PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Dark Alex

gunntims0103
November 18th, 2006, 14:57
Translation via dcjoedog (http://homebrewcast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=4549325a17400e566a58d582823bfa35)

Playstation Now Underground : Hello, Alex, first things first, a very big THANKS in the name of all the users in the Scene of PSP for the impressive work that you are doing.

Dark_Alex: Thanks

PSNU: Tell us something about yourself. Age, occupation, interests, etc.

DA: I am 23 years old, I am currently a student in technical engineering in computer science, and as for interests, computer science and cats.

PSNU: What made you interested in programming for the PSP?

DA: Not really sure, I've been programming for devices like it for a while. I remembered that I already programmed in java for mobile phones but that had too many problems, and also for pocket PC, so the following one, for me, was the PSP.

PSNU: In your opinion, what is the present state of the Scene and what is the direction that it must take?

DA: It's good, many interesting things have happened these last few months with the discovery of exploits in 2.5-2.71 and the dawn of custom firmware. I suppose that the direction the scene must take is to keep this momentum, to continue discovering exploits that allow to load unsigned code, to continue decrypting firmwares, etc.

PSNU: Is there something that you wish to do for the PSP but you see that it is not possible at the moment?

DA: I would have liked to do custom firmware without the necessity of bootstrapping it to 1.5, but at the moment it is impossible

PSNU: You can explain to us what is bootstrapping?

DA: Bootstrapping is the starting of the PSP. It begins with the boot-up program that is loading the first modules of firmware, which in turn load the rest of modules as well.

PSNU: Do you think that SONY will make it difficult to decrypt 3.0?

DA: No matter how difficult they make it, it's just code that can be decompiled. They cannot make magic, their archives must decrypt somehow, and that way is somewhere in their code

PSNU: We would like to know if you have thought about continuing with the HEN-C for the unfortunate users of the TA-082 motherboards, or is it already finalized.

DA: I might work on it more if I can find some more time.

PSNU: Will you include some great improvements for version C of the 2.71SE?

DA: Aside from support for the .DAX format and usbhost not that much more to put. The ability to change the speed of the CPU is also something to add.

PSNU: Don't you think that it's already time for Booster to release the source code of Devhook? What improvements could you/would you wish to make to it?

DA: Booster was thinking about releasing them, but first he wants to eliminate the code that disassembles the firmware to avoid any problems, although I doubt that it is illegal.

PSNU: Any news on what he's been up to?

DA: A beta of a DevHook running on 2.80 exists, that also works for 2.81 (2.82 not tested yet). ISO support is missing, and it has many problems which causes your PSP to hang. Last I heard was that he was keeping himself occupied with the Nintendo DS (I do not have any idea of what he is doing for that scene)

PSNU: Any idea why this beta is having so many problems? The rest of firmwares were easily emulated once they were decrypted.

DA: I don't know, it can that the problems have to do with the fact that the firmware is loaded from the Memory Stick and that Sony may have had in hand in that. Maybe if it was loaded from the flash memory there wouldn't be any of those problems…

PSNU: You seem to know the limits of the PSP well enough, do you think that someday we will get a decent emulator for the PSX or N64 working?

DA: One for the Playstation could be made if somebody dedicates a long time to it(months). And for N64…well, I do not believe that it can go full speed unless it is made for a specific game.

PSNU: Did the idea to make 2.71SE come to you when you saw the DualBoot or something like that?

DA: Well I had the knowledge and I knew it was something that could be done because there was enough space in flash to do it, but I never seemed to be able to get around to doing it. Then while working on HEN and getting to know more about 2.71, I decided to do it because it seemed like it would be easy to do.

PSNU: What you would say to the people out there that still don't trust in 2.71SE and are still using what is called the last good firmware (1.50)?

DA: I say that they should at least give 2.71SE a try, it doesn't bite.

PSNU: Out of pure curiosity… What is your favorite game for the PSP?

DA: Tales Of Eternia, but to be truthful, I haven't played any games in a long time.

PSNU: Thank you again for granting us this interview

DA: Don't mention it

christophe
November 18th, 2006, 15:26
cool. i read over at pspgen.com that a new version of psx-p is to be released this weekend. sorry i know this hasnt got anything to do with the interview.. but hey any news is good news right?

nyrtrublue
November 18th, 2006, 15:29
well actually it does bc alex said that a psx emu is possible

Any how even though its not a release of something i love hearing from Dark_Alex just out of pure respect

kando
November 18th, 2006, 15:35
well actually it does bc alex said that a psx emu is possible

we know its possible, sony is releasing one in their next firmware...:P

ty for posting this!

Poor-Kingz
November 18th, 2006, 15:42
very informative. i, too like computers and cats!

StealthCP
November 18th, 2006, 15:46
Good to hear more interviews of this sort, especially now that Dark Alex has been interviewed - I have some serious respect for this guy. The change from 1.5 to 2.71SE-B'' has been a big one for me, only adding new features while still completely retaining the old ones. He may be pleased to know I have managed to get 16 people from school so far onto his great firmware, and a great number of them loved the possibility to run any UMD game requiring any firmware (as a lot of them were on a 1.5 build I had done for them and couldn't play their new GTA:LCS) so kudos to you, Alex!

splodger15
November 18th, 2006, 16:04
A beta of a DevHook running on 2.80 exists

Cant wait for a release of this

Vega
November 18th, 2006, 16:05
Good interview. Nice to read these things, very informative.

mnuhaily22
November 18th, 2006, 16:10
Wow, so he isn't a robot, he does talk like me.lol

blackrave
November 18th, 2006, 16:10
Yep, great interview. We need more of these.
Dark_AleX is a great guy.

Cloudhunter
November 18th, 2006, 16:27
Wow, so he isn't a robot, he does talk like me.lol

It's a translation :p

Cloudy

Jpdeathblade
November 18th, 2006, 16:37
Imagine if DA wrote some tuts, like how the firmware works, etc. Then everyone could learn to edit the firmware and potentialy more custom fw.

gamerremag
November 18th, 2006, 17:15
yeah but there is always that dumb person that doesnt understand it and messes it all up. (kinda like something i would do) but it would be kool

carlitx
November 18th, 2006, 17:16
I Love Da!

LilSwish722
November 18th, 2006, 17:21
man...i have massive respect for Dark_aleX...he's only 23 years old. that means that i might have a chance of being a great coder if i dedicate the time to it. currently im learning lua but id like to be like DA someday...hey im fourteen right now and 9 years till im 23. who knows what will happen in that time. DA will prbably come out with his own custom PSP that plays games from the DS like it plays games for the PSP haha. We can Dream. Great INterview.

Basil Zero
November 18th, 2006, 17:33
awesome, but it doesnt play ISOs and it has problems, hmmm, i think i could wait longer for next dev hook

mr_nick666
November 18th, 2006, 17:41
Great to hear from the big man! :p One of the great contributers to the homebrew scene :D Good to know things are still being worked on too :rolleyes:

mavsman4457
November 18th, 2006, 18:07
Everybody loves Dark_Alex and this was a great interview but I would like to hear what he has to say about being blamed for many people's bricks when they tried the 2.6 beta downgrader. Do you guys remember when that happened and he got blamed for all of it?

Emeriastone
November 18th, 2006, 18:29
Score!

Kvonx
November 18th, 2006, 19:19
YEAH.............NOW I KNO DARK ALEX sees things

uhoh_hotdogs
November 18th, 2006, 20:02
A beta of a DevHook running on 2.80 exists

Cant wait for a release of this
I know, me too. It's too bad that 2.82 is still untested. That means still no SOCOM FTB2 online.

darryl_marshall
November 18th, 2006, 20:05
i have devhook 0.46 on ver 1.5 psp can anyone adv me why i should change my firmware to 2.71 without the jargen? and where i can get a download from many thanks

p,s dark_alex alot or respecr to you without you id still be getting robbed by sony

starman
November 18th, 2006, 22:44
DA is great. his fav. game for the psp is the same as mine. tales of eternia ROCKS!!!

cyph3r0101
November 18th, 2006, 23:42
manh i cant wait what this guy will do to firmware 3.0 after sony rls it. maybe he'll stripped it and get the psx emulator (prx) and use it to load iso psx games (we owned). keep it up manh. ur the the hero of psp-scene

this guy earned the respect from psp-scene (i myself included). he is like bunnie who earn the respect from xbox-scene, because he cracked xbox and open new things. i dont what school he's referring to. the school might be got alot of tools to exploit a hardware... im guessing a school like MIT. this school got all equipment to crack a hardware.

aries2k4
November 19th, 2006, 00:01
Great interview. I have alot of respect for DA and it´s great to hear from the man himself. I liked that he confirmed that there really is a beta of the new devhook. There were always people saying, "no way, it´s bullshit". Well, hearing from DA, I don´t think anyone can deny it. Unfortunately it looks like it´s stuck on beta.
Anyway, 2 thumbs up to Dark Alex.

blaz3d
November 19th, 2006, 00:32
USBHost!!!!! i am so hyped bout that

I hope he makes its intergrated so ms0:/ and usbfs:/ all show under memory stick at once

peace

.:PSP1.0:.
November 19th, 2006, 01:27
Dark_Alex rocks!
Just a few words for him.. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication for the PSP scene.. Your a legend mate! *Thumbs up!*