PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Linux Now Installable

wraggster
November 17th, 2006, 23:23
Around midnight Pacific time on the 17th, Sony updated their Open Platform website needed to install PPC Linux on the PS3. The FTP Site contains the CELL Linux ADDON CD image (ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/Sony-PS3/), which has the bootloader (kboot/otheros.bld) and instructions needed to install Fedora Core 5, PPC. A full install from DVD takes about two hours. Most all hardware is supported except for graphics accelerator support (framebuffer only, up to 1920x1200)

porchemasi
November 18th, 2006, 01:45
Around midnight Pacific time on the 17th, Sony updated their Open Platform website needed to install PPC Linux on the PS3. The FTP Site contains the CELL Linux ADDON CD image (ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/Sony-PS3/), which has the bootloader (kboot/otheros.bld) and instructions needed to install Fedora Core 5, PPC. A full install from DVD takes about two hours. Most all hardware is supported except for graphics accelerator support (framebuffer only, up to 1920x1200)

Does this mean once installed devs can make linux apps such as emulators?:confused:

ICE
November 18th, 2006, 02:02
thats what im wondering. i think linux can only do 2d emu's but whatever. snes would work right?

NoQuarter
November 18th, 2006, 02:04
I hope we can get the graphics acceleration goig soon,at least by the time I buy one.I really want the 3d desktop...
If you haven't seen this you need to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjII1Ld47zc

This is what I want to see on the PS3!

Cap'n 1time
November 18th, 2006, 03:06
thats what im wondering. i think linux can only do 2d emu's but whatever. snes would work right?

of course it can.

I knew it was too good to be true... redhat... bah. :mad: It's like microsoft with a penguin logo.

NoQuarter
November 18th, 2006, 03:17
Yeah I'm not a big fan of fedora core either,hopefully we'll see releases form most of the distro's optimized for the ps3.We need that 3d acceleration though.I guess it doesn't matter though cause any distro for the PPC should work right?

F9zDark
November 18th, 2006, 07:10
I have installed Fedora Core on my laptops on 3 different occasions and have never gotten anything to work properly. So I will be reluctant to install it on my PS3.