PDA

View Full Version : Custom gameboots work dangerously on 2.80

wraggster
November 20th, 2006, 22:34
Via PSPfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/11/20/custom-gameboots-work-dangerously-on-2-80/)

Those with homebrew on their PSPs have enjoyed a featured called "custom gameboots" for quite some time. These gameboots replace the PSP's default introductory sequence when launching a game. Players that were bored with seeing the PSP logo appear in front of a plain white background made cooler intros, usually involving anime characters, or ironically, gameboots from other machines.

It's been revealed that custom gameboots now work on PSPs with firmware 2.80. However, the method used is somewhat complicated that those without strong technical skills will certainly brick their PSPs trying to use it. "There are absolutely no safeguards in place when you use this program, and it allows you to do anything to any of the files in flash0. On firmware 2.80, even replacing a single PRX module will nearly guarantee a brick. We feel it's important to keep you guys safe, so we're going to keep this relatively quiet until a safer method can be published."

It appears that Sony's official firmware 2.80 has been cracked open like an egg. Expect the development community to continue to develop more and more interesting uses for the PSP as the weeks go by.

bassmaster1313
November 20th, 2006, 22:45
am i confused, or does this mean that there is kernal mode access with 2.80?
downgrader soon?

:-( sadly i have a TA-082, so i will just have to use the eloader for a while(or forever)

acn010
November 20th, 2006, 22:48
downgrader soon?

:-( sadly i have a TA-082, so i will just have to use the eloader for a while(or forever)

look up for softdater?

:rofl: omg, cranked like an egg, omg! lol ok, its an improvement for each version, thats good

Project.funky
November 20th, 2006, 23:14
downgrader soon?

It means anything and evrything has been unlocked on firmware 2.8 mate :D

zidanerick
November 20th, 2006, 23:20
It means anything and evrything has been unlocked on firmware 2.8 mate :D

Not yet it doesnt, it just means we are a step closer to unlocking everything

Project.funky
November 20th, 2006, 23:24
Not yet it doesnt, it just means we are a step closer to unlocking everything

but...but....he said cracked...like an egg! :(

Cloudhunter
November 20th, 2006, 23:47
The only thing that has been unlocked is flash0 writing. That isn't equal to kernel mode, or we'd be seeing downgraders already...

Cloudy

Veskgar
November 20th, 2006, 23:48
Well custom gameboots is the least exciting possibility with 2.80 flashing/cracking/hacking. I'm hoping that the door can be opened for more PSP owners with a future 2.80 downgrader.

Also, I wonder what Dark_AleX's thoughts are on this recent development. Perhaps he will evolve his custom firmware into a 2.8* SE at some point.

Usually in the past, this sort of thing starts a domino effect of breakthrough's regarding PSP firmware. Lets hope the trend continues.

Things have definitely slowed down since the DevHook & Downgrader craze of June/July and 3.00 firmware is just a week away.

kando
November 21st, 2006, 03:08
hehe the credits get lost in translation... :P

original discovery: kando
confirmation: Freeplay
other testing/help: train, birdman, vb_master, jordan, nopx86, lordsturm & cloudhunter! :)

thanks to team noobz for the xloader that allowed this in the first place :D

ab88
November 21st, 2006, 03:59
original discovery: kando
confirmation: Freeplay
other testing/help: train, birdman, vb_master, jordan, nopx86, lordsturm & cloudhunter! :)

thanks to team noobz for the xloader that allowed this in the first place :D

Yeah, I remember Kando discovered this a few days ago. He was the only one with the balls to attempt writting into his flasč0 partition. He SHOULD be mentioned on the article...:mad:

Destroyer699
November 21st, 2006, 04:02
Show us those videos kando. Then they will believe you.

kando
November 21st, 2006, 04:26
anyone whos really in the scene already knows :)

but for the hell of it...http://forums.qj.net/f-eloader-and-201-homebrew-discussion-207/t-proof-flash0-readwritedelete-access-in-280-w-xloader-79170.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXWiwBfVUtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mEI0Kk5OLQ

cheers :)

Mr. Shizzy
November 21st, 2006, 06:22
Yes great find kando. You took a great risk for us all. :D It would be nice if Dark_AleX made a "random gameboot" option in his next SE firmware update.

Boardman2411
November 21st, 2006, 22:11
does this mean thatw e can add prx files, so that we can use that vcs cheat device?