PDA

View Full Version : Managing SD Cards on the Wii

gunntims0103
November 19th, 2006, 04:34
Turns out that first update for the Wii did a couple of things. It changed the boot-up screen, tinkered slightly with a couple of menus and added the ability to manage the data on your SD card. In particular, you can now transfer game saves and virtual console games to and from an SD card as advertised.

check out this video through youtube via kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gizmodo/managing-sd-cards-on-the-wii-215836.php)

ICE
November 19th, 2006, 04:39
so do i need a sd card reader to put crap on to it so i can access it with the Wii or what? or can i plug the Wii into the computer maybe?

Junixx
November 19th, 2006, 04:57
Yes, youll need an SD card reader for your computer

ICE
November 19th, 2006, 04:58
bloody reader.......... now i need more money........ already out of sources for money........ dang it.

PeterM
November 19th, 2006, 13:07
SD Card readers are really cheap, even in the UK where we regularly get shafted.

ICE
November 19th, 2006, 14:20
i know but i have $265 which is exactly the price of a Wii with tax.

PeterM
November 19th, 2006, 15:30
Time to get a paper round or something! :-/

ICE
November 19th, 2006, 15:42
haha ya right. i'll just steal it.... hehe

philr359
November 19th, 2006, 19:53
if you have a digital camera that reads SD, it can double as a reader. all you have to do is load the card into the camera (just dont turn it on) then access it from whatever drive lettering it gets. drag and drop your files *cough* roms *cough*:D
take out the card, put back in the Wii and you're good to go!

royalty
November 19th, 2006, 21:36
if you have a digital camera that reads SD, it can double as a reader. all you have to do is load the card into the camera (just dont turn it on) then access it from whatever drive lettering it gets. drag and drop your files *cough* roms *cough*:D
take out the card, put back in the Wii and you're good to go!

is it really that easy?

philr359
November 19th, 2006, 23:19
i theory my idea works, but im sure it wont be that easy. the Wii probably checks to make sure your roms are legal: similar to downloading mp3s from iTunes.

This will be broken in time, allowing for very easy homebrew :)

my method works well though cause you dont have to spend an extra 50 bucks for a SD card reader:D

ICE
November 19th, 2006, 23:24
ya i dont have a camera.. i sure hope it doesnt check. i got plenty of roms just waiting.. i mean *cough*roms*cough*

whitak3r
November 20th, 2006, 07:49
Hoping this isnt to old for me to bump :). Quick question though.

Waited in line for 12 hours to get a Wii lol, was going to get ps3 but there were way to many people...

Anyway, got it all hooked up and noticed that there was a SD slot. I was like COOL SD, I have one for my Digi camcorder. Poped that sucker in and nothing, nada, zip... lol, its acting like its not even there. I read that you might need to update your console before you can manage your SD cards? Shouldent my wii atleast be recognizing it being there though? Its a 2gb Sandisk SD card, works fine in my Laptop(have a SD slot for a card). I can transfer files and everything, tried formatting it, making folders, nothing.

Just thought I'd ask, do I need to update before I can have acess to SD cards for my WII?