PDA

View Full Version : Wii Easily Hackable?

abeisgreat
November 20th, 2006, 05:35
I got wii today with the intention of hacking it. So, I downloaded Super Mario 64 and I got a couple savs and transfered all that info on my sd I then put it in my pc and found the wii will be easily hackable. The whole thing is really organized and extremely easy to back-up saves to your pc or in the future easily hombrewable. I deduced that when you select a wii channel It goes through these folders to find the bin file:

Private-Wii-Title-(then any saves or Vc games)-(then a .bin)

Once it finds it it will boot it. So I bet you can easily figure out which bin is which save and back them up on your pc. The same with vc title. Then I bet you could just switch one save for another and one vc game for another or a homebrew app.

chemical
November 20th, 2006, 09:44
What I want to know is can you save that actual game to your SD card or just the save?

If you can save the game it would really helpful if you could dump it on your PC and upload, see if people can use it on there Wii's too and if they convert the files to work on a regular N64 PC Emu, or get a N64 PC Rom to work on Wii by making it the same file type.

Just to note, I don't have a Wii so I'm not looking to just take your SM64 and put it on my wii =-/

abeisgreat
November 21st, 2006, 02:25
well, I transfered Super Mario 64 to my sd and it came up on my pc so im pretty sure you can transfer the game

grantendo
November 21st, 2006, 03:18
Well we can just start a collection of "Chanles" on the web and people can dowload them right?
pop in The SD and play!
Note: you can store Mii's on the Wii mote!,
you can also drag will chanels to the SD

dmauro
November 21st, 2006, 05:41
We should start by comparing what is different in the same channels depending on which Wii they are coming from. I don't have any virtual console games, but we should compare the regular channels and see if there is anything about them that makes them unique to each machine. I'll put them on my SD card and take a look when I get a chance.

abeisgreat
November 21st, 2006, 05:51
ok i only did a little investigating in this so you guys can take it from here

dmauro
November 21st, 2006, 07:36
Well we can just start a collection of "Chanles" on the web and people can dowload them right?
pop in The SD and play!
Note: you can store Mii's on the Wii mote!,
you can also drag will chanels to the SD
I took this to mean you could transfer the Mii channel, weather channel, etc to your SD card, but this is not the case. Perhaps I will download Zelda just so I have something to put on the SD card to check out.

Also, we know that virtual console games don't work on other systems, but do Wii game saves work on different systems?

abeisgreat
November 21st, 2006, 07:39
i dont know anyone with a wii to transfer saves so i dont know

risio
November 21st, 2006, 16:39
Hey I have a Zelda save if you would like to try it out!

abeisgreat
November 21st, 2006, 19:08
email your save to me and I will try to get it to work, I will pm you my email address

dmauro
November 21st, 2006, 19:19
I tried putting saves for Twilight Princess and Wii Sports onto my SD card, but I cannot view them with my PC. I double checked to make sure hidden files are set to visible, and still nothing. Any idea why I can't see them?

abeisgreat
November 21st, 2006, 19:32
uhm, no when i put my sd in my pc they where in my private folder, do you see that folder?

dmauro
November 22nd, 2006, 05:48
No. The only folder showing up is Misc, which I think is something the camera put on there.

Heran_Bago
November 22nd, 2006, 11:28
Yes, you can back up virtual console channels and game saves to an SD card.
A Virtual Console "channel" is the Emulator and the ROM image bundled together and encrypted, with IDs on the end.

The encrypted files will only boot on your Wii. You know hte whole process off spending Wii points? And it's recorded on your Wii so you can keep downloading them?

Guess what. It's a secure system. Just because you have a binary file doesn't mean you can suddenly run your own homebrew. Good luck brute-force cracking that encryption.

I'm sure the first thing you did when you got your content.bin file was open it up in a hex editor right? Then you should know exactly what I'm talking about.
Aside from the IDs on the file at the end, the encryption is different every time. Compare your VC file with a friends'.

Jesus Christ someone tell me that they're doing something technical rather than going "hmm there's a SD card slot this thing's going to get hacked soo easy!" I doubt anyone here can even program for it.

Dax420
November 22nd, 2006, 18:20
Jesus Christ someone tell me that they're doing something technical rather than going "hmm there's a SD card slot this thing's going to get hacked soo easy!" I doubt anyone here can even program for it.

Wow someone is in a bad mood this morning.... :(

The first thing *I* did was copy a save to the SD card and open it up with a hex editor too.

That is the OBVIOUS fist thing anyone will do. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that there will be a game (probably 3rd party) where the load save file function isn't protected from buffer overflow where copying a save file to the SD, editing it with a HEX editor to remove the contents from inside the wrapper and pasting in a boot loader will result in remote code execution on the Wii.

I don't see you contributing anything useful, so STFU.

And your comment about I doubt anyone here can program for it, is stupid. Its a PPC processor. It will run GC-Linux if you were able to get it to boot from the optical drive. All we need to do is get a stack overflow to start executing unsigned code from the optical drive. If we can use the SD card saves to do that, then so be it.

abeisgreat
November 22nd, 2006, 20:07
Really Heran_Bago we may not be geniuses but we can probaly hack a wii, so if you arent going to contribute then leave this thread!

Junixx
November 22nd, 2006, 23:33
Hm..wonder if a tiff exploit would be possible such as with the PSP

abeisgreat
November 23rd, 2006, 04:06
could be

skater9269
November 23rd, 2006, 05:37
there are plenty of hacking oppertunities but since the wii is updatable and also since nintendo is selling roms and emus VC there will be a sytem update to block any homebrew im sure but then itll turn out like the psp. also no there is no way that there can be a tiff exploit with out the abillity to view tiff files which as of now seems to be unincluded in the firmware for the wii.

abeisgreat
November 23rd, 2006, 05:53
NO ROM TALK!!! but you are most likely correct

Kronok
November 23rd, 2006, 06:32
Wii saves are, indeed, sharable. www.wiisave.com has saves and a tutorial on how to do it. It's really simple.

abeisgreat
November 23rd, 2006, 06:33
that site sucks they have like no saves

Kronok
November 23rd, 2006, 08:13
Give it some time, the Wii hasn't been out that long and people haven't gotten that far into their games yet.

abeisgreat
November 23rd, 2006, 20:29
ya, your right i hope thatsite gets packed with saves

Nafogel
November 23rd, 2006, 21:13
this is pretty cool, i'm curious to see just how much of a challenge it will be to run homebrew on the wii, it may be hard, but its not impossible...

abeisgreat
November 24th, 2006, 02:39
Its definately not impossible but it will be hard it may take months for someone to come out with a way for anyone to hack there Wii

travis134
November 25th, 2006, 21:17
I don't think the Wii will be so easily hacked, just because it has a SD card bus. Here is some information I have dug up. I think we need to look at the hardware for exploits and backdoors, rather than the software...

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=285339#post285339

abeisgreat
November 26th, 2006, 08:14
sweet info, but i disagree I bet we will be able to use an AR and boot a wii version of sdload through the sd port

acn010
November 26th, 2006, 08:28
you see "abeisgreat". now im very tempted to buy a wii which i do not have money to buy it.
its either the wii or my rent.....

abeisgreat
November 26th, 2006, 08:40
Ok, three things acn010, First Id go with the wii over rent any day, Second that is a little of topic, Third you dont have to put my name in quotations. Abeisgreat is like my real name, like if im walking down the street people wont say hi abe, they will say Hi Abeisgreat.

masterpaul
November 26th, 2006, 10:24
hmm, if we can only make a Developer Chanel on Wii, which reads everything what you have on your SD cards (e.g homebrew games etc.)

acn010
November 26th, 2006, 10:40
Ok, three things acn010, First Id go with the wii over rent any day, Second that is a little of topic, Third you dont have to put my name in quotations. Abeisgreat is like my real name, like if im walking down the street people wont say hi abe, they will say Hi Abeisgreat.

lol dude, i recently bought the ps3 and 42 inch HDMI plasma tv and 1000 WATT suround sound system which costed me $3,200 USD and i paid in credit card and just paid to the bank $2,700 USD and the Wii is out.... im turning crazy, i have to wait till next year when my balance is in order
oh and i put the quotation marks to notice the person that im saying towards him/her, most people are lazy to read.

abeisgreat
November 26th, 2006, 20:15
oK, anyway it is still offtopic

travis134
November 27th, 2006, 04:12
Good luck with the software exploit, but it has not worked on the Xbox360, so as long as Nintendo isn't stupid, which they very well maybe, we should look at full-proof hacks instead of "could be" hacks.

Have you guys tested anything, or are you just talking...

Anyways, I need to get a wii so I can open the sucker up and see how it all works.

abeisgreat
November 27th, 2006, 06:34
I havent done many test yet and i dont know about anyone else

travis134
November 27th, 2006, 22:17
Lol, as I expected, well start testing your theories and logging them!

abeisgreat
November 28th, 2006, 02:29
Ya, i will start testing soon.

travis134
November 28th, 2006, 06:41
k, sounds good. Once I get my Wii, I will open it and make a video tutorial on how to do so.

abeisgreat
November 28th, 2006, 16:34
cool

Yami Mario
November 30th, 2006, 10:24
Hi! Im new to this fourum. Once i get a wii, i hope there wiil be some Wii homebrew games!

waternova
November 30th, 2006, 22:12
BTW, someone mentiond GC-Linux on the Wii? It has already been done, using a... umm... oh yeah! action replay inserted into the memory slot

abeisgreat
December 1st, 2006, 05:41
ya, we know

Yami Mario
April 8th, 2007, 16:21
Hmmm.... Why dont we try booting a GC game/AR in Wii mode... But we cant right now.
Anyway i worked a little with this, and i found out that you can boot a USA/JAP GC DVD on your Wii PAL WITHOUT a Freeloader. How? Simple. Insert a normal GC DVD into your Wii and go to the Disc Channel, then eject you GC DVD, hurry and prees start before you cant. Then (hurry again) insert the USA/JAP DVD into your Wii(While your Wii lights blue).
Its the first time i found a glitch on a system!!

BerserkerGutts
April 8th, 2007, 23:57
^^ pretty cool. didn't know that.