PDA

View Full Version : Mario and Pac-man homebrew on PS3

gunntims0103
November 20th, 2006, 22:54
news via palgn (http://palgn.com.au/article.php?title=Emulators+already+up+and+running +on+PS3&id=5955&sid=0e12046b7d7240461fadc5414efdf930)

Buy a PS3. Play Mario and Pac-Man.*

It's so new that it's still collecting four-figure sums on eBay, but already some PlayStation 3 owners have got a selection of emulators running on the console. Super Mario Bros. and Pac-Man are just two of the titles that have been spotted playing on PS3 hardware over at video site YouTube, with other videos showing how users have also got the MAME arcade machine emulator running on the system.

Not that any of this is hugely surprising. Sony has let it be known for some time that the PlayStation 3 will be capable of running Linux, and with emulators widely accessible on the operating system, it was only a matter of time before this kind of thing emerged. Whether or not allowing Linux on the PS3 is actually a fairly cunning bid by Sony to undermine the commercial efforts of Microsoft and Nintendo's Xbox Live Arcade and Virtual Console services is another debate entirely of course...

*Or don't. Because it's illegal. And Sony does read what we post.

F9zDark
November 20th, 2006, 23:22
Since when is it illegal to play emulators?

gunntims0103
November 20th, 2006, 23:25
Since when is it illegal to play emulators?

i guess its saying playing mario and pac-man is illegal on the ps3:rolleyes:

blaz3d
November 21st, 2006, 00:02
I am so getting a ps3 on uk launch, just cant wait until then.

The only law broke would be the digital rights act if you own the games and arent distributing them. personally i only emulate the games of my child hood really.

What would be nice to see developed is a linux os for the 'newbies' who dont have a clue about linux

peace