PDA

View Full Version : PS3: HDMI doesn't like you

wraggster
November 17th, 2006, 23:34
The PS3 troubles continue to roll in. First the (admittedly minor) backwards compatibility issues, then we find out the PS3 can't run 1080i, now a new issue has come to light: some folks are having a rough time getting HDMI to work right.

The guys over at The Man Room have unpacked their PS3 (sans-ceremony) and immediately plugged it up to their HDTV using HDMI cables. The result was less than optimal; they were greeted by flickering that required some resolution changes -- our guess is HDMI can't output 480p, though not a big deal since who wants to play on 480p anyway -- to get the dashboard working right. Just when they thought it stopped, popping in a Blu-ray movie resulted in the same thing, which they said would sometimes stop and sometimes continue (the guys never really gave a definitive answer on what they did to fix it).

The Man Room postulated that the PS3 has some HDMI handshaking issues and their apparent resolution is to keep rebooting until it works right. HDMI is supposed to be Sony's main firearm in its arsenal against the 360; some gamers are going to have to put in a lot of work on top of hard earned cash to get their PS3 running properly. We recommend just keeping at it and pray for a firmware update from Sony to keep it fixed.

Sterist
November 17th, 2006, 23:51
never know, might be a scam to force ya to update from the easiest firmware to crack.

speaking of which, now's the best time to warn against updates. keep em low

the_eternal_dark
November 18th, 2006, 01:29
http://www.smashmyps3.com

Or you could be like these guys. Its so cruel.

Napalm-Death
November 18th, 2006, 02:24
How the hell can people live with themselves after doing that?

kando
November 18th, 2006, 03:26
rofl thats great, smashmyps3....priceless!

quzar
November 18th, 2006, 04:24
as expected. hardware problems.

source?

F9zDark
November 18th, 2006, 07:08
Hopefully these issues will be resolved soon. But thats the main reason why I am waiting a bit to get a PS3 (money was a factor, but I could have been stupid and forgone my bills to buy one.)

DPyro
November 18th, 2006, 16:23
Your suppose to hook it up to composite or component cables first, and configure it to HDMI in the XMB...also you can hold the power button for 5 seconds and its suppose to auto adjust to your settings.

Elven6
November 18th, 2006, 18:18
Funny how Sony is admitting what the PS3 can't do a few hours before/after its out.

Napalm-Death
November 18th, 2006, 20:32
I've heard that this gives off a lot more power than a regular pc, thus increasing the electrical bill. Any info on this?

quzar
November 18th, 2006, 22:08
anything that requires power increases the electrical bill.

Napalm-Death
November 18th, 2006, 23:00
Sorry about that, I meant to say a "significant" increase on the bill.

Smurph
November 19th, 2006, 06:22
How the hell can people live with themselves after doing that?

Easy. They do it to piss off fanboys like you.

F9zDark
November 19th, 2006, 21:02
I saw Smash My Xbox360 and man was that hilarious.

Napalm-Death
November 21st, 2006, 12:49
Easy. They do it to piss off fanboys like you.
Thanks for calling me a fanboy, I wasn't trying to be one though..I meant smashing something that's so expensive and limited, not just the PS3.

briyan
November 21st, 2006, 15:21
firmware will fix it. made my philips DV5960 output Dolby 5.1 when it originally couldn't. who knows what firmware updates could do to a system..maybe make the PS3 capable of washing and drying too perhaps..?