PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade the firmware?

Isyou
November 16th, 2006, 09:25
Please forgive me because I am new to these forums and the PSP. My girlfriend got me one for Christmas last year and I never really did anything with it. I recently bought that game Field Commander because I am a big strategy fan and it is forcing me to upgrade to 2.60. My version is 2.00 now and my friend said something about not upgrading because it is impossible to downgrade if I went any further. So now I am at the proverbial fork in the road. Should I enjoy this delightful game or keep at 2.00 just for emulators and stuff. Also, in the future, won't I have to upgrade the firmware for any new game I might play anyway?

~Thanks in advance

Cloudhunter
November 16th, 2006, 10:14
Not only should you not upgrade, you should also downgrade. Downgrading allows you to run something called Devhook which allows you to run games up to 2.71 and higher firmware, without upgrading from 1.5, while still retaining homebrew use :)

If you don't have GTA:LCS, then your best bet is to upgrade to 2.71 to downgrade to 1.5

Cloudy

mnuhaily22
November 16th, 2006, 12:21
Don't listen to him, since you are sorry to say, but a n00b, so Your best bet is to use the 2.0 downgrader, it dosn't require GTA:LCS, all you need are guts to downgrade and risk bricking, then you have two choices, one use devhook like he said, or two UPDATE from 1.5(you will have 1.5 after you downgrade) to 2.71 SE-B, which allows you to play all games directly from the main menu(no need for devhook)and also it allows you to load all the emulators and stuff straight also from the main menu.

Cloudhunter
November 16th, 2006, 14:42
Don't listen to him

Excuse me, but a little too stern don't you think? A simple "You could also" or "I recommend doing..." would have sufficed.

I only recommended the 2.71 downgrader because there are "noob friendly" installs out there which require no knowledge whatsoever.

Cloudy

S34MU5
November 16th, 2006, 16:02
‹(•¿•)›
I recomend the 2.71 downgrader. Update to 2.71 then downgrade.

@mnuhaily22
he is a n00b i dont think 2.71ShiteEdition would be sutiable

Cloudhunter
November 16th, 2006, 16:41
Well, when it is set up properly 2.71SE-B" is very suitable, but its just the initial setup, as most people don't know that using SE you can run homebrew in GAME instead of GAME150.

Cloudy

jonezybaby
November 16th, 2006, 16:47
2.71 SE Is Easy 2 Install and use. On PSPHACKS.com There Are Installers On The And Once On 2.71 SE Its Easy 2 USE, And If U Dont Like It Then U Can Use The Recovery Thing 2 Get Bck 2 1.5.

Cloudhunter
November 16th, 2006, 16:54
He means for running homebrew, the GAME150 thing and the recovery mode can be confusing for many.

Cloudy

Isyou
November 16th, 2006, 19:59
I have to admit I am extremely nervous about hacking my psp. My friend who is a computer science major and is all hoity toity about how he knows so much about everything recently tried to mod my xbox and ended up blowing it up. PSPs are pretty freaking expensive and I don't know if all this is worth the risk because I am not really technically inclined on the whole hacking angle. I guess I am nervous about the whole thing but at the same time I don't want to upgrade if it makes it impossible for me to ever downgrade. I ALSO REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

splodger15
November 16th, 2006, 20:21
once you do your first downgrade you get confidence