PDA

View Full Version : PSP Video Server

wraggster
November 20th, 2006, 02:09
Heres an excerpt:

The video player died in our minivan a few weeks ago, sending my kids into a death spiral of Wiggles withdrawal. In retrospect, it would probably have been better never to have the video player, but it seduced us with the promise of hypnotically transfixed children who would never again ask, "Are we there yet?" I had to have it back, only better. So I built a video server for the minivan.

What I wanted for the van was the equivalent of what we had already working at home, where MythTV running on a $300 Linux box stores every episode of Arthur, Dora the Explorer, Dragon Tales, Rolie Polie Olie, Cyberchase (my son Channing's favorite), Jimmy Neutron (my favorite), and many other programs -- more than 500 shows in all. It's squeaky-clean content in every sense, including the best of all -- no peanut butter fingerprints. I just had to find a way to move this capability to the car for almost no money.

My output device of choice was the Sony PlayStation Portable or PSP -- a handheld game system with a widescreen LCD that plays movies beautifully. We had one, thanks to a grandmother who had no idea that two-year-olds don't get such things for their birthdays, and when they do get them they try to flush them down the toilet.

Full Article (http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061116_001214.html)

MUDD
November 20th, 2006, 02:37
i wont allow my kids to watch the wiggles .
i cant think of one show i like for kids that is not animation.maybe crashbox but all the shows
that have humans in them suck and the wiggles
is the worse.

wish i could have something like this for my kids on the go and wait and wait and wait.

Basil Zero
November 20th, 2006, 03:34
wiggles?

man, the first thing i'll show my kids is GTA lol

seriously, would not show them any of the shows that they show on tv......for a good reason

Basil Zero
November 20th, 2006, 03:34
that is if i had any children

btw, sry for double post

sony.1991
November 20th, 2006, 10:40
Can you tell us a bit more info? Like how are you sending to the psp? Does it stream live tv? mabey write a tutorial.

mr_nick666
November 20th, 2006, 13:44
This is a really good idea :) Im quite surprised I havent seen it done before to be honest :rolleyes: The PSP is so versatile :p

Kloe
November 21st, 2006, 01:29
and how are you doing this? that's the only part i'm interested in... who cares about the backstory explain to us how you are making a video server for your car so we can do it too. O.o