PDA

View Full Version : forum troubles

quzar
March 11th, 2005, 06:25
Wouldnt it have been more simpler to lower bandwidth use by simply destroying some of these very seldom used sites and forums that go with them? At least in so much as to help reduce redundancy over the emu64 network? Why have a UIQ, PS3, Xbox2 and Gizmondo forum when there are a total of 4 posts in each most of which asking what the thing is? on top of that why have all these non-DC emulation sites titled DCemu? isnt it quite nonsensical ontop of which most of them are seldom updated and lacking in substance other than being an identical mirror of a more specialized sites info and data?

I would think each of those would be better solutions to lower bandwidth than transferring the forums to a new style.

my 2c

Martin
March 11th, 2005, 06:32
First of all, if a forum isn't used, it's not using extra bandwith, right? Secondly, the issue has never been high bandwidth usage but high server load due to using YaBB, which is not suited at all for large forums, it's in fact horrible. The news post wraggster made was perhaps not very clear pointing out the actual problem.

However, I do agree with you that unused boards might as well be deleted, but not for the sake of saving bandwidth. :)

EDIT: Might as well test the attachments feature in this post.

Martin
March 11th, 2005, 06:48
Quick Reply enabled. Testing multiple attachments.

wraggster
March 11th, 2005, 06:52
at the end of the day, we like consolevision had to move off Yabb to save the forum, and luckily for us the move went ok, it will take time to sort things out but our forum was crippling the whole emu64 network, so it was either change to a less server hogging forum or worse case scenario lose the forum completely.

The success of the forums caused more problems than a little :P

Darksaviour69
March 11th, 2005, 10:48
hi wraggs, just wanted to point out that i can't see the staff forum but i can see the coders forum.... which worrys me as i think anyone can see it now!

edit: sorry my mistake, it was the DCGP2004 forum, its at the bottom so i thought it was the private coders forums

Mental2k
March 11th, 2005, 11:48
Now that you're using the DCEmu v2 colours and logo, does that mean v2 is coming soon?

Tehe i like being called a senior member.

Martin
March 11th, 2005, 12:30
People in custom usergroups from YaBB who have had access to restricted forums before, please contact wraggster via PM (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&u=2181) so he can move you to the appropriate group. There's been one person so far that's been imported to the Registered Users group instead of the group they should be in, the import script felt like pulling our leg. ;)

If you have had access to the staff or other restricted boards but don't anymore, like I said, send a PM to mr. DCEmu. :p

quzar
March 12th, 2005, 08:57
First of all, if a forum isn't used, it's not using extra bandwith, right? Secondly, the issue has never been high bandwidth usage but high server load due to using YaBB, which is not suited at all for large forums, it's in fact horrible. The news post wraggster made was perhaps not very clear pointing out the actual problem.

However, I do agree with you that unused boards might as well be deleted, but not for the sake of saving bandwidth. :)

EDIT: Might as well test the attachments feature in this post.

What i meant was that the forums are unused, but they still generate traffic because people go to them thinking there will be something there. So by unused, I meant they are essentially devoid of information, but generate traffic because it is implied that they have information in them by the related sites.

It really seems just like something that should be a last choice solution that was used as the first try. I do admit to being under-informed, but from an outsiders view this is what it seems like.

Martin
March 12th, 2005, 15:23
Like I said, since YaBB was causing the problems and not high traffic, the first choice solution was indeed to switch forum software. Again, I do agree with you on the many unused boards. :)

Mental2k
March 13th, 2005, 17:58
Plus the yaBB board messed up every couple of weeks anyway, and there were constant niggles too, like the "who's online" feature never working and so forth.