PDA

View Full Version : Tempers flare in NYC as PS3 nears

wraggster
November 16th, 2006, 22:11
In recent times, New York City has rid itself of the stigma of being a grumpy city. While in office, then-mayor Rudy Giuliani "cleaned up" much of the city, and tragic events, including the World Trade Center bombings, have helped the metropolis' citizens bond.

Now it appears as though one thing may rip them apart--the PlayStation 3.

In stark contrast to the jovial atmosphere of last night, emotions of those waiting in line today to purchase PlayStation 3s are reaching fever pitch. Gamers who were on the cusp of getting a PS3 last night have now been edged out by line-cutters looking to take advantage of the situation.

Outside the SonyStyle Store in Midtown Manhattan, several gamers voiced their disgust at the way the line was being managed, complaining of seeing their place in line move further back because of line jumpers.

At the Circuit City in Union Square, several gamers told GameSpot that people have been cutting the line since mid-week, with the most coming in the last hours.

"There's no management of the line here," said one hopeful PS3 owner. "People are just jumping the line, there were even fights last night. It's totally messed up."

Employees of Circuit City told GameSpot that the store will have 100 PS3s for sale, but will also raffle off an additional 100 consoles beginning at 10 p.m. with the support of a New York City radio station.

Local news stations are also covering the escalating tension, reporting that some gamers have moved about 100 feet backwards since they first got in line.

The weather doesn't look to help matters, either. An overcast morning turned into a blustery afternoon with winds picking up--the leading edge of an incoming thunderstorm. Rain and winds up to 35 miles per hour are expected straight through the console's midnight launch.

dmac
November 17th, 2006, 01:45
Ahhhhhh!!! I thought it would be easy to get a PS3 at my hometown wal-mart because we are a small population of maybe 2000 people. They are only getting 2 PS3's and there is already 2 persons in the lineup. What am I going to do? Hopefully I will not have to wait too long. Deeply depressed, and I took a vacation day tomorrow for the launch.

the_eternal_dark
November 17th, 2006, 02:45
Ahhhhhh!!! I thought it would be easy to get a PS3 at my hometown wal-mart because we are a small population of maybe 2000 people. They are only getting 2 PS3's and there is already 2 persons in the lineup. What am I going to do? Hopefully I will not have to wait too long. Deeply depressed, and I took a vacation day tomorrow for the launch.

Start blasting away at some fools! JK, why not wait until the second wave comes and maybe the assholes that bought theirs to put on ebay won't make it in this time around?

BrooksyX
November 17th, 2006, 02:58
Xbox 360 and Wii will own this christmas. I think that the PS3 will never even have a chance at owning the market unless they can get another shipment out before christmas which is very doubtfull.

I remember that this is what happend when the ps2 came out. In the end every on who got one on launch was basically screwed because most of them broke.

the_eternal_dark
November 17th, 2006, 03:37
Xbox 360 and Wii will own this christmas. I think that the PS3 will never even have a chance at owning the market unless they can get another shipment out before christmas which is very doubtfull.

I remember that this is what happend when the ps2 came out. In the end every on who got one on launch was basically screwed because most of them broke.

Yep, I got one. So far I've replaced the lens twice and the drive motors a few times. Sold it though as soon as the slims came out (which also had laser problems).