PDA

View Full Version : DS81 v1.1a-- Nintendo DS ZX81 Emulator Updated

wraggster
November 16th, 2006, 23:04
Noddybox (http://www.noddybox.co.uk/nds.php?I=ds81) has posted a new release of his great ZX81 emulator for the Nintendo DS:

Well, that will teach me to try and squeeze out a release when busy at work (alright, with Splinter Cell). More importantly it will teach me not to use Sinclair BASIC to test my keyboard routines. Grab your slab of 8-bit monochrome loveliness (now with free working keyboard) from the DS81 page.

More Info

If you'd have told me 25 years ago that I'd be playing 3D Monster Maze on the bus on a device powered by batteries, I'd have said you were mad...

DS81 is a basic emulation of the Sinclair ZX81. It only supports text modes games (basically anything that uses the bog-standard ZX81 display file for the technically minded), so hi-res games will not work. This is being worked on.

It includes a few games to try out. Note that I did not write these games, or own the copyright to them. They are included in good faith (as far as I know the authors do not mind this work being distributed), and if any of them want their work removing I'll gladly oblige:

ZX81 ROM © 1981 Nine Tiles Networks Ltd
Mazogs © 1981 Don Priestley
City Patrol © 1982 Don Priestley
Sabotage © 1982 Don Priestley
3D Monster Maze © 1983 Malcom E. Evans

DS81 also supports the loading of external files from a FAT formatted device. To do this the internal FAT routines of libnds are used, so if you're device isn't supported then I'm afraid you're stuck with the built-in games. Don't worry, you're not alone -- I wrote the damn thing and can't use external files on my flash device!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Hogosha
November 17th, 2006, 23:22
I just downloaded this and tried it out. It works very well for me. Just wish I could read the keyboard and all the red text better. Need reading glasses soon I guess...

I used to own one of these way back when. Now I wish I didn't toss it out 6 years ago when I moved. Oh well.

Keep up the good work!