PDA

View Full Version : Izumi Kawanishi Reveals new PS3 Details

wraggster
November 12th, 2006, 19:26
Sony's Izumi Kawanishi has revealed new details on the PS3, here they are:

- Using XMB and web browsing won't need the fan. Playing Blu-ray will spin the fan, but the load is still low. The fan spins steadily while gaming.

- The picture/audio quality for video playback is excellent. Though Cell does not presently do much post processing, they are researching it.

- High Definition videos are converted to LPCM and outputted via HDMI.

- No DVD upscaling for the time being. But they are looking at user needs and have a plan for the support.

- The Blu-ray player's response is fast. The interviewer says he believes that the PlayStation 3 is the fastest among Toshiba, Sony, Matsushita HD players/recorders he tested.

- By pressing the triangle button the XMB shows the folder tree structure just like windows explorer.

- It can connect with USB mass-storage devices such as PSP, but not with ones with special transfer methods such as iPod and Walkman. They are currently working on Walkman support.

- They decided not to reveal the RSX clock speed.

- The EE+GS embedded in the PS3 does emulation for PS1/PS2 for initial shipments PS3, so no graphics upgrade for the time being. The software emulation technology is almost complete but not ready for the launch. As soon as it is ready, the EE+GS unit will be removed.

- In Remote Play with PSP for the 60GB version, the PS3 resolution becomes 480p (16:9) and converts the screen to MPEG-4 Simple Profile at around 1Mbps to send it to the PSP. All control is transferred to the PSP and you can control the PS3 by pressing the PSP buttons. BD/DVD and other copyright-protected materials can't be sent. As for games the support will come in the near future.

- Downloaded PS1 games are transferred from a PS3 to a PSP via USB cable. PLAYSTATION TV (the demo kiosk) starts the download service too.

- The web browser can open up to six pages simultaneously max. 64MB memory is always reserved for XMB functions (I.E. instant messaging, voice chat, etc.)

- Installing Linux creates a new HDD partition separately from the PS3 partition. After the setup, you can choose which system to use at the boot menu. You can choose to auto-boot Linux too.

- Aside from Linux, SCE's developers are still seeking the way to publish proper software development environment for the PS3 main OS and PSP for general users. But right now the PS3 main OS can run only signed applications (while PS3 Linux can run whatever applications on it).

Adrenalin
November 13th, 2006, 11:48
some interesting things...
can'tt be stuffed listing them all.

"They decided not to reveal the RSX clock sp" lol, does that mean its sucky?

F9zDark
November 13th, 2006, 17:14
- The EE+GS embedded in the PS3 does emulation for PS1/PS2 for initial shipments PS3, so no graphics upgrade for the time being. The software emulation technology is almost complete but not ready for the launch. As soon as it is ready, the EE+GS unit will be removed.

I am not liking that much at all. Basically launch units will have a handicap in terms of backwards compat that other units wont have. I hope a firmware update will at least allow us to make use of the software features, perhaps by ignoring the EE+GS.

- Aside from Linux, SCE's developers are still seeking the way to publish proper software development environment for the PS3 main OS and PSP for general users. But right now the PS3 main OS can run only signed applications (while PS3 Linux can run whatever applications on it).

Does this mean that Sony will give us our most coveted homebrew on the PSP?!?

Sure sounds like it.

F9zDark
November 13th, 2006, 22:47

Am I really the only one who noticed this? I know double posting is a no-no here but someone else must have seen this. Wragg, why not put that up on the news page man? That point is reaking of Sony officially allowing homebrew on the PSP and I think many other people would want to read about it.

mnuhaily22
November 14th, 2006, 10:38
I'm so excited for this release.