PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Canada Reveals Wii Top Sellers

gunntims0103
November 22nd, 2006, 15:37
news via gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11814)

Although specific sale results from the U.S. are unlikely until the usual NPD monthly data next month, Nintendo Canada has revealed the top five selling Wii games in their own territory.

Unsurprisingly, the best selling game was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, with some Canadian retailers reporting an almost 1:1 hardware to software sales ratio for the game. The second best selling game was Ubisoft’s exclusive title Red Steel and, in third place, Activision’s WWII shoot ‘em-up Call of Duty 3. Sega’s exclusive Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz was the fourth best selling and Bandai Namco’s PlayStation 2 port Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 was number five.

In an interview with Canadian website Globeandmail.com, Nintendo Canada market director Pierre-Paul Trepanier indicates that the country saw a 100 percent sell out of the console during it’s launch on November 19th. "We're struggling to try and find a solution to a situation in which demand has far outstripped supply," said Trepanier. "The expectation was that within a few days Nintendo would still be stock everywhere."

According to Trepanier, every region in North America has been demanding more hardware, with additional nunchuck controllers apparently in particularly short demand in the Atlanta region. "We wanted that to happen eventually, but we haven't even kicked in our TV advertising yet," said Trepanier. "We purposely held back on TV advertising so that we wouldn't be advertising a product that you couldn't find in stores.”

Although no figures were given, Trepanier also described interest in the Wii’s virtual console as generating “higher than expected traffic". The retro download service saw two TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine titles – Bomberman 93 and Bonk’s Adventure - added to its roster today, after the format went unrepresented in the launch weekend line-up.

robocelot
November 22nd, 2006, 15:57
What I would like to know is who had the not-so-brilliant idea to make the launch numbers of Wiimotes to Nunchucks about an 80:20 ratio and just flood everywhere with more games than anyone knew what to do with?

Everyone was scrambling to find Nunchucks and you couldn't move a foot without tripping over a box of Zelda.

I daresay that if Nintnedo had equal numbers of Wiimotes to Nunchucks they still would have sold out, because most people weren't clued into the fact that you didn't necessarily need the chucks.

Dee-Lite
November 22nd, 2006, 16:26
That was an obvious list of top 5 games. However red steel has dissapointed many, maybe things will change when released in uk and jap.
I wanted red steel but doubt i'll get it now. Maybe i'll pick up ravin rabbids along with zelda

Dee

georgep
November 22nd, 2006, 18:45
Here in Calgary i could not find any extra nunchucks either.

The wal Mart where i got my Wii had at release day just Zelda, Exite truck and Monkey ball. So yeah then people will buy Zelda for sure ;)