PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii: Is it worth it?

gunntims0103
November 20th, 2006, 21:15
news via pcworld (http://www.pcworld.ca/news/article/06e643280a0104080187a6044fa3c77f/pg1.htm)

The Wii's greatly innovative controller, coupled with its vast library of game titles from Nintendo's and Sega's library, make it a very attrctive (and affordable) gaming option.

What about those games?
The flagship game, without a doubt, is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and there's no real reason to explain why. Even those who won't know much about gaming will probably recognize that franchise.

From my first impressions, Zelda on the Wii lives up to the hype, but even games like Excite Truck and Madden 07 are titles that surprise with their innovative style of game play. Now, when you overthrow a pass to your receiver or crash into a tree, you won't have much to blame other than yourself. Gamers will probably appreciate something like that more.

With 30 titles hitting shelves before the New Year, along with another 30 retro games that will be available for download, the Wii lineup is pretty strong, but Nintendo will have to stay innovative and aggressive if they're to keep people's attention when games like Mass Effect and Too Human eventually come out for the other consoles.

Still, Nintendo has the advantage of having a library of games that reaches far beyond what we could imagine. Being able to play all of the GameCube's 530 titles without any defects ( a la the PS3 and Xbox 360) is a necessary add-on, but, when the game libraries of all the past Nintendo consoles are be made available, it's hard to pass up the chance to play some of those classics on a big screen. (For more on the PS3 vs. Wii debate, click here).

And let's not forget that the Sega library from the Genesis and Turbografx 16 will also be made available as well. You'll have to dish out some cash or use "Wii points" to get the games, so don't think they're being offered as freebies. Expect to fork over about US$5 for a retro NES game to US$10 for an N64 game.

How many will be made available hasn't been announced, but Nintendo definitely has a nice revenue stream in the works here, so rest assured, they won't keep those retro titles locked up for too long.

One thing that intrigues me about upcoming Wii titles is how an NHL game will play on this console. If you can be a quarterback in Madden, could you also take a slap shot in a game like NHL 07? Hopefully, we'll find out sooner than later.

Is it worth it?
If you're looking for something different and innovative, then damn right it is. Nintendo is gambling that, if they don't take on the other two big boys head-on, then they just might be able to reap the benefits of the untapped market that is casual and non-gamers.

The Wii isn't a console with bells and whistles, and I already explained why. If not for the games, this thing would be as useful as a doorstop.

Nintendo executives have already told me that they're not interested in going to HD until it becomes mass market, and that likely won't happen for another couple of years, at the least.

There will be those who scoff at the fact the graphics can't compete or that titles like Grand Theft Auto aren't on the horizon. But, the Wii will undoubtedly appeal to a lot of people, especially those who have been intimidated by the evolution and complexity of the gaming industry.

And, with a price point of $280, it's hard to go wrong. To put it in perspective, Apple's latest iPod is only $30 cheaper. Wii games are going for $60 right now, though it wouldn't surprise me if that drops another $10 over the next six to 12 months.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you enjoy playing most, but even if you have one of the other consoles, the Wii may still be an attractive option, especially since the price can only go down from here.

But, it's nice to see a console that's more about the games and the people that play them. If you dig that sort of thing, than grab a Wii controller and swing away.

I for one believe that purchasing a Nintendo Wii is worth it!

SSaxdude
November 20th, 2006, 21:30
Yes it was worth it.

I heart Nintendo
November 20th, 2006, 23:21
Ditto! It IS worth it. I don't even have the console, but I'll support that it IS worth it. Because I'm Nintendo's bitch and I know the Wii will rock when it launches in the UK.

December 8 - *Woooooooooooo!!!*

woods05
November 21st, 2006, 05:48
get a Wii

Video_freak
November 21st, 2006, 05:50
I'm debating Wii and 360...

SnesR0X
November 21st, 2006, 08:32
im getting all three! yay! in about 3 years:(
first wii
than 360