PDA

View Full Version : Metareview - Yoshi's Island DS

wraggster
November 14th, 2006, 21:38
The original Yoshi's Island has attained G.O.A.T. status. True, not everyone agrees that it's the single-greatest 2D platformer ever, but SNES's Yoshi's Island certainly ranks among the best. Now, more than a decade later, Nintendo has finally published a true sequel (we don't count N64's Yoshi's Story). But with Artoon (responsible for GBA's ill-received Yoshi Topsy Turvy) sharing development duties, there's been some doubt about Yoshi's Island DS's ability to escape the shadow of its heralded predecessor.

GameSpot (91/100) - "It's hard to top a masterpiece, but that's just what Nintendo and Artoon have done with Yoshi's Island DS."

IGN (80/100) - "Perhaps the designers stuck too close to the established design in this new game, since it really ruins a lot of the surprises if you've already played through the original ... [Yoshi's Island DS] runs into the problem of not doing enough to make it its own game."

EGM (68/100) - "I'd never choose this over the sublime original."
Current overall average: 83/100 (6 reviews)

Via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/14/metareview-yoshis-island-ds/)

Tomobobo
November 15th, 2006, 15:10
I think it rocks hard. Definitly a worthy sequel. I guess the review that didn't like it didn't play it through, or is too closed minded to see that it takes what the orriginal did, and expands on it 10-fold.