PDA

View Full Version : Turn Your PSP into a Genesis

wraggster
November 16th, 2006, 23:15
Via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/746/746417p1.html)

Forget next-gen console launches and fancy HD graphics, the big release this week is Sega Genesis Collection on PSP. Featuring more than 30 games, the $29.99 collection is a Genesis fan's dream. While the Sega Genesis Collection was released last week for PS2, the PSP version features several different games, including completely different unlockable Sega arcade games.

If you're looking at some long plane trips for the upcoming holidays, you may want to give Sega Genesis Collection a look. Phantasy Star IV will last your 80 hours on its own. Enjoy.

PSPegasus
November 16th, 2006, 23:43
I'll be interested to see how this goes, considering most people just use DGEN. I suppose it's probably good for people with firmware 2.82.

**1_Man_Matrix**
November 16th, 2006, 23:48
Just interested in a Sonic Collection, 1, 2, 3, S&K, Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, S&K+2, S&K+3.

Thanks DGen! :D

Road Rash & Altered Beast are also pretty kool.

emuking
November 16th, 2006, 23:56
this is pointles to buy if you can use dgen

Makaveli777
November 16th, 2006, 23:59
I play my genesis games on my nomad to play them portable. lmao

Shadowblind
November 17th, 2006, 00:09
80 hours? o_0

Of course I dont see why people dont just put those games on their PSP through DGEN. :)

inlovewithi
November 17th, 2006, 00:09
The Nomad is huge, it feels so comfortable in my hands. If only it had a screen like the PSP's. I would buy the collection just to play the games at full speed. Dgen definetely needs an update.

Makaveli777
November 17th, 2006, 00:22
I hope everybody knows I was being sarcastic about the nomad thing. It was the size of a ps2 and drained batteries just as bad as game gear. Although I loved my gamegear. I liked all the colors and the light screen. Support sega everybody buy their classics so they can make good future games.

Emeriastone
November 17th, 2006, 00:43
But but--dgen!

TacticalBread
November 17th, 2006, 00:47
This is simply another one of Sony's ways to try to get us to update. Although, I'm sure it will run on 2.71 SE fine since we've got 2.81 games running on it. :D

SSaxdude
November 17th, 2006, 00:55
Like everyone else is saying, DGEN is the way to go.

uneekracer
November 17th, 2006, 01:22
i will use dgen

Veskgar
November 17th, 2006, 01:50
Well, I'm kind of torn between. If we all keep saying that we won't buy this because of DGEN, that just helps SONY's argument that homebrew hurts the PSP.

SO I guess the thing to do would be to recommend this for people with PSP's incapable of homebrew and buy another game in place of this game if you are going to use DGEN instead.

Cap'n 1time
November 17th, 2006, 02:07
I would much rather purchase a game from a good and decent company like sega than use bootlegged roms. If a company makes good games, why not be decent enough to shell out $30 for a legal copy of the games and support the company? We usually let rom discussion of old systems go (its not hurting anyone usually) but in this case an emulator may damage the sales of a company this site fully supports. If and when the firmware for this game is hacked, I recommend each of you that use dgen to play these games at least purchase a copy of this.

Datahax
November 17th, 2006, 03:11
I would much rather purchase a game from a good and decent company like sega than use bootlegged roms. If a company makes good games, why not be decent enough to shell out $30 for a legal copy of the games and support the company? We usually let rom discussion of old systems go (its not hurting anyone usually) but in this case an emulator may damage the sales of a company this site fully supports. If and when the firmware for this game is hacked, I recommend each of you that use dgen to play these games at least purchase a copy of this.

Normally I'd agree with this, but I don't support Sega after they butchered the Shining Force series as of late.

But in any other case, yea definately.

mavsman4457
November 17th, 2006, 03:16
When I saw this thread I thought it was referring to a modded PSP that was meant to look like a Genesis.

punkypine
November 17th, 2006, 03:24
lol i like how you guys are all anti-isos but you are all pro emulators. like you own those games.

hey, technically someone can load an iso of a game they bought, the same way you cann emulate games you own. but, seriously, a few of you might own a few of these, but thats it.

jondoe696911
November 17th, 2006, 05:10
looks like if i update fo this i can lose the ability to play all the sega games but look i can play a whopping 30 of them 8)

ACID
November 17th, 2006, 05:17
Well thats why DGEN is available.

TacticalBread
November 17th, 2006, 05:31
lol i like how you guys are all anti-isos but you are all pro emulators. like you own those games.

hey, technically someone can load an iso of a game they bought, the same way you cann emulate games you own. but, seriously, a few of you might own a few of these, but thats it.

In fact, I'm sure I own all of these :p
I have a very large box full of Genesis games I've had since I was about 10. :D

punkypine
November 17th, 2006, 05:37
In fact, I'm sure I own all of these :p
I have a very large box full of Genesis games I've had since I was about 10. :D

if you are telling the truth, then sure, but arent you the same one who wrote that its a sony conspiracy when its a sega made game? lol

Cap'n 1time
November 17th, 2006, 06:33

WRONG! At least in the United States and im pretty sure the UK, unless these are YOUR rom dumps, that is to say that YOU ripped them you are still committing a crime regardless if you actually own the game.... how many times have i had to explain this now? Also illegally downloaded ISO's and roms are illegal, emulators are certainly not so i fail to see why its funny that we are a "pro emulation" website.

TacticalBread
November 17th, 2006, 06:45
if you are telling the truth, then sure, but arent you the same one who wrote that its a sony conspiracy when its a sega made game? lol

Well, Sony obviously had to have some part in this. Sega coudln't have said "We're going to make a PSP game whether Sony cares or not." Sony put the update in it, so therefore destroying any homebrew usage, because that's what Sony does.

SpooForBrains
November 17th, 2006, 11:48
I might get this purely because, while I have and love DGEN, trying to play Sonic on it sucks. The game scrolls so quickly that the shortcomings in the emulator become very apparent. Unless I haven't configured it optimally or something ...

I imagine the official version won't have these problems. Plus, I think releasing good quality good value* releases of retro games is something well worth supporting.

* well, if any PSP game can be classed as good value

C0R3F1GHT3R
November 17th, 2006, 12:09

Well said!

geise69
November 17th, 2006, 12:29
Getting back on topic what are the two sega arcade games they were talking about?

Baboon
November 17th, 2006, 12:45
Turn Your PSP into a Genesis?

Wow... What a great idea!

Hey $ony, here's another fantastic idea...wouldnt it be good if you could also run on your PSP: Snes, Amiga, Atari ST, Neo Geo MVS&AES, Capcom Play System 1&2, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo 64, Zx Spectrum, PC Engine, Lucas Arts point and click games, Doom, Quake, Mastersystem, gamegear, Intellivision etc. lol :)

psychadelicious
November 17th, 2006, 14:02
Hell to the yeah.

rmedtx
November 17th, 2006, 14:34
Do any of you guys know which firmware is required for the Sega Genesis Collection game?

Masch
November 17th, 2006, 14:51
i used Mega Drive 2

The_Ultimate_Eggman
November 17th, 2006, 15:16
Turn Your PSP into a Genesis?

Wow... What a great idea!

Hey $ony, here's another fantastic idea...wouldnt it be good if you could also run on your PSP: Snes, Amiga, Atari ST, Neo Geo MVS&AES, Capcom Play System 1&2, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo 64, Zx Spectrum, PC Engine, Lucas Arts point and click games, Doom, Quake, Mastersystem, gamegear, Intellivision etc. lol :)

Yeah like thats never been done ;).

Vega
November 17th, 2006, 16:59
Maybe we will see some cool little features included like artwork, remixed music options and game history included, like Capcom Collection. Still... I dont find it worth £30.
but still... we can't argue with quality..... actually we can.. dgen is near perfect..... eh.
but then again, This would have been an essential purchase for me if I never indulged in homebrew. I still hope the UMD sells well.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
November 17th, 2006, 17:31
Me neither we need a coder to do a SEGA SYS 16 (and X board) emu then we can shinobi afterburner ect on the go that would be fkin awsome !!!.

ICE
November 17th, 2006, 17:46
my psp has been a genesis for months now thanks to emu :D FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!