PDA

View Full Version : Java on Dreamcast?

rmedtx
November 20th, 2006, 20:50
Guys,

Is there a way to run java applications on DC?

mcvader
November 20th, 2006, 21:17
Don't know but That would be awesome, mobile phone games on a widescreen LCD TV lol

rmedtx
November 20th, 2006, 23:37
Don't know but That would be awesome, mobile phone games on a widescreen LCD TV lol

mcvader,

I was thinking on more complex applications. :p
One of our latest projects is a game created in java. I'm wondering if there is a way to play it on DC.

Cloudhunter
November 20th, 2006, 23:52
I'm not sure if there is a Java interpreter for the dreamcast. If there is one that supports it, then yes. If not, then no... simple as that.

Cloudy

Darksaviour69
November 21st, 2006, 09:20
to the best of my knowledge, no

rmedtx
November 21st, 2006, 15:18
Thanks for your help guys,

What a shame there is no java for DC,I hope somebody will come up with it. There are a lot of cool Java games out there...

J_Villa1983
January 20th, 2007, 14:47
Hey guys did you know that Sun has just recently open sourced Java?? I dont know which components, some if not all are available.. but, if someone could get the source code for the intrepreter, if it was available, and recompile for the dreamcast chipset. It might work.
I'm not saying that its going to be easy cut-n-paste but I feel that it would be feasible. Is there anyway to figure out what runs resident in memory on boot? and how much is available to play with? That would be another factor too..

also if Sun's java isnt an option have any of you thought of trying GIJ as an Interpreter? I know its not as advanced as Sun's java (Only recently its integrated Java 1.5 functionaility, I have no idea about Hotspot compiling though). If anything else this might be a possibility too..

-JV

J_Villa1983
January 20th, 2007, 19:18
I also thought of another possible direction to take with all of this...

What might be a cool idea or a pipe dream would be to take a version of linux and strip all the productive krap from it leaving only X server, X sound system, Network and whatever stripped down components that we would need to run basic X functions. From there we could use that as a launch pad to run our applications off of. (I would guess by defining a pointer file to the main app.). The great part about this approach and using Java in general is that, this would also give us access to OpenGL and OpenAL as APIs to use..

I'm not a complete whiz at these things i'm just a student of C.S and I love the Dreamcast.. i'm just operating off pipe dreams and Ideas at this point.

i'll update when I think of more..

-JV

Elven6
January 20th, 2007, 20:22
Youtube on DC? That would be awesome, if their is indeed a source out that would be awesome.

J_Villa1983
January 20th, 2007, 22:51
Actually what your probably referring to is Flash.. Java really has very little if nothing at all to do with displaying video in youtube.

kohan69
February 21st, 2007, 08:10
java is a memory hog, 16mb won't cut it.

J_Villa1983
February 21st, 2007, 16:07
Maybe not the javavm that is used for home computers, but J2ME would probably suit the dreamcast just fine.

rmedtx
February 21st, 2007, 16:33
Do you guys know if anybody is working on a port?

bigral
March 18th, 2007, 23:32
java is a memory hog, 16mb won't cut it.

java alredy running on DC for years, just take a look at PlanetWeb3 browser it is just an java application, it is relatively easy change it to run your own classes. Java applets supported out of the box.