PDA

View Full Version : UK to get "incredible" Wii launch

wraggster
November 21st, 2006, 20:31
via rpgsite (http://www.rpgsite.net/news/159.html)

Being in the inner circle of several gaming publications, I often get wind of rumours and supposed "plans" that never happen. However, I made it my personal mission to investigate as many as possible.

Today, I heard from the PR agency of a company rather close to Nintendo (who must remain nameless) that there's going to be a very exciting Wii launch in the UK - and it's going to be announced this week.

After making more calls around, I can confirm that the UK retailer Gamestation has been chosen by Nintendo to help them give the console a European launch to remember.

Gamestation is no stranger to deals with the big gaming companies - just weeks ago we reported that their entire lower floor of one store became the Microsoft section - painted green, with over 16 360s playable, both in and out of demo units.

The Wii Launch is set to happen at two Gamestation Stores - Birmingham New Street; the largest in the country, and where the Xbox Floor is, and for all the Scots their Edinburgh store will also be holding an event.

Considering this what Microsoft did to the store just generally, not even for a launch party, it'll be extremely exciting to see what happens. Gamestation's Head Office confirmed that both stores would be opening at Midnight, and there would be an invite-only party to celebrate the Wii launch as customers pick up their consoles from the store. Rumours right now point to a huge party with Nintendo Executives in attendance. Perhaps the main floor of the store will be redecorated to feature the Wii like the Xbox Basement?

The Birmingham store told us that they had around 400 preorders, and believed they would be getting more consoles than this; so if you want to be to be a part of UK gaming history and pick up a Wii at the UK's official Wii launch party, be at Birmingham New Street at 11:59 on December 7th!

We’ve already got our invite sorted, and we’ll be there with still and video cameras to document the party.

Buzz words all round - Nintendo PR said it would be "exciting, and a fitting launch for the Wii" while a Gamestation spokesperson described it as "incredible."

Gamestation and Nintendo PR declined to give us any further information, but told us that there would be an official announcement this week. Rest assured, the second the press release drops in my inbox, details will be here on RPGSite. Stick with us.

Accordion
November 21st, 2006, 22:57
unfortunately, i hate gamestation... so i didnt preorder from them [GAME online instead], but i might have a quick look at the birmingham store,

it would be nice to see some demo units before launch in the shops as well...