PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Racer : PS3 vs. XBox 360

Darksaviour69
November 13th, 2006, 14:12
An early side by side comparison of Ridge Racer 7 for the ps3 and Ridge Racer 6 for the xbox 360 in a Spanish blog. Ridge Racer 7 is a launch title for the PS3, running at 1080p while Ridge Racer 6 was released on the Xbox 360 nearly a year ago (a Launch game), running at 720p ... which do you think looks better?

see all the pics here (http://dreamgamers.blogcindario.com/2006/11/00018-rr-6-xbox-360-versus-rr-7-ps3.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/fotospameri/69622xh1-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/fotospameri/696924hu6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/fotospameri/69692vk0.jpg

Xbox360
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/815/rr6360201gp1.jpg

PS3
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/24/rr7ps3949db5.jpg

Cloudhunter
November 13th, 2006, 14:55
You've got to look though... What would be more realistic? Large contrasting colours and the massively foamy seas, or not much contrast? Because in life, there is varying levels of contrast...

I think the PS3 is more realistic, but the Xbox360 has more detail. Although some of the details that are missing rather confuse me...

Cloudy

November 13th, 2006, 15:02
This is a ridiculous way to compare. Not that there should be any comparison considering the PS3 is still only on launch titles.

Cap'n 1time
November 13th, 2006, 16:28
The ps3 is a very capable machine. I have no doubt this is due to it being a first generation ps3 game.

Darksaviour69
November 13th, 2006, 16:38
ridge racer 6 was a launch title for the 360 (well nearly). Also general developers tools have got better since the development of RR6, considering the team would have now more experience with a more powerful machine like the 360 and ps3.

But having said that its, very early days and only one game, an early battle in a long war..

F9zDark
November 13th, 2006, 17:09
This is a ridiculous way to compare. Not that there should be any comparison considering the PS3 is still only on launch titles.

But they are comparing launch titles, so where is the problem in the comparison? Fact is, there is no problem with the comparison...

irongiant
November 13th, 2006, 17:32
PS3 version looks quite a lot better.

bazboo007
November 13th, 2006, 17:40
actually think the x360 is better,has better lighting and more detail, see how the water looks compared to the ps3 version and also the paint on the roads is clearer and more realistic,but in the end its down th each persons own views.

F9zDark
November 13th, 2006, 18:07
The PS3 version has much smoother edges, but the colors are less dramatic and more washed out. The road lines shows this, being a vibrant white on the Xbox version and a pale gray on the PS3 version.

I think the Xbox version got the colors more accurate, but the PS3 certainly looks alot better in terms of edges.

November 13th, 2006, 19:14
But they are comparing launch titles, so where is the problem in the comparison? Fact is, there is no problem with the comparison...

Because they're taking the pictures with a CAMERA, theres going to be plenty of colour and image quality loss. If you want a proper comparison, you take a screenshot of both and save the image in a lossless format.

chemoballer22
November 13th, 2006, 22:42
I may be mistaken, but isn't this comparison unfair due to the fact that computer monitors can't display images at a high enough resolution to compare 1080p and 720p? I thought only the newest televisions could display 1080p...
I see the subtle changes as pointed out on the pics, but I don't think it is fair to say that the ps3 looks worse than the xbox 360.

F9zDark
November 13th, 2006, 22:45
Because they're taking the pictures with a CAMERA, theres going to be plenty of colour and image quality loss. If you want a proper comparison, you take a screenshot of both and save the image in a lossless format.

Suppose you have a point there, but unfortunately I doubt there is the option to take screenshots in-game, so either way we're at a loss.

gimpyjr
November 13th, 2006, 22:54
The PS3 version has much smoother edges, but the colors are less dramatic and more washed out. The road lines shows this, being a vibrant white on the Xbox version and a pale gray on the PS3 version.

I think the Xbox version got the colors more accurate, but the PS3 certainly looks alot better in terms of edges.

well of course the PS3 version has smoother edges. It's running in 1080p! If you ran the 360 in it's new 1080p mode it would probably look just as smooth. Also the PS3 doesn't have as much ram accessable to the GPU as the 360 does. (remeber the unified architecture of the 360 GPU). This makes for richer textures on the 360.

I personally think that the 360 will look better for the next few years because dev's are more experienced with it and it just has more memory for the GPU). The PS3 is going to shine when it comes to physics and framerate while the 360 will look better and have an equally impressive framerate.

I wouldn't buy a PS3 at lanch though! It only has 3 games in it's launch line up that haven't already been released for 360. Also all the good games aren't coming out until 2007. (motorstorm, heavenly sword, formula one, MGS4, etc..) I might buy one but it will be a while before I do.

kumquatskickass
November 14th, 2006, 00:14
Wow... 360 looks better. As far as the jaggies, yes there is some but not much. The details are much better on the 360 and there seems to be more going on in the back ground. Even though taken with a camera, you have to think both were taken that way. So, they both have the same limitations. I have stated this a few times, the PS3 is all about FP calcs, which is NOT that great graphic wise, but it should be amazing when it comes to AI, physic engines, aliasing, etc. Truth be known, it will take a few years to really see which is better. The battle wont really heat up for at least another 3 years, so patience.

KainZ7
November 14th, 2006, 08:15
xbox360 looks like a game, ps3 looks real

lmtlmt
November 14th, 2006, 08:26
the water in the "ps3 one" cough cough is non existant, the water looked beter in vice city for crying out loud. and in the top picture the ps3 looks way better if you really think about it, the x360 one is too dark and blue

Darksaviour69
November 14th, 2006, 09:35
lmtlmt, they are clearly 2 different version. you can dull and bright things in photoshop but you can add and remove detail like these shots. take a closer look

lmtlmt
November 14th, 2006, 09:51
i did and they are different, but if u really think about it the x360 one os too dark and blue.and btw you said
but you can add and remove detail like these shots. take a closer look
if your trying to prove apoint i think you ment cant

Darksaviour69
November 14th, 2006, 10:12
its a bad picture of the 360 version, its not a screen shot, its a photo.

also you said that both photos are from the xbox 360 version, which is clearly not true.

yeah I meant can't.

lmtlmt
November 14th, 2006, 10:25
dont you eman its a bad shot of both of them?, and how did somebody get to the exact same part of the track, and th cars in the background to be in the exact same place?

Darksaviour69
November 14th, 2006, 11:50
well the 360 looks worse, (darker).

As for the exact same part of the track, if you look at both pics they are not the exact the same part of the track, the angel is slightly different. Also i pretty sure that the bridge screen shot is from the intro to a race, so it would be the same ever time.

if you look at the pics, you will see that there is a boat in the 360 version that is not in the ps3 version and also there is a completey different boat in the ps3 version that just right behind the bridge.

there are also other small difference, is clearly a different version.

I think both versions look good (for both early titles) and after looking at them both for a while i have come to the conclusion that they are both pretty much on par with each other.

So what is the point? the point (for me) is that sony BS hype that the PS3 is by far the most powerful console in the world, is proven not true from these shots. Still its early days and the PS3 may, in the end have far better looking games. But by going by actual evidence that we have now and not est numbers of which can be done, it looks like they are on the same power level

masterpaul
November 14th, 2006, 15:11
The xbox 360 verson is better.

People... face it... the Xbox 360 has better textures then the PS3.

porchemasi
November 14th, 2006, 20:10
I think it is an honest tie, 360s background looks better, but the ps3 lighting and edges look very realistic

SnesR0X
November 15th, 2006, 00:15
debatable anyway:p

lmtlmt
November 15th, 2006, 05:46
i have no doubt that by the end of 07 ps3 will be better than that.

lmtlmt
November 15th, 2006, 06:06
which looks better out of these 2?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2708/x360vsps3hh4.png

i think it is obvious

Darksaviour69
November 15th, 2006, 09:36
not really, if you take into account the darkness because of the poor picture shot. Also namco have had a full extra year to learn/ cope with next gen development since RR6, though on different hardware.

We could go on all day, but what this proves to me, (at this stage) the gap between the 360 and ps3 is not as big as the gap between the ps2 and xbox. the ps2 was far more powerfull, but the ps2 still out sold it 5 fold..... i say for this gen.... game on!

lmtlmt
November 15th, 2006, 10:28
they must have both been taken with the same camera as they are on the same tv. i think the person taking these would have wanted to get the best shot from both, man owning a ps3 and 360 talk about rich.