PDA

View Full Version : how do i port games?

dark heart
November 17th, 2006, 05:37
this could of been posted lots of times before but i'm too tired to look, allthough i did take a look through the stickies.

how's the easiest way to port half-life to psp?

i'm not doing anything elegal on that note, i just wanna play half-life on my psp :D

and also release the demo if that's alright.

chrono75
November 17th, 2006, 05:45
Man, that's a great idea! Half-Life ran on my Aptiva 133 megahertz/16MB ram+voodoo 3 card machine. Wow, that would be quite the release there if it was possible. Wifi would be great with it too! I loved (and still do from time to time) some good ol' TFC (the best online team shooter I have still ever played, until TFC 2 on Xbox360!)

kando
November 17th, 2006, 05:51
you need to find the source code for whatever u wanna port. you need to learn the native coding language in which it was coded in. you then need to learn how to control input/output w/ the psp, and change code in the source code to work w/ the psp. you may need to relocate memory and other things, such as caching information.

if you aren't fluent in C/C++ i wouldnt even bother trying to port games, i'd try to make a simple hello world app first :)

if ur really stubborn, look for the psp SDK :)

dark heart
November 18th, 2006, 00:03
yer yer, but i need to know how to get started like a walkthrough or something for porting. i'm not verry good at scripting, i'm more of a game design person.
but i would like to get this to work.

Cap'n 1time
November 18th, 2006, 01:14
yer yer, but i need to know how to get started like a walkthrough or something for porting. i'm not verry good at scripting, i'm more of a game design person.

... find a local community college and take some programming... It sounds just a little bit like you have no idea what your getting into. no offense.

gunntims0103
November 18th, 2006, 01:20

listen to the captain..... you really have no idea.... coding in c/c+ can be extreamly difficult if you have no prior knowledge of the programming language. Even if you succssfully create a "hellow world" program. Its not even near enough to know the full language. take courses or grab books. send 6 months reading and learning then begin

good luck

the_eternal_dark
November 18th, 2006, 04:20
Was the source released for Half-Life while I was sleeping or something?

BTW, I don't think you'd want to take this on as a first project and I can tell you why. Take a look at the QuakeII port. Then read the PSP's specs. Then look at Half-Life's requirements to run. If you get it to run at a respectible speed, it would take you working full time (70hrs/wk) on it for many months to finish anything near playable (I may be exaggerating about the time, but it will get to you)

The easiest way to try to get a port is to beg Valve to make one, because a homemade one is a long way away, even with the source.

dark heart
November 18th, 2006, 06:25
hey! how many of you accually make games? i do have a basic knowledge of scripting and i don't like being dissed for what i do. i would bet 5 bucks that some guy will make some sort of time saving converter, because i don't have to change the files themself, all i have to do is make the launcher run with psp, and i can spend less time accually scripting it then going through all of it and chucking seperate files onto an already created engine.

Cap'n 1time
November 18th, 2006, 07:38
hey! how many of you accually make games? i do have a basic knowledge of scripting and i don't like being dissed for what i do. i would bet 5 bucks that some guy will make some sort of time saving converter, because i don't have to change the files themself, all i have to do is make the launcher run with psp, and i can spend less time accually scripting it then going through all of it and chucking seperate files onto an already created engine.

....... yeeeeeash? :confused: . Dude, just play with lua.

yaustar
November 18th, 2006, 20:22
hey! how many of you accually make games?
I do. This is how you port a game:

Get the source code.
Look for all the platform specific code and rewrite it for the target platform.
Look at the issues surrounding it for running on the target platform.
Design a solution and implement it.

If you do not understand what this means then you are definitely not ready to port anything.

splodger15
November 18th, 2006, 20:26
^ ^
Good explanation

yaustar
November 18th, 2006, 23:01
Oh, I just read the first post properly. Half Life 1 has no source code that has been released publicly.

No source = no port.

dark heart
November 21st, 2006, 06:04
yaustar nah i'd rather make my own game, and for the record, i did understand that. iv'e been working on a new standalone half-life mod with that lte engine.

Avenyet
November 23rd, 2006, 23:00
wouldn't it just be easier to code a PC engine for the PSP by hand than trying to port a game like half life...

dark heart
November 24th, 2006, 04:55
yer i already said so, i'm gonna make my own mod for half-life, as a stand-alone