PDA

View Full Version : PSP Remote Play Kinda Worthless

wraggster
November 21st, 2006, 18:28
News via Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/psp-remote-play-kinda-worthless-216333.php)

Man, I sure hope Sony does something to fix Remote Play because as it stands it's nothing more than an interesting odditiy.

All it does now is let you play music, videos and pictures that are stored on your Playstation 3's harddrive. While you can also browse around a mirror image of the PS3 Menu, which is a copy of the PSP Menu, you can't do much else. You can use the PS3's Internet browser, instead of the PSP's, you can read and send messages through the PSP, but in general it seems sorta worthless.

Initially, I thought the music playback was choppy, but after testing it a few times I realized that playback was choppy for the first few seconds, but quickly smooths out. The single neat thing about Remote Play is that while listening to music stored on your PS3 your PSP also gets treated to the mellow visualizer, which is kinda neat.

In theory, you are supposed to be able to play games you purchased at the online Playstation store on your PSP, but the directions are pretty damn confusing. There's nothing that tells you, for instance, which games you can or cannot play from the store. So my assumption is that all of them are playable on the PSP, though I suspect I'm wrong.

I'm in the process now of downloading Cash Guns Chaos to my PSP. That's right, you have to download the damn thing, you can't just copy it from your PS3 to your PSP's memory card. That right there is genius design. This will be the third time I download this eternally slow 326 MB file from the store.

I'll do a post when I get it on my system and working, probably in a year since the download is still stuck at zero after ten minutes.

Even if I did like the PS3 access granted to the PSP, it still would have issues. For instance, you have to leave your PS3 both on and in Remote Play mode to be able to use Remote Play on your PSP. And, worse still, right now it only works within your home.

Pretty worthless all around.

Any agree or disagree ?

Nookadum
November 21st, 2006, 18:35
Doesn't the PS3 have a MagicGate port?

erix2006
November 21st, 2006, 19:04
Omg... The whole 3.0 is pointless.... I wont upgrade I ll stick with my 2.82.... Hope soon Ill play homebrew on it.... :)

erix2006
November 21st, 2006, 19:39
So did the 0% changed to 1%??? :D

jerrt
November 21st, 2006, 20:42
i have a psp and my gf has a newer psp that i can't downgrade due to it being a ta-082. i'm thinking about putting the 3.0 firmware on it just to mess around. I'm not going to buy and psx games, but it would be kinda cool to mess with the ps3 interconnectivity. I might get a little busy tonight so we will just have to wait and see. [:

F9zDark
November 21st, 2006, 21:45
I posted in the thread about this on the PS3 forum so I will post what I said there in here:

Yeah right worthless; all I would want out of remote play is music, movies, photos and net. Playing games was really only secondary to me...

People are just so damned quick kick Sony while their down and its really starting to get old...

Tonx_9
November 21st, 2006, 22:18
omg i thought version 3.00 would be awsome but its crap!

Distortional
November 21st, 2006, 23:20
I love how he complains that you have to keep the PS3 on during remote play.

I'm thinking, well try to use it remotely when it's off. Good luck to you my good sir.