single dual threaded PPC CPU and not the 7SPE's. A dual threaded 3.2 Ghz CPU is no slouch though.

lmtlmt
November 13th, 2006, 09:24
so we will have lua in ps3 probably!

Cloudhunter
November 13th, 2006, 09:38
from what's been released via QJ it can support any OS that supports the Power PC CPU which is almost any major linux distro and obviously the mac OS's. However I think that means the entire OS will be running off the cell's single dual threaded PPC CPU and not the 7SPE's. A dual threaded 3.2 Ghz CPU is no slouch though.

I believe that in time though, all the processors will be supported :) Or at least a way found to use them.

Cloudy