PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Linux up and running on PlayStation 3 (with video)

wraggster
November 20th, 2006, 01:24
Ok, so we're admittedly jealous that not only does this engineering user have a PlayStation 3 in his possession, but has the time to load up Fedora Linux on it while we yearn to just sneak in a few minutes of long-awaited gameplay. While we're sure this hardcore fellow went to great lengths to get his paws on a highly-coveted unit, his endearing patience in firing up a launch title is quite admirable, and he's apparently got Linux not only installed, but up and functioning as well. While we knew that the Yellow Dog variety would be making its way over to Sony's latest console, we're thrilled to see that all the Linux hype has a backbone and a new home to boot. So if you're just dying to see what Fedora Core looks like on a Cell processor, make sure you peep the video after the break.

Video Here --> http://www.youtube.com/v/NnAn3h7kTM4

Via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/19/fedora-linux-up-and-running-on-playstation-3-with-video/)

Makaveli777
November 20th, 2006, 04:25
Cool this should lead to endless possibilities.

Video_freak
November 20th, 2006, 05:13
Wow I guess I'm getting a PS3 after all... :)

goldenmage
November 20th, 2006, 06:07
Hmmm...

Suddenly Nintendo's "Virtual Console" doesn't seem so appealing anymore...

gunntims0103
November 20th, 2006, 06:17
im working on getting Fedora Linux running on the psp coded thru lua. Its proving to be very difficult. It will be more like a shell. But loosely based on its counter-part via the Fedora on the ps3

Muhu
November 20th, 2006, 06:29
im working on getting Fedora Linux running on the psp coded thru lua. Its proving to be very difficult. It will be more like a shell. But loosely based on its counter-part via the Fedora on the ps3
Good luck. :thumbup:

IndianCheese
November 20th, 2006, 16:40
"Default System"? So it is MEANT to run other operating systems?

muffinman
November 20th, 2006, 17:21
yeah, i guess it is somewhat like a computer then

C0R3F1GHT3R
November 20th, 2006, 17:39
yeah, i guess it is somewhat like a computer then
the only reason i'd buy it!

blaz3d
November 20th, 2006, 18:05
i cant wait until march its gona kill me. This will allow for some great homebrew. Gona pre-order one of theese bad boys

Klippoth
November 21st, 2006, 03:50
Hey, I'm the guy behind the video. And in response, Yeah, Sony actually designed it to run another OS. They had planned to have Linux pre-installed on systems, but then stated that the version of Linux they were going to use wasn't ready in time. That version is actually Yellow Dog linux, which I have to say, looks remarkable. It is going to be released on a paid basis in a couple of weeks, but around Christmas they said it would final be open for free download. I can't wait for that. And I know how backwards Sony's stance on this seems compared to their efforts to stomp out any and all homebrew on the PSP, but I remember that the reason they marketed the short-lived Linux For Playstation kit for the PS2 was to try to finagle out of some European Tax restrictions on video game consoles, by trying to get it reclassifies as a "computer". They lost that case and ended up paying the video game tax, but if they end up pre-installing Yellow Dog Linux on all systems by the time it releases in Europe, then they just might have a case...