PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Fire: Trouble in Super Macho World?

wraggster
November 16th, 2006, 22:15
One of the core ideas behind serious games is using digital entertainment to convey ideas and values. In the following article, I take a look at how Nintendo portrays its most famous female character in the recently released portable title, Super Princess Peach.

In Mario’s universe, Princess Peach - formerly known as Princess Toadstool in Western countries until 1996 - has always played the damsel in distress role. Until now, all she did was wait until Mario showed up and rescued her. Arguably, that is not a very active role but, to be fair to Nintendo, that is pretty much what princesses do in traditional fairy tales. In 2005, Nintendo launched Super Princess Peach, a Nintendo DS game where, for the first time, Peach was the protagonist. Rather than been rescued, it was now her turn to rescue Mario and Luigi who were being held prisoners by the evil Bowser.

I first heard of the game through Ian Bogost, who was shocked at what he called “Nintendo’s most politically incorrect game ever.” The reason behind this claim was that Peach’s superpowers are not physical, such as what is commonly found with male characters in the Mario universe. Instead, Peach fights with an unconventional weapon: her emotions. That sounded too weird to be true, so I ran to the nearest store and bought myself a copy.

The player can use different kind of emotional attacks: rage, crying and happiness (along with a sort of neutral emotion called “Calm” which replenishes her energy bar). Each emotion is represented on the interface through a heart that can be activated on the console’s touchable screen. Many game critics noticed the sexism of portraying a female character in this particular way. Ryan Davis, argued on his GameSpot review of the game that it had “some weird sexist undercurrents in the game design”. Similarly, Bryn Williams wondered at GameSpy: “Is Nintendo trying to say that females are all ‘emo’?”

Full Article (http://seriousgamessource.com/features/feature_111506_peach_1.php)

Miria
November 16th, 2006, 22:40
Its just a game for fun and a new direction. Not everything has to old and "Like Always".. guy saves girl. girl kisses guy.. Enough of that.. the new generation is here.. the old one is dying

Junixx
November 16th, 2006, 22:48
I thought the game quite weird when it came out, but theres gotta be a twist once in a while

suds
November 16th, 2006, 22:57
super mario bros 2 for NES, she was one of the 4 selectable players.

Vegetable
November 17th, 2006, 06:35
A game with a princess that has super-emotional powers?

Yeah, not sexist at all.

SuperJMN
November 18th, 2006, 17:26
I've got the game, Super Princess Peach. A GREAT one.

I'm a big fan of Peach. 98% of time in Smash Bros. Melee I select her :)

I'm legitimate to talk about his role, I think:

The way they have focused the game, using emotions instead of more "violent" powerups is a bit critisable since the homologous Mario has used them from the beginnings (remember that unforgettable fire flower). The distinction between them makes me think that the poor Peach has to use softer weapons and abilities than a fully featured macho :P

I would like to see a Peach that is able to hit the table. But, think a bit here: Peach has just make her appearing in a platformer and the developers make the game to not confront against the classic one, like Marios. Even more with te New Super Mario Bros. launch right on the corner.

They liked to have a platformer that is oriented to people who like a more blended and subtle title. They wanted to demostrate that Peach is powerful, acrobatic and capable of performing those incredible jumps and stunts with her parasol, but also had to take in consideration the sweetness that Peach has.

The way to achieve it? Peach bypasses some situations using emotions. Odd? :) Well, I'm a fan and would like to see Mario crying the same way Peach did in this game to break that topic of Peach being a weak princess. So in my opinion, the basic ideas are:

- The emotions are a bit bad handled they are a basic feature. They associate Peach with feelings but not with other main characters like Mario, Luigi, Yoshi.
- As a fan of Peach, I would like to see her strong, independent, clever and stylish, but sweet, funny and elegant. This game make a great effort for showing her strongest side, but also her sensible side. Again, this has not been done for other characters. Why to do it with Peach?

I really like Super Princess Peach. A game that marked me, with my 25 years. Its music is especially memorable and the graphics and environment is too.

But in the next one, try to not make the emotions the main feature for her or make emotions also important for male characters ;)

(Yeah, Mario crying, uhh huuu!) :rofl: