PDA

View Full Version : Metareview: Red Steel

wraggster
November 21st, 2006, 20:33
Looks like the game did not recover from its less-than-stellar showing at E3. With two of the three largest game reviewing outlets slapping the game silly in their reviews, are we to believe the game is that bad? What do you fine and intelligent readers who picked the game up already say?

Gamespot - 55%: "Red Steel isn't completely devoid of merit, but it's a half-baked, buggy game that feels rushed and poorly executed. There's a good concept in here somewhere, as a swords-and-guns shooter pitting you against yakuza villains certainly seems like it could be very exciting. However, the experience itself hardly fulfills any of the promises behind it. So if you're looking for an exciting new way to simulate gunning or cutting lots of dudes down using the Wii Remote, you'd best keep looking."
eToychest - 78%: "However, despite its faults, the long and short of it is that Red Steel is a fun first-person shooter, and hopefully a decent indicator of where developers will be able to take this genre on the Wii. The title controls extremely fluid, and is likely to draw praise from those PC gamers who up until now have been turned off by how the first-person shooter genre has been portrayed on the home console market. This is certainly one of the stronger titles for the Wii's retail debut, and while certainly not for everyone, is still a commendable example of the immersive experiences the Wii is capable of conveying."
1UP - 50%: "Don't be fooled into thinking Red Steel reinvents the FPS. It's nothing more than a ho-hum shooter with a creative but flawed gimmick stapled on. Sure, it might not steal the launch lineup, but at least it proves this type of game is welcome on the Wii."

I heart Nintendo
November 21st, 2006, 21:04
That's awful. Not to mention it's ruined my plans! Red Steel was the 1 game I was going to buy at launch alongside Zelda!! I may still buy it. *shrugs*

Is'lan
November 22nd, 2006, 05:51
Though I agree that it is not that great of a game, I do not regret my $50 on it. Though the controls can be finicky, I still manage to find it a lot of fun after the first three levels (when the game really gets going), and I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet, which I hear also makes for a good time.