PDA

View Full Version : Please Homebrew Devs Unite!

porchemasi
November 14th, 2006, 05:05
:p Hey guys I have recieved word that PS3 supports Linux OS as a alternate OS which is booted from the PS3 menu!

THIS ALLOWS MOZZILLA AND ANY OTHER LINUX APP!

PLEASE HOMEBREWERS START YOuR DEVELOPMENT ON LINUX BASED EMULATOR PORTS! :O In time PS3 will be a N64. GBA, GBC, GB, SEGA, ect! :p

Xiro
November 14th, 2006, 20:19
I think that homebrew devs running Linux will only have access to a dual core 3.2 GHz processor, which is nothing to scoff at, but i doubt we can get last gen emulation.

If psp can emulate n64 and ps1 with only a 333 MHz processor, i would say within a year we have a dreamcast emulator. Also, i dont even know if anything has to be coded from the ground up, as it runs linux. I dont know if there is a project 64 for linux, but if there is it should run on launch day...

Zion
November 14th, 2006, 20:24
Nope, there isnt a project64 for linux im afraid.

There is a n64 emu for linux called mupen 64 tho.

And 2 psx emus - pcsx & epsxe :D

mavsman4457
November 19th, 2006, 16:53
I bet in the long run we'll have dreamcast, xbox, and gamecube. As soon as the PS3 shortages go away and people can just pick one up anytime they want.

porchemasi
November 22nd, 2006, 19:09
On Zophars emulation domain they have a whole seciton of Linux emulators rangin from sega gens to partial n64 when i get my ps3 friday ill be sure to try them out on my ps3 running LinuxOS (1st gotta learn how to use Linux, im a noob, never tried Linux)

Zion
November 22nd, 2006, 19:58
its not straightforward using linux :p

also its not partial n64, mupen64 is a fully fledged n64 emu for the windows and linux

zodttd
November 24th, 2006, 03:32
I wouldn't bet on seeing an XBox, Gamecube, or even Dreamcast emulator on the PS3. Not many will want to step up and try to write an emulator for these systems from what documentation is out for this systems. The best chance would be Chankast, but I pretty much know it won't be open sourced. Maybe the authors of Chankast will come back with their DC emu project, but then again who knows if they'd even be able to get a PS3 where they are. :(

Question though: If Linux can be run on the PS3, how are people able to cross compile the source's for these Linux programs for the PS3 architecture? As you know, you can't take a PC X86 application and run it on the PS3, whether running Linux or not. - What's the status of homebrew on the PS3? Some people are saying it's already happening.
- Where are the development tools (toolchain)?

SynMox
November 25th, 2006, 23:20
The toolchain isn't released; however, YDL plans on releasing the Cell SDK. As for homebrew on the PS3, they're only PPC emulators and lacks the graphic accelerator.

NoQuarter
November 26th, 2006, 00:43
There are patches released by the sony+IBM+toshiba team for the linux kernel and gcc.They had to release the sources 'cause of the GPL :P
I think the graphics and game performance of linux is about to step up a notch,might take a few months though.We gotta wait for a higher adoption rate on the ps3.
Two words:
3d Desktop :D

SynMox
November 26th, 2006, 10:15
There are patches released by the sony+IBM+toshiba team for the linux kernel and gcc.They had to release the sources 'cause of the GPL :P
I think the graphics and game performance of linux is about to step up a notch,might take a few months though.We gotta wait for a higher adoption rate on the ps3.
Two words:
3d Desktop :D

Well, even though the GPU is connected directly to CBE no guest OS's have access to the GPU and right now the X server uses virtual frame buffer to render it's image, so no hardware acceleration. :(