PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo wanted Wii to cost under $100, says Miyamoto

wraggster
November 16th, 2006, 17:24
Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that Nintendo initially intended its next-gen console to go on sale for under US $100 - but certain features pushed up the price.

Speaking in an interview with Business Week Miyamoto said, "Originally, I wanted a machine that would cost $100. My idea was to spend nothing on the console technology so all the money could be spent on improving the interface and software.

"If we hadn't used NAND flash memory and other pricey parts, we might have succeeded," he added.

At first Nintendo "didn't think it was possible to build a powerful machine for less than 50,000 Yen" (330 Euro), and there were concerns about power consumption, cooling systems and boot-up time.

In the end, "We had to compromise on graphics and give up on a powerful chip," Miyamoto conceded.

"Many of our employees initially wanted high-definition graphics. But they agreed with us that graphics wouldn't matter if the games weren't fun to play." However, Miyamoto observed, the Wii is "much faster" than the GameCube.

He explained that much of the thinking behind the Wii came from trying to imagine what would convince mothers to buy a console for their kids - "We talked about basic concepts and goals, not about the technical specifications of the console.

"Our goal was to come up with a machine that moms would want - easy to use, quick to start up, not a huge energy drain, and quiet while it was running," Miyamoto said.

steve-b
November 16th, 2006, 18:04
I think that last quote says it all. If Nintendo meant it or not, they have created a system that everyone and their mother/grandmother would think looks fun.

This has the effect of making mothers buy it for their kids, but also people who would never ever think of picking up a console.

A winning strategy in my opinion. The graphics comprimise is negligable when you consider the target audience is not clued up on the latest and greatest HD graphics.

SnesR0X
November 16th, 2006, 20:52
just because they aimed it for that doesn't mean that hardcore gamers won't like it too though;)

JKKDARK
November 16th, 2006, 20:52
oh I wish. It means that I can get it soon.

I heart Nintendo
November 17th, 2006, 00:50
I still wish Nintendo had upped the graphical capabilities of the console, but still - the Wii looks great and I can't wait to play it!

ROLL ON DECEMBER 8!!!

*Has wild convulsions on the floor*

Video_freak
November 17th, 2006, 01:56
I must admit that the Wii rocks, but no HD is a bit of a disappointment...

BlueCrab
November 17th, 2006, 04:42
I honestly could care less about HD. I don't own a HDTV, and I have no plans to buy one any time soon.

ICE
November 17th, 2006, 04:48
yep, i love Nintendo. Wii is roughly twice the strength of the gamecube which was good enough for me before so twice that is good enough for me now :D

SnesR0X
November 17th, 2006, 06:37
I honestly could care less about HD. I don't own a HDTV, and I have no plans to buy one any time soon.

well, lots of gamers do/will so yeha

Cap'n 1time
November 17th, 2006, 07:03
well, lots of gamers do/will so yeha

not us poor people/college students.

SnesR0X
November 17th, 2006, 07:13
not us poor people/college students.

yeah im boned next year for that:( at least good tvs will go down in prices for when i start college...