PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Islands heads to PSP

wraggster
November 17th, 2006, 16:07
Rising Star Games has announced that it's bringing Rainbow Islands to PSP.

It'll be the third of RSG's "Evolution" games (its DS remakes are all suffixed "Revolution"), following updates to Space Invaders and Bubble Bobble.

Apparently it's due out in Q1 2007, although the publisher isn't saying much about it other than it will "follow the Evolution philosophy of creating innovative, original extrapolations of classic game designs whilst harnessing the 3D power of the PSP".

RSG also says that it'll be announcing more of its packed 2007 schedule in the coming weeks, so watch out for more Taito related remakes, presumably, and perhaps some other stuff.

Via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70101)

Baboon
November 17th, 2006, 16:24
Rainbow Islands was/is a classic, but I really cant see how adding ‘3D’ is going to improve this all-time great game. The Amiga and arcade versions were spot on, and even though they’ve got cute characters the game is actually rock hard to play.

One old game that I do like like thats been ‘remixed’ is Capcoms new Ghouls N Ghosts, they kept it quite faithful to the original and it's a fun game to play. :)

I’ll wait and see and reserve judgement on this new version until I actually see the game running.

valar
November 17th, 2006, 16:29
if it's going to be like bubble bobble ,i pass. anyway robocop arcade rules, baboon.

Baboon
November 17th, 2006, 16:38
if it's going to be like bubble bobble ,i pass. anyway robocop arcade rules, baboon.

Bubble Bobble old and new was ok on the GBA, but to be honest why tinker with the originals perfection?

I've got an original Robocop arcade marquee hanging up on my wall in my attic room! :thumbup:

Vega
November 17th, 2006, 16:55
I used to love Rainbow Islands. Owned it on multiple consoles. I hope this one will be good and better than Bubble Bobble Evolution.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
November 17th, 2006, 17:47
yeah the arcades rule i spent my teenage years
pumping ££££££'s into them and they can no way be improved B*&tardised and made into 3d abortions .LEAVE THEM ALONE we need a good solid mame port on the psp to relive these babies.The megadrive version was close but nothing gives u the same glow as the arcades.

mr_nick666
November 18th, 2006, 08:54
yeah the arcades rule i spent my teenage years
pumping ££££££'s into them and they can no way be improved B*&tardised and made into 3d abortions .LEAVE THEM ALONE we need a good solid mame port on the psp to relive these babies.The megadrive version was close but nothing gives u the same glow as the arcades.

/\ /\ Totally agree :eek: Why do people think 3D makes things better? :confused: GAMEPLAY makes games better! :p The original was a classic (it was a great transition from Bubble Bobble to Rainbow Islands) and I too spent many a 10p trying to master it :rolleyes:

MikeDX
November 19th, 2006, 13:28
If the new rainbow islands on the DS is anything to go by, this is going to be total pants.. :(

Hungry Horace
November 19th, 2006, 16:14
agreed. for "new rainbow islands for PSP" read "another classic game sodomised" :eek:

doesnt matter anyway, the original plays a treat on the FAME/C version of PSPUAE... :cool:

MikeDX
November 19th, 2006, 22:59
Which makes me wonder if there is enough in NJ's 68k emu and z80 cores to run Rainbow Islands...