PDA

View Full Version : New survey reveals exciting TV possibilities

wraggster
November 15th, 2006, 23:33
Via PSPfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/11/15/new-survey-reveals-exciting-tv-possibilities/)

Sony has been sending out some really interesting surveys lately. First, they asked which features could be removed from the PSP (hopefully, users said none). Now, they're asking users if they're interested in mobile television for the PSP. They give users two options: streaming using LocationFree player, or by subscribing to a mobile TV service for $10 a month. Personally, the latter seems much more enticing.

Considering how Japan has an official PSP media download service called PTV, it makes sense for Sony to expand that to other markets as well. What do you think: should Sony offer portable TV for you? And would you subscribe at that price?

shrimpidy
November 15th, 2006, 23:37
Y can't Sony just allow both? It would be cool if they put location free capabilities on the PS3 but that's far too late.

mavsman4457
November 15th, 2006, 23:37
I would not subscribe to that. I just hate monthly fees. I would prefer LocationFree over that and I'm pretty sure that PS3 will take care of all of my needs anyways so hopefully I won't have to worry about this.

Y can't Sony just allow both? It would be cool if they put location free capabilities on the PS3 but that's far too late.

It's not too late at all. PS3, like the PSP, has different firmwares, which I anticipate will be good since PS3 is completely open to developers, thus they can implement LocationFree into a later firmware.

Emeriastone
November 15th, 2006, 23:47
If it's "Always available cellular technology" then hell yeah I'd completely do that for 10 a month as long as the picture and sound quality are superb.

But not if it meant I was required to update :).

irishwhip
November 16th, 2006, 00:09
i'd like an old school tv tuner, like the old game gear one. but i'm weird like that

the_eternal_dark
November 16th, 2006, 00:45
i'd like an old school tv tuner, like the old game gear one. but i'm weird like that

I am too, but hey it worked, didn't it? It wasn't that expensive if I can remember as well.

Veskgar
November 16th, 2006, 00:48
Nobody needs more monthly subscription bills.

Edshugeo
November 16th, 2006, 05:04
I'd certainly be tempted by the $10 monthly subscription, depending on what channels were offered (I wouldn't need much - a 24 hour news network, and then some junk), and most importantly, whether or not the firmware being used was already cracked.

benn
November 16th, 2006, 08:14
Via PSPfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/11/15/new-survey-reveals-exciting-tv-possibilities/)
They give users two options: streaming using LocationFree player, or by subscribing to a mobile TV service for $10 a month. Personally, the latter seems much more enticing.

surely you mean the former? why pay $10 a month?:confused:

blackrave
November 16th, 2006, 08:42
surely you mean the former? why pay $10 a month?:confused:

The former uses a WiFi connection to stream TV from your own home, which isn't always available and won't work "on the run". The latter uses a network, like WAP and GPRS on the phone, to stream from there, but would cost $10/month.

So I would prefer the latter one, but only if it would offer me good channels (which I'm sure it would).

benn
November 16th, 2006, 09:21
you gotta be kidding yourself if you think you could get that service to your PSP for only $10 a month.

first you need to consider the hardware issues, so they would probably charge you $100 for a bit of kit.

then you have to think what tv shows will be available.
location free gives you much more control - and because i live in a major city i can always find a wireless connection :)

Anger
November 16th, 2006, 12:09
give yet more money to sony? no chance.
i have homebrew sony, i dont need a lousy subscription service or a damn expensive hw solution.
option 3 for me - homebrew.

eLAy12
November 16th, 2006, 17:14
There would be a hardware upgrade for this to work, and if it does does this mean psp phone? It would make sense to make a phone because of the signal issues.